Respecting and supporting PK!

REV-G

I really don't get it. Thomas P. misses a penalty shot....Alex G. doesn't do too well on face-offs, but PK seems to be the one always being penalized by the coach and getting these snide and veiled comments made about him. His coach doesn't endorse him for the Olympic team and gives him a reduced TOI last night.

I was in favour of hiring MT compared to the other candidates available at the time. And so far I think he's done a good job. He gave DD a really long time to get things back on track. He didn't cut back on his ice time until the last game and then finally scratched him last night. Francis B. has struggled, as has Douglas Murray, but they had either roughly the same or more shifts last night than PK.

What is it that MT has against PK? It's getting kind of obvious now based on ice time, usage and comments that that there is a problem. PK is our best defenceman, a Norris trophy winner and he's treated shabbily by our coach.

To me this is getting personal and I think MB needs to sit down with MT, if he hasn't already, and point his coach on a bit of a different plan. We lost a superstar goalie and it took us years to recover. I don't want to see things slowly boil and then have it explode into a mess that will be difficult to fix.

I was born and raised in Montreal but now live in Ontario so I don't hear the phone in callers who evidently are incensed over what's happening and what MT is doing with PK. So what do you think needs to happen in order to fix this?

It's not personal, rather I think it's financial. Negotiations are coming up.

Now, I really hope that's not the case, because if it is, then bad form. But it explains a lot.

I firmly believe that if things get out of hand, with contract negotiations, Geoff Molson will step in. Do we want a meddling owner? No, but in this case, PK is more important than Therrien, and Bergevin ever will be.

If it is a negotiation tactic, it is incredibly idiotic. Sabotage our star player's performance to make his earn less? Not only is it detrimental to the team's chances, it isn't working because PK is still leading the team in scoring. PK's getting 7.5 million+, and it better be from us.

If he is looking for a shorter deal to take him to free agency, it's a huge failure by management and coaching. Like Houle-Tremblay-level idiocy. I hope it's clear to PK that the organization is behind him and all this media speculation is overblown. Of course, we can't tell a thing from PK because he is in fact a good soldier who says the right things to the press.

Seems like there is already a thread with this subject.

LOL

I think myself, that PK and Therrien have a dynamic going on that borders on a friendship. Therrien doesn't waste his time on losers, he's taking PK on as a project, not because he isn't a top NHL dman, but that IMO, his dominance is based on pure athleticism, and can still be tutored on the finer aspects of the game.

Look at Plekanec on that penalty shot. He's not stone hands Moen, but he's maximized all of his abilities, and they want PK to be a player who makes the most out of what he has.

Do how do you explain his PK bashing from his RDS days??

LOL

I think myself, that PK and Therrien have a dynamic going on that borders on a friendship. Therrien doesn't waste his time on losers, he's taking PK on as a project, not because he isn't a top NHL dman, but that IMO, his dominance is based on pure athleticism, and can still be tutored on the finer aspects of the game.

Look at Plekanec on that penalty shot. He's not stone hands Moen, but he's maximized all of his abilities, and they want PK to be a player who makes the most out of what he has.

PK is not trusted VERSUS our other shutdown D. Everyone acts like this is horribly unjust, but how did PK demonstrate the coach was wrong? Minus 2. Stupid lazy giveaway.

When PK starts playing better, he will get more defensive responsibilities.

As for last night, he only missed one shift in the last minute. Hanging on for a point, I wouldn't put him out then either. He was used in OT, for offence. Diaz played more because we had one PP and 4 PKs, simple as that.

I am tired of arguments that PK should play 30 minutes because player X on another team plays that much. That isn't a great argument. Maybe those teams have a different team concept...different quality of defence, a bad coach overplaying one guy and wearing him out. Who cares.

Right now, I want to see PK dominate offensively and play better in his own end. I suspect when that happens, he will get more ice time. He is still averaging 20+ a night and usually the most on the team. He isn't in the press box.

• Upvote 1

PK is not trusted VERSUS our other shutdown D. Everyone acts like this is horribly unjust, but how did PK demonstrate the coach was wrong? Minus 2. Stupid lazy giveaway.

When PK starts playing better, he will get more defensive responsibilities.

As for last night, he only missed one shift in the last minute. Hanging on for a point, I wouldn't put him out then either. He was used in OT, for offence. Diaz played more because we had one PP and 4 PKs, simple as that.

I am tired of arguments that PK should play 30 minutes because player X on another team plays that much. That isn't a great argument. Maybe those teams have a different team concept...different quality of defence, a bad coach overplaying one guy and wearing him out. Who cares.

Right now, I want to see PK dominate offensively and play better in his own end. I suspect when that happens, he will get more ice time. He is still averaging 20+ a night and usually the most on the team. He isn't in the press box.

Not to wind you up, but...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/larry-robinson-effect-san-jose-sharks-230027792--nhl.html

Many a coach will choose to be hard on the players they like the most - and ignore the ones they could do without. It's common. And it's only November in a very long year. If PK is getting under 20 min in Feb and Mar, there's a real concern. Until then, I could care less.

