When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

What did each coach have to work with? How many all-star forwards did each have to work with? What stage was team for those 3 years (e.g. cusp of cup contender and trading away quality picks/prospects to make big push for cup, or rebuilding and conservative moves?)

A personal attack has to mention someone, right?

Not necessarily, you generalize and tar everyone with the same brush. Anyone who disagrees with you is this type of person or that . We are just here to offer our observations and opinions. There is no need for "I will bet that the people who think MT should be fired are.........fill in the blank". I agree with a lot of what you say, I am not required to agree with everything you say.

Let's have some fun. Choose your coach:

Coach 1: Regular Season
Games: 221
Wins: 107
Losses: 87
Ties/OTL/SO: 27
Coach 1: Playoffs
Games: 27
Wins: 19
Losses: 8
Rounds Won: 4
Rounds Lost: 1
Playoffs Missed: 1
Coach 2: Regular Season
Games: 212
Wins: 125
Losses: 64
Ties/OTL/SO: 23
Coach 2: Playoffs
Games: 33
Wins: 17
Losses: 16
Rounds Won: 3
Rounds Lost: 2
Playoffs Missed: 0

We need to know if they speak French.

Not necessarily, you generalize and tar everyone with the same brush. Anyone who disagrees with you is this type of person or that . We are just here to offer our observations and opinions. There is no need for "I will bet that the people who think MT should be fired are.........fill in the blank". I agree with a lot of what you say, I am not required to agree with everything you say.

I've had more than a few disagreements with MoLG over the years and he's one of my favorite guys to read here.

In my original post I was referring to Jeremy Roenick and Keenan.

And at this point, if people really believe Therrien should be fired, I can only conclude that there's a racial bias or spurious reason. The fact that one poster continually calls Mike "Michelle" lends more credibility to that explanation than the board meanies targeting certain members.

Well that's nice we are all one big happy family. I like that. There are some people who do not believe that the record is indicative of his coaching ability. I for one think he is a lousy coach on offense. He is a good coach on defense though. So I believe he needs an assistant coach who understands offense. The current batch sure as hell doesn't and the stats bear me out on that. The power play the other night was pretty impressive, even though they did not score. They must have "phoned a friend" or they been hiding that all year. I started this thread due to the way he was handling PK. However that seems to have worked itself out, I don't think they will ever send each other xmas cards, but PK has evolved into a Norris winning defenceman. He has also matured. I don't know how much of that is actually attributable to Le Genius but it was on his watch so the credit goes to him. Same with the record.

Not a huge 'fan', but do support Therrien and cant realistically see why anyone would want to fire him at this point.

If he had 3 all-star forwards and offense still was as bad as it is, then would bitch about it. But he simply dosent have much firepower up front, mostly due to lack of high picks/terrible "Leaf-like' seasons and in part due to a fair chunk of cap space spent on defense and goalie, so cant afford to sign a Toews/Kane to $8-10m/yr deal.

But final 4 appearance last year and final 8 so far this year, so could be a lot worse off.

Well that's nice we are all one big happy family. I like that. There are some people who do not believe that the record is indicative of his coaching ability. I for one think he is a lousy coach on offense. He is a good coach on defense though. So I believe he needs an assistant coach who understands offense. The current batch sure as hell doesn't and the stats bear me out on that. The power play the other night was pretty impressive, even though they did not score. They must have "phoned a friend" or they been hiding that all year. I started this thread due to the way he was handling PK. However that seems to have worked itself out, I don't think they will ever send each other xmas cards, but PK has evolved into a Norris winning defenceman. He has also matured. I don't know how much of that is actually attributable to Le Genius but it was on his watch so the credit goes to him. Same with the record.

I respect the way you're trying to be neutral on the topic without trying to stir anything up but what you're describing are the team's strengths and weaknesses. Not the coach's. If we got Ovechkin and lost Subban and Petry, then the coach's strengths would probably be offense all of a sudden. How much of it is him you're describing? How much of it is the team? I'm not one to event comment on coaching as the hugest factor especially coaches of other teams but if anything, I think Cooper has been the phony this series. He's the one preaching defense to a team who bleeds offense. They are not playing to their strengths and if they do get past us, they will not win the cup. Why? Because they are not playing to their strengths. That's a coaching issue.

But final 4 appearance last year and final 8 so far this year, so could be a lot worse off.

We could always have Ken Hitchcock, a "superior" coach with a "superior" team that has won two rounds less than Therrien despite coaching the Blues for four seasons to Therrien's three with the Habs.

We could always have Ken Hitchcock, a "superior" coach with a "superior" team that has won two rounds less than Therrien despite coaching the Blues for four seasons to Therrien's three with the Habs.

That's okay. Half of hockey will pick them to go deep next year.

