5 most indispensable Habs

Long term, maybe. But not right now, surely?

Our top three forwards scoring right now are Plekanec, Gallagher and Galchenyuk. It seems to have slipped under the cracks he has the second most assists on the team behind Subban. He isn't close to his potential yet and is already one of our best playmaking forwards. Yes, he is indispensable now. Galchenyuk goes injured and suddenly we're relying on our defence even more to pass the puck. Galchenyuk has nine assists. Combine the next two forwards (Plekanec and Gionta) and you get 11 assists. In other words, he almost has the same amount of assists as the next two forwards combined.

Least afford to lose? Yes.

I assumed it as present circumstances, but if you are looking down the road, Galchenyuk may be a smart choice to stick with (but Markov will be retired then also)?

Prust? Really?? ahead of Markov??

I'm a huge Markov fan, I have been since my teen years, but does anyone remember what he looked like with Diaz? Markov is benefiting from Subban. He's no slouch, but I think he's being carried defensively. Brandon Prust should be the next captain, the team is different with him in the lineup. Are we headed in a different direction or no? Naming a company man of a previous regime would be a dumb managerial mistake from MB/MT. Prust is their guy.

I'm also concerned with Gorges being the captain incarnate, but he's not on anyone's list

Being captain is different, I think.

He is very good defensively, with a very limited skillset and he will pay the price to block every shot he can, dosent whine and if you see the 24CH shows, he is the cheerleader of the bunch, it seems anyways.

But he unlikely will ever be an all-star, as the other players most have ranked "could be" I suppose?.

They need an interim captain and IMO Markov should be that guy. If they can get him to sign another 3 year deal they should jump at it.

The habs made the mistake in the late 80's, early 90's when Savard dumped all his veteran dmen (Robinson, Ludwig, green) around the same time and than also dumped Chelios. I don't want that to happen again. You keep Markov to mentor all the young dmen in the pipeline.

Personally, I think they need to move Gorges for another Emelin type physical dman.

Longer term, I think you make one of the kids the captain in another 2 to 3 years, but Markov should be the guy now.

I can't see Prust playing more than 60 games a season and IMO he is a complementary piece and not a captain. Very few good teams have Prust type of players as Captains now. I'm a strong believer of having one if your best players as your captain and hope that Subban or one of the Gally's can mature into that role.

I'm a huge Markov fan, I have been since my teen years, but does anyone remember what he looked like with Diaz? Markov is benefiting from Subban. He's no slouch, but I think he's being carried defensively. Brandon Prust should be the next captain, the team is different with him in the lineup. Are we headed in a different direction or no? Naming a company man of a previous regime would be a dumb managerial mistake from MB/MT. Prust is their guy.

I'm also concerned with Gorges being the captain incarnate, but he's not on anyone's list

They need an interim captain and IMO Markov should be that guy. If they can get him to sign another 3 year deal they should jump at it. Er

The habs made the mistake in the late 80's, early 90's when Savard dumped all his veteran dmen (Robinson, Ludwig, green) around the same time and than also dumped Chelios. I don't want that to happen again. You keep Markov to mentor all the young dmen in the pipeline.

Personally, I think they need to move Gorges for another Emelin type physical dman.

Longer term, I think you make one of the kids the captain in another 2 to 3 years, but Markov should be the guy now.

I can't see Prust playing more than 60 games a season and IMO he is a complementary piece and not a captain. Very few good teams have Prust type of players as Captains now. I'm a strong believer of having one if your best players as your captain and hope that Subban or one of the Gally's can mature into that role.

I can agree with that, I've seen enough of Josh Gorges. He did well with Subban and Gill, but he's a very average number 4 defenseman.

Commandant, do you want to see Markov and Plekanec traded, and for whom?

Ladislav Smid was just traded for two b level prospects, why weren't we in on that? Was "the price too high?" Caption probably, making that Briere money work for us! Danny Boy is just going explode for 25-30 points!

Ladislav Smid was just traded for two b level prospects, why weren't we in on that? Was "the price too high?" Caption probably, making that Briere money work for us! Danny Boy is just going explode for 25-30 points!

Fitting in a $3.5 M cap hit this year without moving any NHL money back would not have been possible.

