Oct. 1, Leafs vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

I'm not sure Therrien is going to be able to regulate Galchenyuk's time as the season wears on. Early days, but he played really well.

He should play that kid line until they show they need a rest...they were fantastic tonight.

Colin, calm down. Price was really good tonight. Sucked on the break away. He made numerous outstanding saves. A lot of us like fighting. It was a freak accident on Parros. Until he was hurt the habs actually looked like a tough team standing up for themselves. Fighting is a good thing in hockey.

Special teams were brutal.

DD and Markov were brutal.

Loved the Eller line,

They need some help on the back end for sure. Too slow and soft.

Too many needles penalties again. I think I said that like 30 times last year.

Oh well. On to the next one.

Pluses:

- EGG line looked great.

- Penalty kill looked great

- Price made a lot of highlight saves

- Tinordi is a monster

- Loved the way the team stuck up for each other

Minues:
- The reffin' was terrible, I hope they look back on this game and are disappointed in their performance

- Briere, Pax and DD looked like shit

- Price needs to work on blocker, he gets beat there a lot

- Gionta and Borque were invisible, Plek deserves better, but he played bad tonight too.

- The cube needs to be replaced, we need more offense from the D position.

We NEED fighting gone from the game. Time to grow up.

it really wasn't a fight Orr fell down and pulled Parros with him. Unfortunately he landed on his face. Could have happened in a scrum. just really bad luck. I hope he will be ok.

And with Parros out, Fraser start running around...

Looked like Prust was trying to draw the penalty there. Some how even with 6 leafs on the ice they still got the power play

Hope Parros is ok. Was nice to see the team play tough for once. Looked like a clean knock out for the ice, maybe no concussion

Kids looked good. Might take the older guys a few games to get going

I never thought Briere was needed, and I still contest he isn't, same with Murray. This is a young kid league, there's too much stock in 'vets', sacrificing skill for experiences is a trade that is rooted in tradition more than reality.

Ah well, a sloppy opener. Price was good overall, but there was one softie and none from Reimer.

Great to see Eller come out strong, further proof that the preseason is meaningless. Our forwards still look pretty small. The Pleks line didn't do much, and their back-checking was lazy on the Phaneuf goal.

It's a shame what happened to Parros, and our supposed toughness that we added is now officially gone. Back to corporal Ryan White.

Most important is Patches' health, I hope it isn't one of those nagging wrist injuries.

Looked like Prust was trying to draw the penalty there. Some how even with 6 leafs on the ice they still got the power play

Hope Parros is ok. Was nice to see the team play tough for once. Looked like a clean knock out for the ice, maybe no concussion

Kids looked good. Might take the older guys a few games to get going

I was referring to the cross check that started it all.

The boys showed flashes of what they are capable of. Maybe just 1st game stuff. Get rid of the 1/2 hr pre game ceremony. It detracts from the game. Eller looked real good tonite as did the G kids. I thought Briere wasn't all that impressive. Tinordi will play his game and be a great stay at home defenceman. Carey let in a softie on the break away. But he also made some absolutely awesome saves. Toronto were lucky to win this game, but they had help from the refs. We will be and are better than this, but the guys need to work hard for 60 minutes not 35 or 40. I think Markov will not be re-signed, he has lost more than a step. We need him to be an offensive force but he is too easily caught in the other zone. Every time he pinches in will be an adventure. I hope Patches is ok. Parros looked good out there until that unfortunate face plant hope he is ok. Had some bad luck tonite. All in all not the end of the world. the sun will come up. :habslogo:

First game, Done...and only game 1, lets wait until game 10, to get a better picture after 1/8 of a season to see where the team is heading for the season.

After game 1, really nothing new we didnt know. as MB mentioned the " team isnt quite there yet..." but there are always positives...

DEFENCE:

--- TINORDI will be a key player for years to come, but he isnt quite there yet. One of the goals he pinched in, then recovered and got " picked". At the 6:50 minute mark of first period, Bodie just beat Tinordi clearly on outside. Still needs to work on positioning, when everyone healthy he is back in AHL for one last time.

--- MARKOV, he cant play mid 20's or plus 20's now. He still is a valuable piece of the puzzle at the 18 to 20 minute range and used properly and not over used.

--- BOUILLON, 14 minutes is the maximum for him with controlled minutes. One goal against , poor decision to over commit. Simply not enough offense given risk factor when he pinches in. TINORDI is at development phase , while FB is at end of career where his time is better used on someone else.

--- DIAZ, offense is there, DEF. is what it is, you know what you get, but his offense helps offset, unlike FB.

--- PK SUBBAN, and GORGES did what we expect...and nothing wrong with their game.

*** Concern to watch MARKOV, FB, TINORDI is not quite there yet.

OFFENCE:

--- What can say say about the ELLER line. Other then GIVE THEM MORE PLAYING TIME ( ELLER was behind BRIERE and DD in minutes WTF?????). AG at 13 and BG at 11, isnt acceptable!!

--- BRIERE other than 2 plays, was invisible didnt bring anything to the table!