I respect the way you're trying to be neutral on the topic without trying to stir anything up but what you're describing are the team's strengths and weaknesses. Not the coach's. If we got Ovechkin and lost Subban and Petry, then the coach's strengths would probably be offense all of a sudden. How much of it is him you're describing? How much of it is the team? I'm not one to event comment on coaching as the hugest factor especially coaches of other teams but if anything, I think Cooper has been the phony this series. He's the one preaching defense to a team who bleeds offense. They are not playing to their strengths and if they do get past us, they will not win the cup. Why? Because they are not playing to their strengths. That's a coaching issue.

A beauty post right there

Bergevin acquired a team. He chose a coach he thought best suited the team. The coach then does his thing based on the team he has, which is playing in front of the best goalie in the world. Bergevin being a former defenseman himself continually strengthens the d core which then becomes part of the best defensive team in the league. Coach and GM are on the same page, and the players are on the same page as them. This is how you build a successful franchise.

I agree with you about Cooper. He got out coached last year and not looking so good this year (lately). While I get your point about the players, my point is they can't be that bad. Systems are a coach's responsibility. So when the offense is as bad as it is you have to look at the coach's systems. In Le Genius case, they appear to be lacking. When you hear the players say "we don't really practice offensive schemes", you look at the coach. When you have Carey Price in net it makes building a defensive structure pretty easy. He covers up a lot of sins. Do we need a top six goal scoring forward? Yeah and I have been saying that for a long time. But let's face facts, this team's offense is one of the worst in the league. They win a lot of very low scoring games which is a result of having Carey Price. Thank the great pumpkin that we do. I don't know if any other coach would get the results that Le Genius is given credit for, but my belief is that just about any Defence 1st coach would be pretty similar. New Jersey did it for years. Jacques Lemair damn near invented the trap. Most boring hockey ever seen. Any way my point is not to fire Le Genius, let's fire the assistant in charge of the PP, cause he gotta go. Let's get someone who can help the kindly old coach out with offensive schemes. :habslogo:

I agree with you about Cooper. He got out coached last year and not looking so good this year (lately). While I get your point about the players, my point is they can't be that bad. Systems are a coach's responsibility. So when the offense is as bad as it is you have to look at the coach's systems. In Le Genius case, they appear to be lacking. When you hear the players say "we don't really practice offensive schemes", you look at the coach. When you have Carey Price in net it makes building a defensive structure pretty easy. He covers up a lot of sins. Do we need a top six goal scoring forward? Yeah and I have been saying that for a long time. But let's face facts, this team's offense is one of the worst in the league. They win a lot of very low scoring games which is a result of having Carey Price. Thank the great pumpkin that we do. I don't know if any other coach would get the results that Le Genius is given credit for, but my belief is that just about any Defence 1st coach would be pretty similar. New Jersey did it for years. Jacques Lemair damn near invented the trap. Most boring hockey ever seen. Any way my point is not to fire Le Genius, let's fire the assistant in charge of the PP, cause he gotta go. Let's get someone who can help the kindly old coach out with offensive schemes. :habslogo:

Hey come on man....we got 110 pts. Without Therrien we would have got zero. Or so i'm told by his fans.

Let's get someone who can help the kindly old coach out with offensive schemes. :habslogo:

Lacroix has coached on pretty good offensive teams before. His three years in TB were all seasons where the Lightning were top-10 in the league. One of his years with the Islanders saw their team score a lot as well.

It's funny - people have complained in the past about how there isn't a lot of experience or even merit on this staff. Jodoin is a Therrien lackey, while Daigneault only had a few years of AHL experience. Lacroix has been an NHL assistant for 8 of the last 9 years now (the one year he wasn't, he was with Hamilton). A lot of people expect him to go but I wouldn't.

Het come on man....we got 110 pts. Without Therrien we would have got zero. Or so i'm told by his fans.

I don't think you've been told anything like that on here. Let's not exaggerate too much...

Lacroix has coached on pretty good offensive teams before. His three years in TB were all seasons where the Lightning were top-10 in the league. One of his years with the Islanders saw their team score a lot as well.

It's funny - people have complained in the past about how there isn't a lot of experience or even merit on this staff. Jodoin is a Therrien lackey, while Daigneault only had a few years of AHL experience. Lacroix has been an NHL assistant for 8 of the last 9 years now (the one year he wasn't, he was with Hamilton). A lot of people expect him to go but I wouldn't.

I don't think you've been told anything like that on here. Let's not exaggerate too much...

Hit Sarcasm button.

In todays nhl not many coaches last 5 years with winning a cup......lucky to make three.

See no reason why Carey and the boys have to be stuck with the likes of MT for huge chunk of their careers in Montreal.

So he's the Scotty Gomez of coaching? :)

Maybe Coach Therrien will be the Red Berenson of the Habs and be head coach forever!

Well let's see if he can win 1 Cup first. We don't want to get ahead of ourselves.

Well you should read the front page story on sportsnet. Other than the Habs record when you look at the numbers Uncle Mike don't look so good.