2013 HW Fantasy Hockey

dlbalr

yahoo-fantasy-hockey-footer-2013.png

Our annual fantasy hockey pool, the SK League (named after Saku Koivu), is now open. It's a points-based league with 21-man rosters and two IR spots with up to 20 teams. If you were in the league last year, check your e-mail for the link to rejoin. If you weren't and would like to play, please post a note here and indicate what e-mail to send the invite to (the ID/password deal from years past I don't believe works anymore).

Maca! Nice!

Any word from Palm?

No-go for him, he wanted to focus on the H2H league. By my count, 12/15 have returned - of the three who haven't, two have confirmed they're not returning and the other (RHS) was AWOL most of last year.

Long story short to anyone reading this, there are a handful of spots still available; don't delay, join today.

No-go for him, he wanted to focus on the H2H league. By my count, 12/15 have returned - of the three who haven't, two have confirmed they're not returning and the other (RHS) was AWOL most of last year.

Long story short to anyone reading this, there are a handful of spots still available; don't delay, join today.

Bummer, he was fun to compete against. I guess everyone else's chances just got better, haha.

Sweet! As this is my first foray into fantasy sports, I'll be gunning for not last place.

This league was my first foray into fantasy hockey back in 2002. It was a little more challenging back then than now but this is still a pretty competitive league in terms of hockey knowledge. I think you could set your sights a tad higher though.

Keep shooting for those stars, Neech... keep shooting for those stars...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

This league was my first foray into fantasy hockey back in 2002. It was a little more challenging back then than now but this is still a pretty competitive league in terms of hockey knowledge. I think you could set your sights a tad higher though.

Alright, not not last place it is then! Wait...

Also, I'll probably only get home 15-20 minutes after 6:30 tonight, unfortunately. I hope that won't screw up my draft too much. Is there something I should do to prepare? (besides research different players, etc)

Alright, not not last place it is then! Wait...

Also, I'll probably only get home 15-20 minutes after 6:30 tonight, unfortunately. I hope that won't screw up my draft too much. Is there something I should do to prepare? (besides research different players, etc)

The draft got moved to 7:30, I e-mailed the commish last night to get him to move it to the time he had stated so you should be back with time to spare. My recommendation would be to review Yahoo's rankings and make yourself a bit of a 'sleeper list;' if you're worried about missing the beginning of the draft, I'd also recommend you pre-rank some players. If you're not there at your pick, Yahoo will assign you a player based on their rankings but if you pre-rank players, they'll pick based on your rankings, giving you a better chance at getting who you want.

The draft got moved to 7:30, I e-mailed the commish last night to get him to move it to the time he had stated so you should be back with time to spare. My recommendation would be to review Yahoo's rankings and make yourself a bit of a 'sleeper list;' if you're worried about missing the beginning of the draft, I'd also recommend you pre-rank some players. If you're not there at your pick, Yahoo will assign you a player based on their rankings but if you pre-rank players, they'll pick based on your rankings, giving you a better chance at getting who you want.

Thanks for the info. I should be there at 7:30.

Looks like I'll have to figure who plays what wing and such. Any pointers for a first-timer? How valuable is a goalie, for instance, or D-men versus forwards. What does a successful fantasy team look like?

Thanks for the info. I should be there at 7:30.

Looks like I'll have to figure who plays what wing and such. Any pointers for a first-timer? How valuable is a goalie, for instance, or D-men versus forwards. What does a successful fantasy team look like?

Each players' eligible position(s) is/are listed beside their name so you don't need to research that. Periodically, additional positions get added as well. The value of players vary by league (depending on roster sizes and scoring settings) so there's no blanket tips I can give you there. I also have a knack for going against the grain so I'm probably not the best to give advice as well.

One reasonable tip - this league has one starting goalie position and 20 teams. There are more than 20 starters out there so don't pick a goalie first.

Keeping the cards close to your chest, I see. Wouldn't want to give away your carefully guarded secrets. Months, nay, years of plotting coming down to tonight, can't slip up now. But what you fail to realize is that you've already shown me more than you'll ever know. Your soul is mine, dlbalr!

• Upvote 1

Keeping the cards close to your chest, I see. Wouldn't want to give away your carefully guarded secrets. Months, nay, years of plotting coming down to tonight, can't slip up now. But what you fail to realize is that you've already shown me more than you'll ever know. Your soul is mine, dlbalr!

... shit ...

I should have joined this league.

Man, this is killing me. I got on all ready to draft at 6:30, only to see it moved to 7:30. It's network TV premiere night, man!

That's what DVR's are for. :) You pick last as well which means you've gotta stick around for the whole thing unless you want to be auto-picked.

That's what DVR's are for. :) You pick last as well which means you've gotta stick around for the whole thing unless you want to be auto-picked.

It definitely sucked having to wait so long between picks, but it did make it convenient for watching stuff between them. I could in half an episode of HIMYM between picks, haha.

I have no idea what to think of my team. It seems weak, but I don't know how much of that is true and how much of it is me forgetting what a team in such a large league looks like.