--- DD, well its been mentioned too many times!! needless to say unfortunate that we are stuck with him. and ultimately will hold this team back. ( led all forwards in minute!! 18:22), --- dont need to say anything more! but whats going on!!!!?

--- PLEKANEC line will be solid, I know some will complain about GIONTA but this will be his last year, BOURQUE for what he is paid, will get his 18 to 22 goals, TP brings solid all round game.

--- 4th line is fine with PRUST, and the depth that can slide in.

PRICE: cant be faulted. He made some incredible saves, and lacked support. His rebound control will improve. CBC and Healy specific were faulting him on the SH Bozak goal, really??? and its fault also of the MARKOV turnover.!! Sure would be great on timely " great" save! but he had a few in first period that count as " timely great saves also"

At end of day, the team early on , lets wait at the 10 game mark, look for how:

--- Briere

--- DD

--- Markov

--- Bouillon

MORE TIME to : ELLER, AG, BG...

This will be the telling story of 5 key elements of the team that were sub par today, They have to be at minimum average for it to be a successful season!

I don't know how you could think there would be no concussion when he was knocked unconscious and unable to stand up afterwards.

Not a bad game overall. Stay positive, most teams lose their home openers; they had two major delays with the ceremony bs and the accident with Parros. Tinordi really tattooed Carter Ashton, love seeing a Hab feed a Leafs mucker his lunch. God, how they love their third line scrubs. Markov and Diaz on the PK is a real head scratcher. 29 teams wouldn't play Diaz on the PK. We're in "Darche on the power play " territory here. Surprise, surprise DD and Briere couldn't execute against a big D-corps. What else is new. There was a lot to like in this game.

Hopefully Tinordi learns from that fight that it's all about the counter punch. Half of these guys in the NHL have no idea how to fight, that's why Brandon Prust can take on Fraser MacClaren, he knows how to box. Which is why White can't win a fight to save his life, he never gets a grip, never. Throwing one over the top counter punch will KO them every time.

140 posts, nice to see some activity in here!

Kids looked great. I agree with those crying for Therrien to play them like crazy. Price looked like Price - fantastic for about 98% of the time. It's that other 2%. Sigh.

I said the D would suck, and they kinda do. One more injury back there and it's good night Irene.

The Parros thing made me sick. And no, it's not proof of the need to eliminate fighting. Without fighting, Parros wouldn't even be there. What it is still more g*ddamned ridiculous bad luck. Apart from the horror of seeing Parros seriously concussed, there's the fact that we were matching TO for truculence all night and making an important statement. So - OF COURSE - the key guy in making that statement, the glue that holds together the idea of the newly tough Habs, suffers a terrible freak injury.

The Habs acquired two bona-fide hard-nosed players this summer: Parros and Murray. Both are now gone, likely for extended periods. Of course they are. This is the Habs, the team that watched its best offensive player since Lafleur ruined by a knee injury, its key defenceman lost for three seasons (and returning as a shadow of himself), Pacioretty nearly killed in a deliberate and unpunished attempted manslaughter, Eller decapitated just as he was blossoming, etc.

I am sick and tired of seeing guys carted off of Bell Centre ice. And it always seems to be our guys. That's enough.

The Habs acquired two bona-fide hard-nosed players this summer: Parros and Murray. Both are now gone, likely for extended periods. Of course they are. This is the Habs, the team that watched its best offensive player since Lafleur ruined by a knee injury, its key defenceman lost for three seasons (and returning as a shadow of himself), Pacioretty nearly killed in a deliberate and unpunished attempted manslaughter, Eller decapitated just as he was blossoming, etc.

I am sick and tired of seeing guys carted off of Bell Centre ice. And it always seems to be our guys. That's enough.

Was saying the same yesterday. is there any stat where we could see the % of "very serious" injuries around the league suffered by the Habs over the last 10 years vs the % of other teams ?

Played 30 minutes of hockey instead of 60. It'll happen early on, it shouldn't happen late in the year.

Price played well. Too many penalties taken.

The team looked fantastic in the first, split the second and were deflated in the third. Getting the late goal was nice. Great to see the third line look like a first line. I expect all year we're going to have our top three lines go back and forth on who is hot and who is cold. If all three lines were hot we'd be unstoppable.

Markov's muck up during the PP leading to the shorthanded goal was really disappointing. Not the type of thing a veteran should be doing.

I thought Parros got sucker punched at first and was boiling mad but Colton Orr had nothing to do with Parros injury. It was an accident. It should also open the eyes of the NHL that their dumb helmet rule can't prevent face to ice accidents.

Jarred Tinordi's game was decent enough for a third pair blueliner and looked better than Cube I felt, but all I can think about is how much he embarrassed Ashton. I don't mind. Do a google image search on Ashton. His face is quite punchable.

It sucks to lose to the Leafs but it's a game to build from.

Oh one more thing: we have the best fourth line in the game.

Guest Stogey24

Not true.

You can be knocked out without a concussion.

First game of the season, I know, but Briere looked lost out there. He honestly coasted around waiting for the puck to come to find him. You would think in your first game with a new club and on home ice he would be puck hungry. He looked the exact same as last year. As for Desharnais... nuff' said.