• Upvote 1

With 6 minutes to go in the game PK plays a 2 minute long shift.

He then sits the next 4 minutes, before playing 2 more shifts in OT.

media controversy.... why did PK sit for 4 minutes?

Exactly. Why put him on in the last minute when the team is clearly playing for a point. Bring him out for OT, which they did.

To argue he should be out in the last minute protecting a point or a lead is to argue that he is one of your top two shutdown D. I love PK, but he isn't one of our top two defensive D.

We don't know what has been said behind closed doors. P.K. could have been directly disobeying the coach or inadvertently doing things that makes the coach go batsh*t crazy.

He makes me crazy sometimes when he is one arming along the blue line fighhting guys off when he should have passed the puck before.

He sometimes tries to do to much himself. I also understand that he is exciting and sometimes it appears that he may be the only guy who is trying to win the game aside from Gally and Chuk.

Maybe in the eyes of the coach he is a showoff who is a risk and he wants to send a message that he is not bigger than the team and its the coach's way.

With that said... I don't understand it either

Exactly. Why put him on in the last minute when the team is clearly playing for a point. Bring him out for OT, which they did.

To argue he should be out in the last minute protecting a point or a lead is to argue that he is one of your top two shutdown D. I love PK, but he isn't one of our top two defensive D.

PK is definitely among our top two shutdown defensemen, if given a chance (which he hasn't gotten from Therrien).

• Upvote 1

PK is definitely among our top two shutdown defensemen, if given a chance (which he hasn't gotten from Therrien).

All d-men but Beaulieu play more PK time than Subban and Habs are now 5th on the PK, what is the frickin problem?

Seems since Murray started playing PK has really improved and Markov, Gorges and Diaz are all doing a very superb job. And once Emelin comes back, I highly doubt Subban will even see a shift on the PK and still play 25minutes a game and be an offensive difference maker and he will lose no sleep over being able to rest during the PK as many top offensive players do.

And that will be a final comment for myself on this non-issue. Why not discuss how Bournival is tied for team lead with a +6, or just how good Price is playing, or how hot LL is in Hamilton instead (8 points in last 4 games)?

I think PK's Ice-time has less to do with him than his teammates. With Emelin coming back, and in the medium term Drewiske, there is a bottleneck on defense and a trade will need to be made. Defensemen who are not in long term plans are being showcased and they are hoping that especially Bouillon and Murray can put up some decent stats show their worth to another playoff contender. I think it's 50/50 as to whether or not Diaz is in this category as well.

Crucially, I think for MB, the bottleneck on D will not allow him to continue seasoning the bevy of solid defensive prospects on the farm. We have seen good things from Tinordi and Beaulieu but let's not forget that Nygren is arguably Hamilton's best D right now.

The illogic of Subban's icetime is potent now but does anyone really think that down the stretch and potentially into the playoffs MT will be resting PK for the last 4 minutes of the game?

Edited by ChileHabsFan

Markov, Gorges, Murray, and even Diaz are ahead of him in this role right now. If he wants a chance, don't cost the team goals with soft defensive plays.

I think we have no choice but to trust our coach on these matters. I'm no fan of his, but Therrien has a track record of successfully developing young players. He is much closer to Subban than we are. He should get the benefit of the doubt, therefore. And I don't believe for a minute that he is slavishly implementing some fiendish managerial scheme to deflate PK's market value even at the cost of winning games. No coach would ever do that.

People are always terrified that NHL players are babies, and/or that they can't wait to get out of town. I watched as the Canucks hired Torterella and anxiety swept through the fanbase about whether the Sedins would be able to handle this demanding hardass. "They're gonna be gone after next year," the fans fretted (or in some cases, hoped - there have always been Sedin-haters among these idiots). Lo and behold, they love playing under him, their careers are rejuvenated, and they re-upped for another four years.

I heard the same thing about Markov. He was never going to sign here long-term. He was going to walk as a UFA and leave us holding the bag. Lo and behold, he never wanted to leave at all.

So I'm not panicking. Let's stay cool, assume that PK is a man who can handle a bit of criticism and adversity, and that the Habs are not foolish enough to be actively trying to grind him to dust. If it all does go to sh*t then I will be the first in line to call for the heads of Therrien and Bergevin on a platter. But I'm not going to be Chicken Little about it. In the words of Carey Price: chill.

Markov, Gorges, Murray, and even Diaz are ahead of him in this role right now. If he wants a chance, don't cost the team goals with soft defensive plays.

Markov sent a goal onto the Ottawa player's stick last game. Murray's fumbling caused a goal the game before. 'Soft defensive plays' is practically Diaz's middle name. Subban certainly isn't responsible for more weak plays in his own end than his teammates.

• 3 weeks later...

“There were times he’d push you to get the best out of you and other times like that where he really showed he believed in you and gave you responsibility,” he said. “In my situation, I think I thrived with that responsibility and being held accountable. And I loved to learn, so that was a great time for me.”

- Sidney Crosby

Guest Stogey24