5 most indispensable Habs

Here's the thing with Gionta. He is a good player, but we are not, realistically, contenders this season, and we have already replaced his skill-set from within by players of a somewhat similar profile (Gallagher and Bournival). That's what you're supposed to do in a cap system: replace ageing, declining, expensive vets with cheaper young talent. We are in a position to do that for once. So the question is not whether we should keep Gio, but rather whether we should trade him at the deadline for assets, or else keep him for the playoffs and let him walk as a UFA.

Since this team is not a contender, trading him for assets make a lot more sense than letting him walk for no return. I believe that a healthy Gio could net a good return from some team that is hot for the Cup and hungry to add proven scoring and leadership to their top-9.

This is in no way to slag Gionta. It's about asset management with an eye to becoming contenders in 2-3 years. If he isn't dealt, I will be disappointed, just as I was when we pointlessly held on to Souray.

I completely agree with your assessment. You think we could get a 2nd round pick for Gio?

I completely agree with your assessment. You think we could get a 2nd round pick for Gio?

Douglas Murray commanded two second-round picks. So I think we can get more than just a single 2nd-rounder for a consistently productive player with Cup rings and a history of clutch performances, who is still close enough to his prime to be an impact addition to a contender's top-9. Gio is the perfect image of a 'difference maker' acquired at the deadline, the kind of addition who goes on to be a key cog in a Cup run. It's just a matter of creating a bidding war and identifying teams that are desperate for a championship (Vancouver?) and willing to pay.

Here's the thing with Gionta. He is a good player, but we are not, realistically, contenders this season, and we have already replaced his skill-set from within by players of a somewhat similar profile (Gallagher and Bournival). That's what you're supposed to do in a cap system: replace ageing, declining, expensive vets with cheaper young talent. We are in a position to do that for once. So the question is not whether we should keep Gio, but rather whether we should trade him at the deadline for assets, or else keep him for the playoffs and let him walk as a UFA.

Since this team is not a contender, trading him for assets make a lot more sense than letting him walk for no return. I believe that a healthy Gio could net a good return from some team that is hot for the Cup and hungry to add proven scoring and leadership to their top-9.

This is in no way to slag Gionta. It's about asset management with an eye to becoming contenders in 2-3 years. If he isn't dealt, I will be disappointed, just as I was when we pointlessly held on to Souray.

I just can't see a Bergevin-Therrien regime dealing our captain as we enter the playoffs, with their emphasis on character. There's something to be said for making a positive push in the post-season even if you know that you're a long-shot. Is it worth it to mess with the chemistry of a young team? I agree with your logic, however, and if Gionta didn't have the C the situation would be different, which begs the question of how important the letters on the jersey are in this locker room.