PK and the Olympics

brobin

• 2 weeks later...

Came across a fun stat: PK has 3 points and is a -10 in 9 games since being named to team Canada. The worry about that is despite the very short sample size, there's a chance it's an indication that perhaps he needs constant motivation to be Norris caliber and worthy of a paycheck representing that. He has been playing all world hockey trying to lock up that big contract and also to make team Canada. I'm slightly worried that without significant personal motivation we may not see the best PK that we can night in and night out. Says the guy in a picture with him as my display

Guest Stogey24

Came across a fun stat: PK has 3 points and is a -10 in 9 games since being named to team Canada. The worry about that is despite the very short sample size, there's a chance it's an indication that perhaps he needs constant motivation to be Norris caliber and worthy of a paycheck representing that. He has been playing all world hockey trying to lock up that big contract and also to make team Canada. I'm slightly worried that without significant personal motivation we may not see the best PK that we can night in and night out. Says the guy in a picture with him as my display

Sorry, I honestly think that's ridiculous. The team is going through a rough patch.

So you are hinting u would trade him?

Would cause one huge shitstorm (Bergevin-Molson would need bodyguards and plexiglass around their seats), but the return would also be huge.

So you are hinting u would trade him?

Would cause one huge shitstorm (Bergevin-Molson would need bodyguards and plexiglass around their seats), but the return would also be huge.

Heck no I wouldn't trade him. I was just expressing my concern about how he took his foot off the gas pedal since being named to team Canada. Only time will tell how everything plays out. There is no doubt he is a top 5 dman in the league when he is on his game.

I heard Ray Ferraro say something interesting on the radio about this, in the context of Chicago's recent struggles. He suggested that players that are going to the Olympics are highly distracted in the lead-up to the games - their minds are elsewhere - and that because the Hawks have so many guys going to the games, they're not playing as well.

Well, if that is right, it's highly relevant to ye Habs. We are chock-full of Olympians. And it might go some way to explaining the pathetic team play of late.

If Subban is -9 in the last few games, that's probably because he's looking ahead to Sochi. A trap one might expect a young player to fall into, considering that more seasoned players (the Hawks) are doing the same.

All the negativity around the Habs might also be tempered by considering the possibility of an "Olympics effect" on a team like ours that is full of Olympians.

The Olympic theory would be most telling in a guy like Markov, who might think he needs to budget his effort. I could see it being a distraction for Subban, who already has enough on his plate with his contract situation and supterstar status. On the other hand, guys like Price and Pleks haven't missed a step.

The Olympic theory would be most telling in a guy like Markov, who might think he needs to budget his effort. I could see it being a distraction for Subban, who already has enough on his plate with his contract situation and supterstar status. On the other hand, guys like Price and Pleks haven't missed a step.

There is quite a difference between PK and price/pleks. Price and pleks are probably 2 of the calmest and focused guys on the team. PK on the other hand is a highly emotional individual which is what gets him onto trouble. I could see him being a little scrambled with all that is going on. The losing streak, so he tries too hard, the olympics so he tries too hard, his contract so he tries too hard. I think we get the picture.

There is quite a difference between PK and price/pleks. Price and pleks are probably 2 of the calmest and focused guys on the team. PK on the other hand is a highly emotional individual which is what gets him onto trouble. I could see him being a little scrambled with all that is going on. The losing streak, so he tries too hard, the olympics so he tries too hard, his contract so he tries too hard. I think we get the picture.

That's a good point. Overall, the Olympics seem like they would have a negative effect on a team like the Habs. Not only are we sending a lot of guys, but a lot key players to their national teams (or controversial ones like PK). Chicago's in a similar position, and their performance of late has suffered too. I think the toll will be especially hard in April, when players who didn't get a three week break are really starting to feel it.

That's a good point. Overall, the Olympics seem like they would have a negative effect on a team like the Habs. Not only are we sending a lot of guys, but a lot key players to their national teams (or controversial ones like PK). Chicago's in a similar position, and their performance of late has suffered too. I think the toll will be especially hard in April, when players who didn't get a three week break are really starting to feel it.

bofff. Didn,t Chicago win the Cup in 2010 despite sending SEVERAL players to the Olympics in key position ?

• 2 weeks later...

Get use to it i think babcock isn't a fan of him. You know P.K really isn't that good he only won the norris last year. Brutal

He is young, takes penalties and prone to costly defensive gaffs, that is bottom line. But, he would be in my lineup over Bowmeister.

Guest Stogey24

Yeah, pretty rare for the apparent "best D-man" in the league last year to not crack the line up against Norway. It just sucks because even when he does enter the line up he's not going to be his normal self.

PK's biggest problem has been the tendency to take long, winding paths down low in his own end which sometimes lead to him coughing up the puck. (He does much better when he simply bulldozes straight out of the zone, usually with one hand on his stick while fending off forecheckers with the other; I suspect part of the reason for his recent proclivity to go for self-destructive skates in his own end is that the idiot coaching staff has been criticizing that highly successful strategy as too "high-risk," even though PK pulls it off 99% of the time. Remember, it is axiomatic that PK Subban must not be allowed to be anything other than Josh Gorges).

Anyway, my point is this: I actually think PK's defensive weaknesses will be significantly reduced on the bigger ice, because he is such a strong skater. More room means less likelihood of getting ensnared in his own end.

Doesn't matter. The plodders have him pegged as the 7th d-man and that's that. Evidence has never been relevant where this young man is concerned.

Guest Stogey24

PK's biggest problem has been the tendency to take long, winding paths down low in his own end which sometimes lead to him coughing up the puck. (He does much better when he simply bulldozes straight out of the zone, usually with one hand on his stick while fending off forecheckers with the other; I suspect part of the reason for his recent proclivity to go for self-destructive skates in his own end is that the idiot coaching staff has been criticizing that highly successful strategy as too "high-risk," even though PK pulls it off 99% of the time. Remember, it is axiomatic that PK Subban must not be allowed to be anything other than Josh Gorges).

Anyway, my point is this: I actually think PK's defensive weaknesses will be significantly reduced on the bigger ice, because he is such a strong skater. More room means less likelihood of getting ensnared in his own end.

Doesn't matter. The plodders have him pegged as the 7th d-man and that's that. Evidence has never been relevant where this young man is concerned.

Agreed

He is young, takes penalties and prone to costly defensive gaffs, that is bottom line. But, he would be in my lineup over Bowmeister.

He also a truly gifted athlete with great wheels, very strong, and can stickhandle extremely well. He is good defensively and offensively, which is the problem, you aren't supposed to be that good at his age and he must wait his turn. He reminds of Serge Savard. If they let him play his game he could another Serge without the broken legs.

Watching the game v.s. Norway, I really wish PK were out there - he would absolutely thrive in that environment and he'd lift the fans out of their seats. Instead we get to watch Hamhuis and Vlasec :rolleyes:

Someone around here should start game threads for these Olympic hockey games. Just a thought.

Canadian unis look great on TV IMHO. One of our best.

Someone around here should start game threads for these Olympic hockey games. Just a thought.

Feel free. Given how many I do during when the season is on (plus every AHL one), I'm on a GDT holiday...until Saturday, then Hamilton plays again.

To be honest it's pretty clear that it's more than just PK. They were playing John Tavares on the fourth line. How in the heck does one justify playing the second best healthy Canadian forward in the league on the fourth line? That's like if Russia decided to play Malkin on the fourth line.