When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

This team had tons of leadership, last year. What happened was that we took a rookie goaltender and hoped he could play like Price. Don let me ask you this if Price doesn't get hurt do we make the playoffs. I think we do. The year they made Patches Captain I said they should stick with the 4 A's. That is because they were the leaders on the team. You said nope we need a Captain. Now they say we had no leadership. HMMM what exactly changed?

24 minutes ago, habs rule said:

This team had tons of leadership, last year. What happened was that we took a rookie goaltender and hoped he could play like Price. Don let me ask you this if Price doesn't get hurt do we make the playoffs. I think we do. The year they made Patches Captain I said they should stick with the 4 A's. That is because they were the leaders on the team. You said nope we need a Captain. Now they say we had no leadership. HMMM what exactly changed?

Still think would be and is odd to have 4 'A's and if you think changing 'A' to 'C' on Pacioretty's sweater has anything to do with leadership amount/quality and missing Price & Gallagher were not a tad more important, not sure what to say. But, to one certain individual I bet it really mattered to not be voted captain by the players, or nominated as most charitable person on the team and that guy, they smartly sent packing.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Still think would be and is odd to have 4 'A's and if you think changing 'A' to 'C' on Pacioretty's sweater has anything to do with leadership amount/quality and missing Price & Gallagher were not a tad more important, not sure what to say. But, to one certain individual I bet it really mattered to not be voted captain by the players, or nominated as most charitable person on the team and that guy, they smartly sent packing.

Ya know we can't change it now, but when we had 4 A's they were a leadership GROUP, I think we lost that when we fixed something that wasn't broken. It worked great. Should have left it alone. This is in response to MB's theory that we lacked leadership which I strongly disagree with.

9 hours ago, DON said:

It was, they got rid of a huge distraction who was supposed to be part of leadership group, but was the opposite and upgraded with an actual respected leader.

still not sure of that being good for me, kinda feels like a cop out to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Let's keep Therrien great idea Molson 10 zip loss to the blue jacket, I was at the Vancouver game that was a bad game as well we have no power play back to last year. So every time Price will not play we will loose' who will they blame now patch., David, Gall, Andrei, this is so sad I am at loss for words

Edited by kickass528

It's amazing...over at HI/O there is an enormous amount of talk about firing Therrien. This, on a team that is #1 overall and has one (admittedly catastrophic) regulation loss all season.

It seems to be that this team is basically what it was last year: a top-10 team with a superstar goaltender. In fact, the parallels with last year are quite striking: a fabulous start, followed by a dip in performance. The team is stronger overall because of the addition of Radulov. Weber was basically a lateral move, and Shaw has yet to demonstrate added value. Therrien continues to be what he's been in his entire tenure on this go-round, i.e., an adequate, somewhat plodding coach, unimaginative and risk-averse but competent, basically interchangeable with 98% of other NHL coaches.

Now if the team proves unable to recover its defensive structure - if, say, it plays another 20 games of non-stop defensive fires - then I think we can start talking about a coaching change, regardless of whether the record is good, because it is not sustainable for a team that claims to be a contender to be giving up massive chances night in and night out. The team is built to WIN NOW, and this should inform decisions about the coach as much as any other decision. An extended stretch of defensive disaster would suggest a coach who has lost the room; so that'd be my criterion. (Knowing MB, though, he will dismantle the defence corps rather than sacrifice his bum buddy, but that's another story).

Since I don't believe that the team will be hapless for that stretch of time, I think it's quite moot, really.

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's amazing...over at HI/O there is an enormous amount of talk about firing Therrien. This, on a team that is #1 overall and has one (admittedly catastrophic) regulation loss all season.

It seems to be that this team is basically what it was last year: a top-10 team with a superstar goaltender. In fact, the parallels with last year are quite striking: a fabulous start, followed by a dip in performance. The team is stronger overall because of the addition of Radulov. Weber was basically a lateral move, and Shaw has yet to demonstrate added value. Therrien continues to be what he's been in his entire tenure on this go-round, i.e., an adequate, somewhat plodding coach, unimaginative and risk-averse but competent, basically interchangeable with 98% of other NHL coaches.

Now if the team proves unable to recover its defensive structure - if, say, it plays another 20 games of non-stop defensive fires - then I think we can start talking about a coaching change, regardless of whether the record is good, because it is not sustainable for a team that claims to be a contender to be giving up massive chances night in and night out. The team is built to WIN NOW, and this should inform decisions about the coach as much as any other decision. An extended stretch of defensive disaster would suggest a coach who has lost the room; so that'd be my criterion. (Knowing MB, though, he will dismantle the defence corps rather than sacrifice his bum buddy, but that's another story).

Since I don't believe that the team will be hapless for that stretch of time, I think it's quite moot, really.

