Habs vs Oilers, Oct. 22 7:30 pm

Neech

Dallas Eakins should do more coaching then shit-talking in his end-of-game presser. He responded with a 'slight' by Eller, by then insulting Eller, real high road coach.

We as fans bemoan the Sidney Crosbys of the world with their cliché that when a player speaks the truth we're all like.."dont give them motivation", really as someone mentioned earlier, if you NEED motivation to play this game, then just retire.

You're bang on bar. I saw the comments, they made me cringe. Oilers came from behind, and won on the road. Get out of town and keep your mouth shut. Act like you've been there before.

Another thing I want to mention, is if you want to talk about the code MT, how about sticking up for your player, you douchebag! For all your waxing poetically about 'your captain' crying in your arms last year, I hope you have your drivers license for the BUS you just RAN Lars Eller over with. You preach 'give no bulletin board material', yet you forget your own hockey code of 'defend your players in public, call them out privately'.

I'm not saying he should be fired over this, but this is a very telling reaction to a coach, I don't always feel has the players best interests at heart.

Another thing I want to mention, is if you want to talk about the code MT, how about sticking up for your player, you douchebag! For all your waxing poetically about 'your captain' crying in your arms last year, I hope you have your drivers license for the BUS you just RAN Lars Eller over with. You preach 'give no bulletin board material', yet you forget your own hockey code of 'defend your players in public, call them out privately'.

I'm not saying he should be fired over this, but this is a very telling reaction to a coach, I don't always feel has the players best interests at heart.

This has always been Therrien. His Penguins rant was legendary. Not saying he shouldn't be called out on it but it'd be like yelling at Torterella for being hot with the media.

The fact he USED to be this way was the reason he was on RDS for years. This is the NEW NHL, old tricks and motivational tools of younger players should be seen not heard is so outdated. I'm mroe frustrated at MT lack of respect in sticking up for his players than the loss last night.

this was only 1 game in a season of many but we have a tough bunch of games ahead of us and we need someone to step up and lead or we need a new body. Gagne may not be the answer but he is the only guy out there that I know of who can score and is not a smurf. Yes he will get injured but maybe we get a couple of months out of him. Then we will have everyone back, and it is smooth sailing. There is no point in whistling in the dark hoping for some good luck.

HW used to be all about discussion and analysis not ridiculous moaning about how the team sucks after two close losses. I swear some people would complain if we went 76-6-- about the lack of effort in the six losses.

Depends - how poor was the effort in those losses? :)

Lots of talk about injuries costing us. Seems to me that for the last 2 seasons (about to be three) we have had a high number of injuries. Do any of you know if our injury rate is above average for the league? And if it is, is it just bad luck or are our guys not conditioned as well as other teams?

Of course it's entirely possible that every team has the same amount (or more) injuries than us and it only seems the hockey gods crap on us because the habs are my team, but it sure seems the hockey gods are bruins fans to me.

At the moment, there is one team with a higher amount of injured players with regards to cost (Philly and that includes Pronger who we all know isn't coming back). I'd say they've had more than their fair share over recent years.

If you look at the payroll of the Habs' active roster from last night (and that includes Tinordi who was scratched and Thomas' SOIR cost), they would rank 29th in the league in that department. It's seen as the easy way to blame injuries but when you're forced to put a lineup out there that rivals the Islanders in cheapness, it's fair to say it's a factor - and to expect a rough few weeks ahead.

I believe we're 4th in man-games-lost this season thus far.

We were 13th last season.

1st in 2011/2012

17th in 2010/2011

8th in 09/10

I think we set records early in the naughts.

That was sarcasm. I was quoting part of Lowe's tirade in June.

Which he isn't. The Oilers have been an embarrassing club with one lucky run to the Stanley Cup finals on the back of Chris Pronger.

The mistake people make in criticizing Roy (before the season started) was forgetting his time in the QMJHL. Guys like Lowe jumped into executive NHL positions and just intimidate their way into keeping a job.

I'd rather get another smurf who can actually produce then a lame horse with a glass head like gagne. We have enough injured players, we don't need a guy with a concussion history and a wonky back.

this was only 1 game in a season of many but we have a tough bunch of games ahead of us and we need someone to step up and lead or we need a new body. Gagne may not be the answer but he is the only guy out there that I know of who can score and is not a smurf. Yes he will get injured but maybe we get a couple of months out of him. Then we will have everyone back, and it is smooth sailing. There is no point in whistling in the dark hoping for some good luck.

But really? If you need to get your motivation out of a comment like that, then there is seriously something wrong with your team.

Yes, vet NHLers likely react much differently than the kids on the oiler team might and their coach knows that. And he likely even used Eller comment in a post 1st period rant to fire em up?

I'd rather get another smurf who can actually produce then a lame horse with a glass head like gagne. We have enough injured players, we don't need a guy with a concussion history and a wonky back.

actually Gagne has had 2 concussions and the last one was 4 years ago and minor "glass head" really? do you just hate that he is francophone or what?

