5 most indispensable Habs

Sort of a ricochet off the "overrated/underrated" thread. List the players the Habs could least afford to lose (say, to extended injury), in order of importance. Here's mine:

1. Carey Price

2. PK Subban

3. Andrei Markov

4. Tomas Plekanec

5. Max Pacioretty

I'm pretty curious to see whether there's much disagreement here. I suspect that (4) and (5) will be the most disputed.

Juha Lind

Johan Witehall

Jason Ward

Marcel Hossa

Niklas Sundstrom

May you all enjoy therapy.

And I raise you a Pierre Dagenais.

Thread won.

You forgot Kyle Chipchura! booo!

I'm surprised at Price for number one, Cukes. He's doing well and his position is the most important, but he's also more readily replaceable when you look around the league than a guy like Subban.

Here's my list:

1. Subban

2. Price

3. Markov

4. Plekanec

5. Eller

I put Eller above MaxPac because without him our centre position looks awful again, whereas the team can survive without Pacioretty pretty well. The toughest call is between Markov and Price, but I went with Price because he's been good this year.

Sort of a ricochet off the "overrated/underrated" thread. List the players the Habs could least afford to lose (say, to extended injury), in order of importance. Here's mine:

1. Carey Price

2. PK Subban

3. Andrei Markov

4. Tomas Plekanec

5. Max Pacioretty

I'm pretty curious to see whether there's much disagreement here. I suspect that (4) and (5) will be the most disputed.

my choices exactly. Maybe honorable mention to Emelin seeing the results of his injury.

Subban

Price

Markov

Galleghar

Eller

Galchenyuk is close to overtaking Eller. Maxpac isn't here since hi wolverine and would be back quick anyways.

Pleks isn't here since it's the kids who have provided the spark and been the most consistent this year

Turner Stevenson

Oleg Petrov

Peter Popovic

Patrick Poulin

Sylvain Turgeon

Depressed yet?

Raise

Jocelyn Blouin

Eric Landry

Christian Laflamme

Bill Lindsay

Jassen Cullimore

• Upvote 1

Price, because we can't ride Budaj for more than 10-15 before we start seeing too many holes.

Markov, because he's the experience that Subban still needs - and once again he's taking good players and is making them better. Subban's best hockey ever? Beside Markov.

Subban, because stud defenders are impossible to find. Also because he's severely underrated defensively.

Plekanec, because: glue.

Gallagher, because consistency.

Having said that, I don't disagree with Patches and the reasons for having him over Gally would also be very compelling. I'm not against anyone listing Emelin either, since, well, when did he go down with the injury and how have we done since then? I think there could also be compelling arguments made for Eller, Galchenyuk, and Gionta - though I don't think they'd be compelling enough for me to agree. Finally, if someone said Prust, I could see the logic.

Raise

Jocelyn Blouin

Eric Landry

Christian Laflamme

Bill Lindsay

Jassen Cullimore

Yeah, sorry. I said Lind and Witehall. Game, set, and match. Bienvenue la visite.

Hey, Bill Lindsay was all right ;) The horror of the dark years for me isn't encapsulated in these names, so much as in statements like "Oleg Petrov: Habs' leading scorer" or "Brian Savage, potential all-star."

:scared:

Neech, I think if Price went down, this team as it stands would be deader than disco at the Hard Rock Café. That's why he's #1 on my list.

1- Price

2- Markov

3- Subban

4- Plekanec

5- Prust

Goaltending is most important thing and while Budaj is a good backup he's not a starting goalie that can carry the load. I went with Markov over Subban just because of the history of Markov in the lineup vs out of lineup. Plus I took into account this whole weird coaching thing with Subban with markov out do they put more faith in him late game and pk or are we seeing more bouillon etc. Plekanec just because of the multiple tools he provides. Prust just bring an element that no one else on the roster can replace, I think we are a much better team when he's playing on our 3rd line and getting 12-15 minutes a game.