I'm going to keep it short because I'm not into the debate on this one but my personal opinion is that Therrien is improving. That shouldn't be too bold of a statement considering one would hope experience is a helpful tool that one can learn from and use in a positive manner. I've been neutral on him for awhile because I'm of the belief that our pool is limited based on our regulations so it's tough to compare him to the best but I'm starting to think he's better than average.

I know I'm going against the grain on this one with more than one thing I've said but I've noticed some subtle things recently that he brings to the team while on the bench. 

2 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I'm going to keep it short because I'm not into the debate on this one but my personal opinion is that Therrien is improving. That shouldn't be too bold of a statement considering one would hope experience is a helpful tool that one can learn from and use in a positive manner. I've been neutral on him

because I'm of the belief that our pool is limited based on our regulations so is tough to compare him to the best but I'm starting to think he's better than average.

I know I'm going against the grain on this one with more than one thing I've said but I've noticed some subtle things recently that he brings to the team on the bench. 

Oh you mean like have Scotch in his water bottle.:sarcasm_on:

• 2 months later...

Well I'd still Fire Therien.

But he does have them playing a pretty decent brand of hockey through all of these injuries.

Here's a nice take on MT that you don't see too often from Colby Armstrong.

This from on Therrien is MUST-READ.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Roy as a replacement?  That's an absolutely terrifying thought.  I think he's going to have a hard time getting a look any time soon as a head coach after what transpired in Colorado.

Roy would be a crazy choice by any GM who wants to keep his own job, since megalomaniac Saint Patrick will be the first one to stand over you with a knife. Besides that, there is little to indicate that he is an especially good coach. Were we to fire MT in the short run - which I don't believe for one moment will happen - any choice other than Julien would be the height of stupidity.

• Upvote 1

Roy saw what was going to happen with the line up Sakic managed to deliver.

With a correct line up,  he is about the only one with Mueller tout make these players and that goalie play with emotion and desire to compete.

Julien system could  help this team of course, but for a miracle better ask someone who made some before. 

1 minute ago, Easy Ryder said:

With a correct line up,  he is about the only one with Mueller tout make these players and that goalie play with emotion and desire to compete.

Julien system could  help this team of course, but for a miracle better ask someone who made some before. 

I don't think missing the playoffs two years in a row and having a team with laughable defensive structure puts him quite in 'Jesus' territory. Roy would be a ridiculous choice for Bergevin to make.

1 hour ago, Easy Ryder said:

I don't buy it.  There was no evidence that he was a good coach in Colorado.  His teams always had horrible analytics, even the year they made the playoffs. 

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

I don't buy it.  There was no evidence that he was a good coach in Colorado.  His teams always had horrible analytics, even the year they made the playoffs won the Central. 

I don't understand this fetish with Roy. OK, he was an all-time great goalie, greatest Hab of the post-dynasty era. Granted. I loved him as a player. But what's that got to do with whether he would be the best candidate to coach the Canadiens? In fact, you're not just talking about him coaching, you're talking about him GMing too, either directly or indirectly, as he tries to undermine Bergevin in order to assume total control, because he is the alpha dog and not a team player. Bergevin has done a good job and does not deserve to get fired, nor to get saddled with some monstrous "co-GMing" arrangement that is bound to immolate sooner or later.

The Avs have Sakic as their GM: a similarly great player and franchise icon. How's that working out? Carbo was a distinguished captain and the best defensive player of his era. He sucked behind the bench. Once you accept that there is zero correlation between what a player achieved for us on the ice, and what he will achieve for us as coach or GM, the whole logic of HIRE ROY falls apart. It then becomes a simple question of how good his track record is. And the answer is, it's no good. Julien is infinitely more qualified. So is Therrien.

One thing I've always given Therrien respect for is that he always tries to empower a blue collar player into a bigger role. Armstrong, Weise, Byron, all examples of guys most teams would never try on the top six and he did. Same with Cube in top defensive situations. The problem is that Therrien doesn't know when to quit. Even his virtue is a vice. When better options exist he goes to his hard workers, even when they are hardly working. He punishes skill in favour for tenacity, even though often tenacity is just burning rubber. There's always going to be people who have good things to say about a coach like that, but a coach like that will only go so far.

There's absolutely no excuse for David Desharnais to play the most time out of all of the centres on the team and get three minutes on the powerplay because he decided to play four lines equally. It's a nice concept in theory but when you don't have enough talent to spread across four lines, doing it just looks like desperation and hoping for luck. That's Therrien right now. He doesn't trust his skill players enough to play the defence he wants so he doesn't care who gets it done for him. He will take results from anybody. And that's no recipe for success.

Question, what was the ice time in the first period?

In the second?

Its hard to look at the ice time in a game where it was 3-0 at the end of the second and take it at face value without a look at how it progressed all game long. 

Did the 4th line get lots of minutes in the third? is that why the ice time was near equal, or was it like that all game?

Also consider that the team was coming off a long flight, and playing at altitude in Denver is always a bit of a challenge conditioning wise.