Oct. 19, Predators vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

I don't think it will help that much. We need some size on the top two lines. Padding out the fourth line is great, but it doesn't help with the top lines ability to win grinding games or deal with the brutal nature of the post season.

Bottom six are the grinding positions, Datsyuk, Zetterberg don't grind so much.

And Habs have Bourque-Galchenyuk-Eller + 3 small skilled players, pretty normal for most teams top 6 I think?

A Pacioretty would be hard for any team to replace.

The problem is, and MB has stated this regularly, quality size doesn't grow on trees, and no one is willing to part with it if they have it. So while we'd all love to get big tough dudes, the reality is that this is still a transition year so a lot of positions were filled *as best they could be.* The only signing that's really poor, IMO, is the Brière signing - which was probably done with the aim of pacifying some of the angst-ridden fanbase as much as it was a hockey decision. And this year, that's okay! I know we all want to compete night in and night out and be up for the Cup every year, but to build a team capable of challenging consistently over the long-term takes time. Chicago had to ground out to get there. Detroit was a mess back in the Snorris days. We finished bottom three a mere two years ago.

It's really *really* easy to get riled when we see games like the other night (well-coached team, that Nashville), but it really needs to be put into perspective. No matter how much we desperately want success now now now, what we really need is patience - because if we take a step back and look long and hard at the work that MB has done, I think most would agree we've taken huge strides in a very positive direction. (And we need to remember that EVERY GM makes horrible decisions.)

My opinion? DD - not the greatest contract when taken in the context of this season's cap, but next year? Assuming *any* production whatsoever? Not the biggest issue. Parros - not my favourite, but I'll submit that, at this stage, he was a necessary signing. Bouillon - high-quality depth signing who's been *very* important. Murray and Drewskie - in today's NHL you need defensive depth, particularly since the red line is gone and the forwards attack the D with more speed than every before. While the latter adds very reasonable depth, the former does both that and the added bonus of a massive, and much needed mean streak.

As for Brière - transition year. Might as well make people happy while taking a gamble on someone who *could* make a difference. Early days, time will tell on this one.

• Upvote 1

EGG

Bourque Pleks Gionta

There 2 lines. They will be playing big minutes.

3rd line we have to go grinder for now, we don't have a 3rd scoring line at the moment.

Moen White Blunden/Tarnarsky

That leaves

DD to center a jump line 4th with Bournival and Dumont it seems.

I went into this season thinking we had depth, though inexperienced depth. Guess we are going to find out now.

Guest Stogey24

EGG

Bourque Pleks Gionta

There 2 lines. They will be playing big minutes.

3rd line we have to go grinder for now, we don't have a 3rd scoring line at the moment.

Moen White Blunden/Tarnarsky

That leaves

DD to center a jump line 4th with Bournival and Dumont it seems.

I went into this season thinking we had depth, though inexperienced depth. Guess we are going to find out now.

Desharnais won't be demoted to fourth line minutes. Especially in this thin of a line up.

Desharnais won't be demoted to fourth line minutes. Especially in this thin of a line up.

Would they move DD to the wing and have Bournival and White centre?

Guest Stogey24

Would they move DD to the wing and have Bournival and White centre?

Not too sure on that one. I do really see some potential in Bournival though. If there was ever a time to prove his worth, its now.

How about someone like Ryan Malone? We've done well with trades with Tampa.

I'd like Ryan Malone on this team just so that he can't turn into a wild animal against us.

The man turns into a werewolf when playing Montreal. It's ridic.

The problem is, and MB has stated this regularly, quality size doesn't grow on trees, and no one is willing to part with it if they have it. So while we'd all love to get big tough dudes, the reality is that this is still a transition year so a lot of positions were filled *as best they could be.* The only signing that's really poor, IMO, is the Brière signing - which was probably done with the aim of pacifying some of the angst-ridden fanbase as much as it was a hockey decision. And this year, that's okay! I know we all want to compete night in and night out and be up for the Cup every year, but to build a team capable of challenging consistently over the long-term takes time. Chicago had to ground out to get there. Detroit was a mess back in the Snorris days. We finished bottom three a mere two years ago.

It's really *really* easy to get riled when we see games like the other night (well-coached team, that Nashville), but it really needs to be put into perspective. No matter how much we desperately want success now now now, what we really need is patience - because if we take a step back and look long and hard at the work that MB has done, I think most would agree we've taken huge strides in a very positive direction. (And we need to remember that EVERY GM makes horrible decisions.)

My opinion? DD - not the greatest contract when taken in the context of this season's cap, but next year? Assuming *any* production whatsoever? Not the biggest issue. Parros - not my favourite, but I'll submit that, at this stage, he was a necessary signing. Bouillon - high-quality depth signing who's been *very* important. Murray and Drewskie - in today's NHL you need defensive depth, particularly since the red line is gone and the forwards attack the D with more speed than every before. While the latter adds very reasonable depth, the former does both that and the added bonus of a massive, and much needed mean streak.

As for Brière - transition year. Might as well make people happy while taking a gamble on someone who *could* make a difference. Early days, time will tell on this one.

100% agree. Terrible luck to have all the signings injured at the same time. There weren't that many options available, particularly for a scoring forward, and signing Briere might also have been a reaction to Ryder's disappearing act in the playoffs. Hopefully, he will be able to come back and contribute. Failing that, regain his health.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

I'd like Ryan Malone on this team just so that he can't turn into a wild animal against us.

Tampa needs size up front as much as we do.

Yes, he has thrown childish tantrums in past games when ego bruised (or flattened by Yemelin several times) and can easily be goaded into dumb penalties.

It is much better for Habs to have him on opposing team. $4.5m/year is just wacky for a player like him.

Yes, he has thrown childish tantrums in past games when ego bruised (or flattened by Yemelin several times) and can easily be goaded into dumb penalties.

It is much better for Habs to have him on opposing team. $4.5m/year is just wacky for a player like him.

People wanted Erik Cole so bad because he used to always burn us...

Guest Stogey24

People wanted Erik Cole so bad because he used to always burn us...

I'll never forget when Cole gave Greg Kimmerly a high five after burying against Ottawa.