Yeah, my favorite players all time are Lafleur and Dryden - I really hate francophones

What I hate is the habs bringing in washed out players like Briere, Savard, Juneau, Bouillon and others because they are Francophone.

When was the last time Gagne was healthy for a full year??? He has been alternating between concussion and back injuries for the past 5 years.

He wasn't seen to be good enough to be on a HORRIBLE Philly team that can't score - why would I want him on the habs???

Let me through the question back to you. If his name was dick George, would you still want him??

actually Gagne has had 2 concussions and the last one was 4 years ago and minor "glass head" really? do you just hate that he is francophone or what?

Yeah, my favorite players all time are Lafleur and Dryden - I really hate francophones

What I hate is the habs bringing in washed out players like Briere, Savard, Juneau, Bouillon and others because they are Francophone.

When was the last time Gagne was healthy for a full year??? He has been alternating between concussion and back injuries for the past 5 years.

He wasn't seen to be good enough to be on a HORRIBLE Philly team that can't score - why would I want him on the habs???

Let me through the question back to you. If his name was dick George, would you still want him??

With his scoring stats, size, and cost YES. I don't give a fiddlers fork what ethnicity he has, he could speak Chinese i could care less . I think we need some goal scoring for the next couple of months. I may be of french decent but that doesn't make me stupid. I don't understand your constant referral to the whether or not not someone is francophone and find it offensive. I don't give a crap what or how many languages he speaks, whether it be coaches or gm s or players , I want this team to WIN. what is your problem?

Guest Stogey24

With his scoring stats, size, and cost YES. I don't give a fiddlers fork what ethnicity he has, he could speak Chinese i could care less . I think we need some goal scoring for the next couple of months. I may be of french decent but that doesn't make me stupid. I don't understand your constant referral to the whether or not not someone is francophone and find it offensive. I don't give a crap what or how many languages he speaks, whether it be coaches or gm s or players , I want this team to WIN. what is your problem?

You think this team is going to win with Simon Gagner in the line up? Come on now.

You, nor I, don't care about language he speaks but Habs management, Quebec politicians, local media & fans surely do. That is just a fact of life and something 29 other teams don't have to factor in and seems the flip-side of a Don Cherry whining about Toronto kids being drafted by Leafs.

But, I don't think Gagne is needed at all, and am hoping Pacioretty, Murray will be back in couple weeks, with Yemelin following that. Then we see if the team can compete with Wings/Leafs and have a better idea of real state of Habs roster.

Gagne will not provide reliable goal-scoring. He is a bottom-6 forward now if anything. Now, I'm agnostic as to whether or not he would at least offer a credible warm body to throw out there - he might indeed be a decent way of bolstering our depth short-term - but anyone expecting him to come in and make an offensive difference isn't adequately factoring in his decline.

I think the issue with this 'Gagne' thing is only secondarily language; what it's primarily about is being impressed with a player's rep even though that player is a shadow of his former self. It becomes a language issue only insofar as Gagne is the ONLY UFA I ever hear mentioned as a stopgap solution for the Habs. Is he really so much better than other has-beens and never-weres out there? Or is it just that he has the right mother tongue?

But the real point is that if we're gonna sign him, it should be on the view that he is a depth forward only.

What I'd really like to see the Habs do is something analogous to what Vancouver's gotten away with with guys like Brad Richardson and Mike Santorelli: identify a player who maybe has untapped potential or could use a new start to really show his value, then scoop him up cheap. It's worth remembering that with Briere potentially done for good, we may turn out to need another FW irrespective of the current injury crunch. Gagne won't be that guy, that much is clear.

Every player M.B signed in the off season is above 30 and now injured. Why go after another guy in the same category.

Interesting reasoning, but probably not sound. It doesn't follow that the next guy will by definition be injured. Nevertheless, yeah, we're better off snooping around for an under-the-radar acquisition with untapped potential than a broken-down has-been.

Guest Stogey24

Interesting reasoning, but probably not sound. It doesn't follow that the next guy will be definition be injured. Nevertheless, yeah, we're better off snooping around for an under-the-radar acquisition with untapped potential than a broken-down has-been.

Your right. I'm just saying how bad would it look on M.B if Gagner dropped in the first week with the Habs.

What player did you have in mind?

Your right. I'm just saying how bad would it look on M.B if Gagner dropped in the first week with the Habs.

I don't know...I'm not enough of an expert on other teams' players. One crazy idea I proposed in another thread was seeing if Vancouver would like to unload David Booth in return for Desharnais (obviously, there'd have to be other ingredients) but that's more just musing aloud than seriously identifying an under-the-radar guy along the lines of Mike Santorelli.

|What about Patrice Cormier of the Devils? I know he is more of 3rd line grit guy but you never know

Guest Stogey24

I don't know...I'm not enough of an expert on other teams' players. One crazy idea I proposed in another thread was seeing if Vancouver would like to unload David Booth in return for Desharnais (obviously, there'd have to be other ingredients) but that's more just musing aloud than seriously identifying an under-the-radar guy along the lines of Mike Santorelli.

Booth would look damn good in a Habs Jersey. I just wish Desharnais had more value to his name.