Fitting in a $3.5 M cap hit this year without moving any NHL money back would not have been possible.

Stupid autocorrect. Change "caption" to "cap room." Nevertheless...Briere! Briere! Briere! And Parros too, he's the Rockefeller of NHL goons.

I'd love to see Gorges get shipped out for Dmitri Kulikov. Kulikov is a 40-50 pt defenseman on the right team. He would make the second pp wave dangerous, and you can slot in Subban for Gorges on the PK. Florida gets it's veteran leader, MTL gets size and a top 4 guy, and Kulikov gets a a couple of Russian comrades on the backend.

Subban-Markov

Diaz-Emelin

Kulikov-Murray/Bouillon

Next year

Subban-Markov

Emelin-Kulikov

Diaz-Tinordi

Thats one of the best defenses in the league.

Stupid autocorrect. Change "caption" to "cap room." Nevertheless...Briere! Briere! Briere! And Parros too, he's the Rockefeller of NHL goons.

I'd love to see Gorges get shipped out for Dmitri Kulikov. Kulikov is a 40-50 pt defenseman on the right team. He would make the second pp wave dangerous, and you can slot in Subban for Gorges on the PK. Florida gets it's veteran leader, MTL gets size and a top 4 guy, and Kulikov gets a a couple of Russian comrades on the backend.

Subban-Markov

Diaz-Emelin

Kulikov-Murray/Bouillon

Next year

Subban-Markov

Emelin-Kulikov

Diaz-Tinordi

Thats one of the best defenses in the league.

Don't forget Murray seems like a frickin saviour or the missing link to Habs penalty kill, which is now 3rd in league and Habs are batting .1000 since he suited up!

I know it could just be an anomaly; but, he likely cant be any slower next season and is a cheap behemoth with playoff experience (he also could mentor de la Rose-Collberg if they make the move next year?).

Gorges is like a "Rudy Ruettiger", going undrafted and the kind of teammate I think all respect, I am in no hurry to trade him. But if Bergevin is as frustrated as he looked last game, who knows what he may do if lose next game or 2?

Don't forget Murray seems like a frickin saviour or the missing link to Habs penalty kill, which is now 3rd in league and Habs are batting .1000 since he suited up!

I know it could just be an anomaly; but, he likely cant be any slower next season and is a cheap behemoth with playoff experience (he also could mentor de la Rose-Collberg if they make the move next year?).

Gorges is like a "Rudy Ruettiger", going undrafted and the kind of teammate I think all respect, I am in no hurry to trade him. But if Bergevin is as frustrated as he looked last game, who knows what he may do if lose next game or 2?

Maybe Murray should just play like it is a penalty kill all the time, cause if you let him touch the puck, it ends up in our net.

Maybe Murray should just play like it is a penalty kill all the time, cause if you let him touch the puck, it ends up in our net.

Yes, I would dump puck in to his corner every time also; but if you recall another fan favorite, excessively tall d-man, handled every puck like was a live grenade also and he was a good guy to have on team (and I hope he comes back to town as a d-coach down the road).

We already had a chance at the best d coach ther us, but for some reason MT and MB weren't as interested in bringing big bird back in the fold. To have to settle or look forward at getting Gill, is like owning test driving a Ferrari and getting a Suzuki.

Yes, I would dump puck in to his corner every time also; but if you recall another fan favorite, excessively tall d-man, handled every puck like was a live grenade also and he was a good guy to have on team (and I hope he comes back to town as a d-coach down the road).

We already had a chance at the best d coach ther us, but for some reason MT and MB weren't as interested in bringing big bird back in the fold. To have to settle or look forward at getting Gill, is like owning test driving a Ferrari and getting a Suzuki.

I don't blame MB. MB and big bird on the same bench, who's the best coach?

Same situation in SJ

I don't blame MB. MB and big bird on the same bench, who's the best coach?

I can agree with that, I've seen enough of Josh Gorges. He did well with Subban and Gill, but he's a very average number 4 defenseman.

Commandant, do you want to see Markov and Plekanec traded, and for whom?

No, I think they still have a lot of hockey left in them, and they will be very hard to replace.

Down the road, maybe, but not right now.

If we are in a playoff spot, I highly doubt we trade Markov, even if negotiations aren't going well. Probably deal him at the draft if they can't sign him, like Gonchar.

