When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

Funny thing is, if we want an international coach? The best available is Marc Crawford.

If the Rangers miss the playoffs? The best available coach might be Alain Vigneault.

If we want a junior hockey coach with no NHL experience? The best available coach might be Mario Durocher.

And who would have been the best guy to take Therrien's job? Gerard Gallant, who is now head coach of Florida.

There's honestly always good choices in the bilingual department, and if a guy like Mike Babcock wanted to be Habs head coach, I don't think language would stop his hiring. We still interviewed Jim Nill for Habs GM and word was Nill said no, not the Habs.

The fact is, we had to find a new coach at the inopportune time (before Vig was fired in Vancouver) and Therrien was honestly a good available coach. There wasn't a better anglophone coach available at the time. And right now, there isn't a better anglophone coach available better than Therrien.

Funny thing is, if we want an international coach? The best available is Marc Crawford.

If the Rangers miss the playoffs? The best available coach might be Alain Vigneault.

If we want a junior hockey coach with no NHL experience? The best available coach might be Mario Durocher.

And who would have been the best guy to take Therrien's job? Gerard Gallant, who is now head coach of Florida.

There's honestly always good choices in the bilingual department, and if a guy like Mike Babcock wanted to be Habs head coach, I don't think language would stop his hiring. We still interviewed Jim Nill for Habs GM and word was Nill said no, not the Habs.

The fact is, we had to find a new coach at the inopportune time (before Vig was fired in Vancouver) and Therrien was honestly a good available coach. There wasn't a better anglophone coach available at the time. And right now, there isn't a better anglophone coach available better than Therrien.

Marc is not hiring an anglophone coach. That would be PERIOD.

He isn't getting rid of MT anytime soon either.

They were playing way over the heads to start the year, with Price out, being a lottery team is about what I would expect from the current roster. That is a talent issue more than a coaching one.

• Upvote 1

That is a talent issue more than a coaching one.

This is how I feel also; I don't care if Scotty Bowman is behind the bench, you're only going to go so far when you have two legit top 6 caliber wingers out of the 4 positions, and no true #1 caliber center in that group either. The scoring by committee and hot hands in the bottom 6 papered over the shortcomings for awhile, but it HAD to even out over time.

Bergevin will not fire Therrien until he has his star player back, we miss the playoffs, and enter the off-season having grossly underachieved.

He is more likely to make a significant trade to shake things up before that, and as some have stated, Therrien is still the best option out there for this market at the moment. I find it funny how in Montreal the whole city is screaming for the coaches head during a slump, yet in New York, a team who is supposed to be better than us, is doing just as poorly, and some suggest hiring Vingeault here if they fire him?? So let me get this straight, when Montreal slumps its the coaches fault and he is terrible, but when new York slumps its not the coaches fault, and even if he is fired we should hire him? if Bergevin was to Panic as much as 80% of this fanbase Therrien would have been gone by now, but luckily he recognizes that if the coaching change doesn't bring in a better candidate and only acts as a shot of a adrenaline for the next few weeks, just hang on and ride the storm out. There is plenty of time this summer to evaluate the season, the coaches hand in it, and whether there is a better option out there than him during that time.

I have believed it for awhile and still do, Firing Therrien is a cop out, this team is in progression, with most of its core pieces just entering their prime, and the young core not even in their mid twenties yet. Our issues lie in the fact that our Superstar has not played a game in almost 2 months, that this team is not at a level where it can withstand his absence for a long period of time, and that too many of our veterans are slumping at the same time during this already difficult situation. Our record during his first stint on the IR was misleading and created a false sense that we would be ok without Price, but we're not, we were never going to be, so I stand by the belief that this slump is a player personnel issue and not a Coach issue. The coach is simply a crappy excuse to use, because i'm almost positive he is the exact same person today that he was last year, or during the first 3 weeks of this season, but now all of a sudden he forgot how to coach and we can't possibly win with him behind the bench no matter what?