Isn't it bad that no one lists Gionta? He's supposed to be the captain and he didn't cross my mind once!

My picks:

1. Subban

2. Price

3. Prust

4. Gallagher

5. Plekanec

1. Subban- The star, the game breaker, the franchise. Needs no explanation.

2. Price- Quality of play from Price is the difference between a number 10 seed, number 8 seed, and a number 4 seed.

3. Prust- In my opinion, it's like a band. There are two bandleaders. The guy who books the gigs, and does the business, and the guy on stage who has the best time. (Rhythm). Prust has the best time.

4. Gallagher- Shows up every night to play, and is on pace for 40 goals this year.

5. Plekanec- Like a great bass player, only noticed when he's not around. Fans would think more of him if he got injured, and the team was forced to play without him for two-four weeks.

1. Carey Price

2. PK Subban

3. Andrei Markov

4. Tomas Plekanec

5. Max Pacioretty

Subban, Price, Yemelin, Plekanec, Eller

Hey, Bill Lindsay was all right ;) The horror of the dark years for me isn't encapsulated in these names, so much as in statements like "Oleg Petrov: Habs' leading scorer" or "Brian Savage, potential all-star."

:scared:

Neech, I think if Price went down, this team as it stands would be deader than disco at the Hard Rock Café. That's why he's #1 on my list.

If Price or Subban went down, Habs would duke it out for Reinhart-Ekblad next spring at draft.

Price/Subban/Galchenyuk/Gallagher/Plekanec

I would go similar but switch Galchenyuk (at this point in his career) for Markov (for who knows how much longer, but as of now) and like the earlier comments about Prust as he provides much needed grit with ability to play minutes, tough to replace that these days as the game evolves. If Emelin returns to form he could be an integral part as well since he also provides physical presence combined with skill. Cool thread, loving some of the answers lol.

Good point about Gionta not being listed, seems like just when you are ready to call him out he comes up with a multi-point game. Hopefully that comes soon.

Isn't it bad that no one lists Gionta? He's supposed to be the captain and he didn't cross my mind once!

My picks:

1. Subban

2. Price

3. Prust

4. Gallagher

5. Plekanec

1. Subban- The star, the game breaker, the franchise. Needs no explanation.

2. Price- Quality of play from Price is the difference between a number 10 seed, number 8 seed, and a number 4 seed.

3. Prust- In my opinion, it's like a band. There are two bandleaders. The guy who books the gigs, and does the business, and the guy on stage who has the best time. (Rhythm). Prust has the best time.

4. Gallagher- Shows up every night to play, and is on pace for 40 goals this year.

5. Plekanec- Like a great bass player, only noticed when he's not around. Fans would think more of him if he got injured, and the team was forced to play without him for two-four weeks.

Prust? Really?? ahead of Markov??

Gio gets a rough ride. He is a valuable contributor, and there's no rule that says that the captain has to be one of the "five most indispensable guys" on a hockey team. Mike Keane wasn't in the top five either, but that doesn't mean he was a bad captain.

Gionta is, however, destined to be shipped out at the deadline, with the "C" going either to Gorges or Pleks. Hopefully Gio is healthy at that juncture.

Gionta is, however, destined to be shipped out at the deadline, with the "C" going either to Gorges or Pleks. Hopefully Gio is healthy at that juncture.

Not if they're in a playoff spot. Playoff-bound teams seldom deal their captain come deadline time.

If he was going to get moved it would have been in the summer. No way MB does it if we are fighting for a playoff spot.

Personally, I'd try and move Gorges, Gionta and Desharnais (as soon as he starts producing). They need to change the makeup if the team and I'd rather ensure we have money to resign both Markov and Subban (better be for 8 years this time), and I can't see us doing that with Gorges and Emelin making over $4m.

Gio gets a rough ride. He is a valuable contributor, and there's no rule that says that the captain has to be one of the "five most indispensable guys" on a hockey team. Mike Keane wasn't in the top five either, but that doesn't mean he was a bad captain.