If we tank, then all bets are off.

I'm going with

1. Carey Price

2. PK Subban

3. Tomas Plekanec

4. Andrei Markov

5. Brandon Prust

Honorable mention to Alexei Emelin, But that 5th spot basically went to the player that is unique in his role to the team, and the role being a great asset. In Prust's case, he is tough as nails, great on the PK, and can actually contribute to the game of hockey much like a Chris Neil when needed, no other forward can do his job. Same for Emelin, he plays brutal, rugged defensive hockey, and he can chip in offensively from time to time, he wreaks havoc out there like no other d-man we have. The only reason I value Prust above him at this point, is because Emelin has a shadow lurking in the minors by the name of Tinordi, in a season or 2, he will not be the only one playing his role on our team. Prust on the other hand has no one coming up from our prospect pool to fill his role in the near future.

Great thread! Here's mine:

1. Price

2. Markov

3. Subban

4. Gallagher

5. Prust

I think Bournival has made Gionta obsolete. While Brian is still a decent top 9 guy, better to trade him for something we need. Question is, what do we need?

Gorges will be voted the next captain with Markov and Plex as assistants.

Great thread! Here's mine:

1. Price

2. Markov

3. Subban

4. Gallagher

5. Prust

I think Bournival has made Gionta obsolete. While Brian is still a decent top 9 guy, better to trade him for something we need. Question is, what do we need?

Gorges will be voted the next captain with Markov and Plex as assistants.

Gionta once had 24 PP goals in a season, 48 goal season still a Devil record, been to Olympics, won a cup, in his 11th year, is on a 20 goal pace and unless Habs are out of playoffs, he isn't being traded this year.

And still laugh about story where Gionta was listed at 5'8" in press when he played at B.C. and he complained to coach ( and coach said that he assumed he was gonna complain about being listed too small, as some do), but Gionta wanted it corrected to 5'7".

So, sure his best days are past, but if on any playoff run, his experience and character is likely needed on this team.

1. Subban // You can't afford to lose the best defenseman in the league

2. Price // You really can't afford to lose your starting goaltender

3. Emelin // just look at the Habs record with or without him in the lineup

Those are really the only indispensable Habs. If they get injured for 3 months, we can't replace them.

My favorite player is Plekanec, he is very valuable to the Habs. But if he gets injured, I can see Eller taking increased icetime, Briere pinching in on the offense and Bournival and Leblanc on PK.

If I have to add other players that can't get injured, I'd add Galchenyuk. He's our allstar on offense for years to come and we don't want to see him sustain another serious injury this early in his career.

There's no need to add Pacioretty to the list as he is a wolverine and injuries can't keep him out of the lineup for long.

So my 5th would be Markov. Another serious injury would really compromise his career, and he still has good hockey in him.

• Upvote 1

Here's the thing with Gionta. He is a good player, but we are not, realistically, contenders this season, and we have already replaced his skill-set from within by players of a somewhat similar profile (Gallagher and Bournival). That's what you're supposed to do in a cap system: replace ageing, declining, expensive vets with cheaper young talent. We are in a position to do that for once. So the question is not whether we should keep Gio, but rather whether we should trade him at the deadline for assets, or else keep him for the playoffs and let him walk as a UFA.

Since this team is not a contender, trading him for assets make a lot more sense than letting him walk for no return. I believe that a healthy Gio could net a good return from some team that is hot for the Cup and hungry to add proven scoring and leadership to their top-9.

This is in no way to slag Gionta. It's about asset management with an eye to becoming contenders in 2-3 years. If he isn't dealt, I will be disappointed, just as I was when we pointlessly held on to Souray.

I hope people read my argument for Galchenyuk again and maybe look back to some previous games.

As for Re: Gionta you don't trade your captain when you can make the playoffs. You want your locker room to turn on you? That's a damn good way. Yes they have to play regardless but you want forward momentum, not backwards. Markov and Gionta are the leaders of the team. Treat them like UFA acquisitions in September instead of bargaining chips.

As of today, this is what my list would look like.

1. Price

2. Subban

3. Markov

4. Patches

5. Prust

In another year, i would expect to see the names of Galchenyuk and Eller appear on that list.