NHL front offices and fanbases need to get out of this ridiculous funk that has been the last 15 years or so, where when your team under performs instead of first looking into improving the product on the ice, you just fire the coach, hope for an electroshock that always seems to wear off, and not actually upgrade your coaching situation 90% of the time. Pittsburgh is currently a great example of this, lets keep firing coaches instead of dealing with the player personnel issues on the ice, the team has no defense at all, relies entirely on offense and completely lacks balance, but the coach needs to go before trading what you have too much of for what you lack. the Jets are a perfect example of a team who got the red bull gives you wings effect from a coaching change only to have the pendulum return to the center this season, in hindsight do they really look any different today than when they were a 9 - 10th place team not too long ago?

Real change happens on the ice people, the real reasons you win or lose are more often on the bench than behind it, and more often on the IR or not. It is time to stop using the Coach, Therrien or any other, as the number one scapegoat to your problems.

• Upvote 1

NHL front offices and fanbases need to get out of this ridiculous funk that has been the last 15 years or so, where when your team under performs instead of first looking into improving the product on the ice, you just fire the coach, hope for an electroshock that always seems to wear off, and not actually upgrade your coaching situation 90% of the time. Pittsburgh is currently a great example of this, lets keep firing coaches instead of dealing with the player personnel issues on the ice, the team has no defense at all, relies entirely on offense and completely lacks balance, but the coach needs to go before trading what you have too much of for what you lack.

I give Anaheim's GM some credit on this particular point. Everyone expected them to fire Boudreau early on and the GM came out and said that would be taking the easy way out. Now they haven't made a trade (yet) but they've basically said to the players that it's on them to fix their situation which is the way it should be.

I give Anaheim's GM some credit on this particular point. Everyone expected them to fire Boudreau early on and the GM came out and said that would be taking the easy way out. Now they haven't made a trade (yet) but they've basically said to the players that it's on them to fix their situation which is the way it should be.

Good example of the right way to do things.

Anaheim didn't fire their coach because they are a budget team that really can't afford to pay two coaches. Unlike the Leafs who are happy to pay 3.

Anaheim didn't fire their coach because they are a budget team that really can't afford to pay two coaches. Unlike the Leafs who are happy to pay 3.

They hired Boudreau in-season and sent Carlyle packing. They are a budget team but they've made an in-season change before.

There wasn't a better anglophone coach available at the time.

There's no way for you to know that. Was Cooper on your radar before he was hired by Tampa? Do we know that Blashill isn't better than Therrien? The fact is we have an extremely limited pool from which to choose a coach, and in all likelihood there's a coach as good or better than our best available outside of that pool.

Ok so this is a new theory for me. No trades, no firing the coach. So basically do absolutely fork all and hope for the best. Hmmmm I have never actually seen that work, have you?

Ok so this is a new theory for me. No trades, no firing the coach. So basically do absolutely fork all and hope for the best. Hmmmm I have never actually seen that work, have you?

They're trying to make a move but a lot of their struggles are on the shoulders of their top players. Getzlaf has three goals this year. Is that the coach's fault (does a new coach means he starts scoring again) or just a really bad slump? It's probably a slump. Kesler has really struggled, Perry has underperformed, Silfverberg has six points all year and Hagelin eight. Did all of these players decide to tune out the coach? I don't think so and their GM doesn't either. They're all just slumping at the same time...boy, that sounds familiar. That team has too much talent to keep struggling so rather than make a panic move, they're being patient.

As for whether or not this approach has worked before, it's not like we've seen it all that often. Usually by now a team has scapegoated a coach or made a trade or two. Anaheim's roster isn't all that different from the team that made the conference finals last year so patience is the right way to go here in my opinion. They'll be better - they have to be with that roster.

They're trying to make a move but a lot of their struggles are on the shoulders of their top players. Getzlaf has three goals this year. Is that the coach's fault (does a new coach means he starts scoring again) or just a really bad slump? It's probably a slump. Kesler has really struggled, Perry has underperformed, Silfverberg has six points all year and Hagelin eight. Did all of these players decide to tune out the coach? I don't think so and their GM doesn't either. They're all just slumping at the same time...boy, that sounds familiar. That team has too much talent to keep struggling so rather than make a panic move, they're being patient.

As for whether or not this approach has worked before, it's not like we've seen it all that often. Usually by now a team has scapegoated a coach or made a trade or two. Anaheim's roster isn't all that different from the team that made the conference finals last year so patience is the right way to go here in my opinion. They'll be better - they have to be with that roster.

