Oct. 17, Blue Jackets vs Habs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

I agree- IMO PK can be much more complete player then Coffey. Potvin and Robinson are similar in style and bourque and potvin similar in built. Subban also is a lot like a youn serge Savard before the broken leg.

Neither of these are bad measuring sticks for the type of dman I hope Subban will become. The big difference is all those guys were surrounded with immense skill and leadership.

Protvin had trottier,Bossy, goring and nysttom that were there.

Robinson was part of probably the greatest team of all time.

Coffey had a close contender to that team.

Bourque had Neely, Middleton, Oates. There were others , but I can't bring myself to say good things about any other Bruins.

Subban is now being surrounded with a lot of young skilled players, but the big question is if the habs will get or develop leaders like the roadrunner, Gainey, trottier, messier that make the differnce in helping individuals in the team from being considered good players vs great players.

If given the chance I think Subban can develop into a big leader for the habs and has potential to be a future captain. But that won't happen if the media continue to portray him as a polarizing figure and the hockey establishment still look at him and treat him as an uppity black man.

I don't remember Coffey playing with PK's bone-crunching physicality. Denis Potvin is probably the best comparable.

The difference between PK and someone like Roy is proven playoff excellence and Cup rings. If Subban continues his unbelievably prodigious development and ends up being the key cog in a run to the Cup - preferably more than one - then we can start to have a conversation about where he ranks among the all-time great Habs and all-time great players. If championships don't factor in, then - fair or not - he is unlikely to become part of that discussion.

EDIT: best piece I've read so far on PK and the NHL's racism-disguised-as-Hockey-Code: http://toomanymen.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/p-k-subban-race-the-invisible-man-and-the-elephant-in-the-studio/

I don't remember Coffey playing with PK's bone-crunching physicality. Denis Potvin is probably the best comparable.

The difference between PK and someone like Roy is proven playoff excellence and Cup rings. If Subban continues his unbelievably prodigious development and ends up being the key cog in a run to the Cup - preferably more than one - then we can start to have a conversation about where he ranks among the all-time great Habs and all-time great players. If championships don't factor in, then - fair or not - he is unlikely to become part of that discussion.

EDIT: best piece I've read so far on PK and the NHL's racism-disguised-as-Hockey-Code: http://toomanymen.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/p-k-subban-race-the-invisible-man-and-the-elephant-in-the-studio/

I know Coffey likely didn't hit as much, but he still racked up a ton of penalties (almost 200pims in 88-89) and likely Coffey was a better skater?

I just said PK and Coffey are similar "type" or how bout "super offensive d-man" and if PK can produce for next 10-15 years he also will be Hall of Famer.

But Potvin is comparable for sure, but same as ranking up with a Patrick Roy, Potvin captained 4 cup winners and PK has a long way to go; but, who knows just how good he will get? I just hope he stays healthy.