PK and the Olympics

brobin

Having PK in the press box instead of Hamhuis is moronic. We are struggling to score. We are struggling on the PP. We don't need another defensive guy on the bench like Hamhuis. If fact, PK is a better defensive player then Hamhuis, especially if PK is asked to play a more defensive role.

What if we need a goal desperately and have to open up...that is when you want PK available. Hamhuis would be useless.

Not alternating Hamhuis and PK as the seventh guy at a minimum tells me someone on the coaching staff doesn't like PK, full stop. (Julien)

As far as I am concerned, we have been lucky. Several games have been a bounce away from Team Canada being behind with seemingly little chance of scoring to get back in the game. If we go down two goals to Sweden, how the hell is having Hamhuis on the bench help?

Having PK in the press box instead of Hamhuis is moronic. We are struggling to score. We are struggling on the PP. We don't need another defensive guy on the bench like Hamhuis. If fact, PK is a better defensive player then Hamhuis, especially if PK is asked to play a more defensive role.

What if we need a goal desperately and have to open up...that is when you want PK available. Hamhuis would be useless.

Not alternating Hamhuis and PK as the seventh guy at a minimum tells me someone on the coaching staff doesn't like PK, full stop. (Julien)

As far as I am concerned, we have been lucky. Several games have been a bounce away from Team Canada being behind with seemingly little chance of scoring to get back in the game. If we go down two goals to Sweden, how the hell is having Hamhuis on the bench help?

I fully agree with this post.

I agree with everything brobin says.

That said, the last game was sort of an eye-opener. That was simply one of the most technically perfect games I've ever seen a team play: a virtuoso display against superb opposition. If that's been Babcock's vision all along - a team that plays a hermetically-sealed, error-free, 200-foot game, winning game after game by one-goal margins, sort of like a glorified version of Pat Burns's old Habs teams - then the case for excluding Subban does become at least comprehensible. A single high-risk play becomes totally incompatible with the "concept" Babcock is instilling.

Now, why you wouldn't dress PK as a 7th defenceman, to be used on the PP and in the event that we need a late-game push from the back end, remains a totally open question. But for my money Babcock probably didn't want Subban on the team in the first place because he doesn't fit his "vision" for the team. And I guess if the team plays tomorrow like it did against the USA - as, basically, an unbeatable hockey machine - you can't argue with the results.

• Upvote 1

PK was decidedly mediocre in the three or four weeks leading up to the Olympics - worse, he was playing in an indulgent and individualistic way that doesn't mesh with the team unit Babcock was creating. A less talented country would be forced to integrate a top talent like PK, but Babcock could take the safe route and use more reliable players who were still very good. Can't argue with the results, both on the ice and on the podium.

Watching the gold medal ceremony, who was the happiest-looking guy on the ice?

PK Subban.

This guy is just a big soul, and his energy and joy in the game spills over in a way that grates against the traditional "robotic" hockey mentality. In 4 years he will be a core cog on this team.

Like the decision or not, they had a game plan and they sticked to it. Talking about Hamhuis, he played only 1 minute today, but he was on the ice for the final shift of the game. Why? Why would they reward him ? Because he accepted his role and was part of the game plan. Judging by PK's reaction, he understood and accepted his role. He was the best insurance policy were Weber or Doughty going down. Vlasic, and the Blues dmen all had their role.

In my mind you can't bench the previous Norris winner and I still don't understand it, but I have to acknowledge they had a game plan and it worked to perfection.

Who knows what impact Subban would have had. One thing we know is that we got gold, and Bouwmeester setup the goal to get Canada to the Finals.

As Habs fan I'm extremely happy for Carey. This is another milestone in a wonderful career so far. He has won everywhere and will win the Stanley Cup one day. And as Habs fan, I'm hopeful that Bergevin re-sign PK ASAP. Just imagine if PK scored the golden goal.

I am excited to see what PK can do tomorrow against Babcocks wings.

I doubt will be much Subban trying 'to rub it in his face' type stuff, but obviously a bit of that is to be expected and I also am looking forward to see PK play.

Habs must be favoured to win and how will big Jarred do on the backend?

Guest Stogey24

I doubt will be much Subban trying 'to rub it in his face' type stuff, but obviously a bit of that is to be expected and I also am looking forward to see PK play.

Habs must be favoured to win and how will big Jarred do on the backend?

Tinordi is playing?

Tinordi is playing?

I think so, but Murray-Tinordi pairing I just cant see being able to move puck well at all?

Tinordi-Boullion makes more sense, but I see Tin-man listed beside Murray?

tonights game gave us a perfect understanding of why PK Subban did not dress for team Canada in Sochi. he was horrible tonight and all he did was further cement Babock's reasoning for not dressing him and it was not because he wanted 3 left and 3 right but because you just don't know what your getting on a nightly basis. from the opening face off when he went for the big hit to the times he tried joining the rushes and not picking his spots. missing defensive assignments, taking 2 penalties. and just trying to force things overall maybe to try and show up babcock. either way it didn't work and in fact back fired.

he thinks about the offense way..... to much. i can only hope that he makes a contentious decision to focus on his play in his own end. i think once he does this the points will come much more effortlessly. and he will easily move forward his developmental curve

I didn't see this game, but personally I think Subban has had way too many coaches in his head this season - and that it started with this Team Canada business, compounded by Therrien's ragging, etc.. IMHO all these idiots would get the Subban they all want if they had just let him play the damned game. Just my 2 cents.

I didn't see this game, but personally I think Subban has had way too many coaches in his head this season - and that it started with this Team Canada business, compounded by Therrien's ragging, etc.. IMHO all these idiots would get the Subban they all want if they had just let him play the damned game. Just my 2 cents.

100% agree