Sounds like San Jose to me. They have the talent, but there they are 13th out of 14 in their conference. All be it a very tight conference, but this team has underachieved for years and now the window has probably passed them by. Patience does not always work.

There is no panic BUT he became GM May 2, 2012, We are coming onto 4 years and this team don't look good right now. Is this a 5 year plan or 10. I loved the Vanek move even though Le Genius managed to fork that up, imho. But that was a short term rental. Did not mean much to the club moving forward. Petry is a good signing, but he like some others seems to have a hard time staying out of Le Genius's doghouse. I don't think Johansen was a fit for us. Probably Drouin isn't either under the system (if there is one) that is being employed by the current coaching staff. I do not believe that Le Genius can take us to the cup and that his "system" is hampering Markdown Marc in his attempts to improve the club. Anyway this club needs a severe shake up and fast or we will be a lottery team, which is just embarrassing.

Petry is a good signing, but he like some others seems to have a hard time staying out of Le Genius's doghouse.

He has played at least 18 minutes in every game this year (aside from the one he got hurt in) while he's averaging over 21 minutes a game. I wouldn't say he's in the doghouse at all.

Desharnais and Plekanec are mired in atrocious slumps that are - drum-roll please - ATYPICAL of their proven performance-level as NHLers. Subban is also playing below capability IMHO. And the team is missing Price. Patches is coming around after a long dry stretch and we just got Gallagher back.

Thus, four major pieces are either MIA or injured, while the same was true for two other major pieces until recently. You could also toss in that Markov ad Petry have not been at their best either.

The problem with taking December as 'evidence' that the team 'is not good enough' is that it takes ABERRANT individual performances by key players as TYPICAL performances by key players.

Any decision to make a 'big move' needs to be undertaken, not on the basis of atypical stretches of play, but on the basis of players' average performance level.

The one caveat here is the possibility that certain players may no longer be capable of playing up to the level of their past 'average' performances. I keep bringing this up, and no one seems interested, but it is possible that at 33 Plekanec can no longer be the reliable offensive producer he's long been. Markov, meanwhile, is on borrowed time. When key cogs suddenly get old, that complicates the picture considerably. I don't know if that's what's happened, but it might be a factor. If so, we should look to move those assets while they still have value, especially Pleks; and the Slump provides rather good cover for doing that.

• Upvote 2

I'vw been a pleks supporter from the playing like a little girl comment until 2 years ago. I think we should have moved him last year and if we could get a decent return I'd move him now. Ericsson netted Seguin. I think pleks could have netted a good young players two years ago as well.

I'd like to see us move both pleks and DD.

Markov has a full NTC, so no chance of moving him.

I wonder if any team even wants Markov?

Plek definitely has alot more value

Guest Stogey24

Vanek was a better PPG player in Montreal than he has been in Minnesota. Was letting him walk really the wrong decision?

He's been really good this year. Was on fire to start the year. I'll never forget how hard he dogged it in the playoffs for this team though

Desharnais and Plekanec are mired in atrocious slumps that are - drum-roll please - ATYPICAL of their proven performance-level as NHLers. Subban is also playing below capability IMHO. And the team is missing Price. Patches is coming around after a long dry stretch and we just got Gallagher back.

Thus, four major pieces are either MIA or injured, while the same was true for two other major pieces until recently. You could also toss in that Markov ad Petry have not been at their best either.

The problem with taking December as 'evidence' that the team 'is not good enough' is that it takes ABERRANT individual performances by key players as TYPICAL performances by key players.

Any decision to make a 'big move' needs to be undertaken, not on the basis of atypical stretches of play, but on the basis of players' average performance level.

The one caveat here is the possibility that certain players may no longer be capable of playing up to the level of their past 'average' performances. I keep bringing this up, and no one seems interested, but it is possible that at 33 Plekanec can no longer be the reliable offensive producer he's long been. Markov, meanwhile, is on borrowed time. When key cogs suddenly get old, that complicates the picture considerably. I don't know if that's what's happened, but it might be a factor. If so, we should look to move those assets while they still have value, especially Pleks; and the Slump provides rather good cover for doing that.

Or the Coach kindly old gentleman that he is is a piece of shit . It is possible n'es pas