Drewiske out 5-6 months

Psycing

Well, that may open up a spot longer-term for one of the rookies, unless there aren't any more injuries by the time Emelin and Murray get back. If the recovery time is on the longer side, he may miss the season.

This was originally in the injury thread but a long-term injury like this may as well get its own thread. Plus, it's a slow day and there isn't much to talk about...

It opens a debate as to whether or not both Tinordi and Beaulieu would be returned to the AHL when both Murray and Emelin return from injury.

Beaulieu really needs more time in the minors than the big guy, but Tinordi would also benefit from playing a ton of icetime, develop a bit more and be in a leadership role in Hamilton.

Will Bergevin simply use Drewiski's cap room and sign someone else's 8th d-man or are there pressbox d-men of Drewiski's calibre available in Europe (Ryan OByrne maybe)?

Will Bergevin simply use Drewiski's cap room and sign someone else's 8th d-man or are there pressbox d-men of Drewiski's calibre available in Europe (Ryan OByrne maybe)?

If they go into LTIR to fill Drewiske's spot, they're nuts. Doing so guarantees a cap penalty into next season (surely Gallagher/Galchenyuk are going to hit some of their bonuses, LTIR takes your 'cap space' to $0). All due respect to Drewiske, replacing him isn't worth incurring a penalty next year. They'll either keep rotating the youngsters until Emelin/Murray return or they'll find a similarly cheap defenceman and send one of the rookies back to Hamilton for the long haul.

It's dumb that for all of the depth at defence it seemed Bergevin had signed to start the season, we're now stuck in a position where either Beaulieu or Tinordi has to be up. I'm dying for Emelin to get back, and praying he plays as the #4 he was at. Call me crazy but I feel like he had what we used to call "the Markov effect" on Markov himself. He allowed Markov to play his game and look pretty damn good. No doubt they had good chemistry.

I feel like Tinordi actually needs the time in the minors more than Beaulieu if he is ever to reach his full potential ( a top 3 or 4 minute eating physical shutdown defenceman). Tinordi needs to learn how to adapt to those minutes and he'll only get them in the minors.

Beaulieu on the other hand I feel like because he just has so much skill, that with good coaching from Therrien, he will get him there anyway. He'll see his power play time, and offensive starts here, that's his role already.

It's dumb that for all of the depth at defence it seemed Bergevin had signed to start the season, we're now stuck in a position where either Beaulieu or Tinordi has to be up. I'm dying for Emelin to get back, and praying he plays as the #4 he was at. Call me crazy but I feel like he had what we used to call "the Markov effect" on Markov himself. He allowed Markov to play his game and look pretty damn good. No doubt they had good chemistry.

I feel like Tinordi actually needs the time in the minors more than Beaulieu if he is ever to reach his full potential ( a top 3 or 4 minute eating physical shutdown defenceman). Tinordi needs to learn how to adapt to those minutes and he'll only get them in the minors.

Beaulieu on the other hand I feel like because he just has so much skill, that with good coaching from Therrien, he will get him there anyway. He'll see his power play time, and offensive starts here, that's his role already.

I was actually thinking the same thing.....Tinordi's game is much more unreliable, because he must be more reliable.

With Beaulieu you just expect him to not be as defensively sound and he just makes up for it with offensive flare. Tinordi has none of the flare and still makes mistakes on the defensive side.

Not to whine too much, but apart from raw rookie Tinordi we had three d-men with size and/our punishing physicality on our roster: Dreiwskie, Emelin, and Murray.

All three suffered serious, long-term injuries.

Typical.

I don't believe MB should react too soon in regards to bringing someone in. At the moment we are in a comfortable position in the standings and rotating Tinordi, Beaulieu and maybe Pateryn is going ok for us. If we go on some sort of extended losing streak or get another injury then he will need to look elsewhere, but until then he should keep his powder dry.

If we can stay in touch until Emelin gets back it will be like picking up a top 4 D at the deadline. (Assuming he comes back at the same level as before his injury)

I would assume a couple weeks.

Yeah, but expect him to flail around for several games as he makes up for the lost training camp. The same will probably be true for Emelin, upon his return - assuming no permanent damage in his case. Those who are thinking that the return of either player will offer immediate relief to the blueline probably should adjust their projections to include 2-3 weeks of sub-par performance as these guys work themselves into "game shape." Whether Murray in particular will be able to survive those struggles - managing to lose neither the coach's trust nor his own self-confidence - is a further question. All too often players suffer serious injuries early on and never really seem to recover during the season, especially when they do not have any credibility banked away in the coaches' eyes.

I was actually thinking the same thing.....Tinordi's game is much more unreliable, because he must be more reliable.

With Beaulieu you just expect him to not be as defensively sound and he just makes up for it with offensive flare. Tinordi has none of the flare and still makes mistakes on the defensive side.

That's a good point. Neither has really looked ready, but you at least get the offense from Beaulieu. He would still do best to spend a few months in Hamilton.

That's a good point. Neither has really looked ready, but you at least get the offense from Beaulieu. He would still do best to spend a few months in Hamilton.

but just think how good they will be next year, we are probably the envy of a lot of teams.