When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

When will MT get his reward? He has won more playoff rounds in past 3 years, than Babcock has in past six years (which is exactly 1!)

So where is his $50m in Molsonbucks? Come on you cheap owner, cough it up!

When will MT get his reward? He has won more playoff rounds in past 3 years, than Babcock has in past six years (which is exactly 1!)

Go Don Go.Go Don Go.

As everyone knows Carey gets the reward.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope MT is enjoying some well deserved time off.

Maybe he has a stamp collection?

Maybe he is like he claims his team was "mentally and physically drained" after winning six play off games.

lol ...........meanwhile lightning and the hawks are still playing. I tell ya MT has to learn to think before he opens his cake hole.

I hope MT is enjoying some well deserved time off.

Maybe he has a stamp collection?

Close but I think it is a Scotch collection which is constantly revolving. :)

• 6 months later...

I feel comfortable digging this old gem out of the rubble since I've carried more water than anybody for Therrien.

I don't think Therrien makes it to the spring. They have to do something.

The strength of Therrien is that he's a motivator, he has his finger on the pulse of the team. That's why these games aren't ending in scrums and the team leaders sound like they had a lobotomy after these losses.

But Therrien has no answers right now. His hunches are coming up short. These moves didn't make a lick of sense to me over the past few games:

-Tinordi sits for 35 games, and his first game back plays more in the first period than Subban

-Tonight, with the empty net the guy who's been scoring is on the bench. Plekanec, Dale Weise and Eller are all on the game

-Galchenyuk number 9 TOI last night. Tonight he plays 15 minutes again.

-Andrighetto sits, why?

The job of the coach is to put players in position to score.

He's doing that, as the Habs are regularly out possessing and out chancing other teams.

Therrien can't go on the ice and score the goals... he can put the players in good positions, but they have to shoot the puck and put it in the net.

Therrien also can't make saves if the goalies are under 900.

The team is clearly motivated too.

To me this is more on Bergevin than Therrien. Not enough skill on the team to finish the chances.

Wings and Babcock have won 3 series in the last 6 years.

The job of the coach is to put players in position to score.

He's doing that, as the Habs are regularly out possessing and out chancing other teams.

Therrien can't go on the ice and score the goals... he can put the players in good positions, but they have to shoot the puck and put it in the net.

Therrien also can't make saves if the goalies are under 900.

The team is clearly motivated too.

To me this is more on Bergevin than Therrien. Not enough skill on the team to finish the chances.

I don't think this is all MT, far from in. They've had to abandon their "pucks off glass" system getting out of the defensive zone. I noticed the centers are playing much lower in the defensive zone, and there's always a forward above the puck in the offensive zone. This is having a big effect on scoring. (Johnston was doing this with Crosby early this year)

However, trades are hard to come by, especially to a skinflint like Bergevin. He's unlikely to break the bank for a winger. Something has to change. I give him five games after Price gets back, then the hot seat gets turned on if they keep losing.

I feel comfortable digging this old gem out of the rubble since I've carried more water than anybody for Therrien.

I don't think Therrien makes it to the spring. They have to do something.

Unless they lose a whole bunch more in a row after a trade or two is made, he should be safe. Bergevin trusts Therrien a lot more than people realize and he's not going to fire him when the team is missing their MVP (and has for a sizeable chunk of the season). Therrien's track record with this team is enough that he'll get the benefit of the doubt until Price/Gallagher get back.

Unless they lose a whole bunch more in a row after a trade or two is made, he should be safe. Bergevin trusts Therrien a lot more than people realize and he's not going to fire him when the team is missing their MVP (and has for a sizeable chunk of the season). Therrien's track record with this team is enough that he'll get the benefit of the doubt until Price/Gallagher get back.

Fair enough. what about a first round exit? I think a missed playoff berth would be enough.

Fair enough. what about a first round exit? I think a missed playoff berth would be enough.

Depends on the circumstances. If Price comes back and gets hurt again, the built-in crutch to keep Therrien around exists as no one should expect the Habs to hold down a playoff spot with Condon/Tokarski for much longer. If Price is out long enough that the Habs are in a wildcard spot and lose to a top team in Round 1, that crutch may still be there. I don't think Bergevin is remotely interested in making a coaching change unless things get a whole lot worse.

No, MT should not be fired. This is ridiculous.

However, the team arguably needs to tighten up its overall defensive play. With this netminding, we pay for every single defensive lapse. I thought the Wild had too many openings last night - certainly more than we did. Basically, the Habs need to play like the Wild did once they got the lead.

This is not on MT at all; his system sees the Habs consistently out-chancing their opponents, many of those chances being of the quality variety. The problem is the guys that are paid the big bucks to cash those chances in are not burying them; Subban, Pacioretty, Plekanec, Desharnais have all done deke-all during the slump. The supporting cast, which were burying pucks at all-star level early in the season, have come back to earth...so the underachieving of our so-called leaders is painfully obvious and is killing any chance this team has to win night after night.

No, MT should not be fired. This is ridiculous.

However, the team arguably needs to tighten up its overall defensive play. With this netminding, we pay for every single defensive lapse. I thought the Wild had too many openings last night - certainly more than we did. Basically, the Habs need to play like the Wild did once they got the lead.

I'm not talking about should. Jacques Martin shouldn't have been fired being something like five points out of a playoff spot in 2011. But these things happen. I think it's possible.

Sadly too much dumpster diving over the last few seasons to try to fix a major hole in the team. MB needs to find a team looking to rebuild or go in another direction rather then take on another teams garbage. Briere, Parenteau, Semin, Kassian, and he even tried to get Lecavalier before Briere. He needs another Petry type move just this time in the top 6 forward position.

I'm not talking about should. Jacques Martin shouldn't have been fired being something like five points out of a playoff spot in 2011. But these things happen. I think it's possible.

I think you and I are the only people on earth who agree that JM did a good job and should not have been canned! Anyway, H2O under the bridge.

The point here is that firing MT would be a panic move. I find it hard to believe that Bergy is that kind of GM. Now, if it's February and we're still in this funk, that's another story.

It's a different GM situation. Gauthier made the move in part to try to save his job. Bergevin just signed a five year extension (on top of the year and change left on this deal). He knows he's not getting fired whatever happens so he'll presumably be more patient.

People advocating for MT to be fired should realize that we may get Lefebvre as his replacement. If you thing we need a new coach, who should it be?

A very important point - and I'd say it's likely he would get the job. That's a scary thought.