Galchenyuk 1st overall pick!

REV-G

I know it's still a little early to be looking at and evaluating drafts that were only two years ago, but I can't help but think that if that draft were to be held today Alex Galchenyuk would be the 1st overall pick.

Of course there are still areas he needs to work on and improve but for a 19 year old who is still eligible to play junior you can see him developing, maturing and getting more comfortable every week. I'm not sure I can remember us having a 19 year old with his character, maturity, skill set and consistency. And his character and work ethic and energy have had such a positive effect on those around him.

I don't think there's anyone in the league who would take Nail Yakupov over Galchenyuk today. I think Nail is a -14 the last I looked and is nowhere near to the complete player at this point that Alex is. Granted he is with a team that is struggling in many areas.

It is a tribute to our drafting once again that we hit a home run by selecting Alex Galchenyuk. And we have years ahead of us to watch them grow as we continue to add to a strong young core that we have. Exciting and fun years ahead.

Had he not had the injury to his knee in his draft year, it's quite possible he would have been ranked #1 OA. Montreal took something of a chance considering the injury. Though sometimes when you swing for the fences, you send it into the bay.

• Upvote 1

Agreed! I'm gonna enjoy watching Galchenyuk razzle and dazzle us for the next Decade...if not more!

NO doubt about it, he's the best pick of that draft!

I think Yakupov needs better direction, the Oilers are nothing but a circus. Desharnes, Bouleau (spelled wrong I know) and a 1st to the Oilers for Yakupov.

From what I've read and heard, the Oilers have received a couple offers for Yakupov and all of them are too low for them. They also recognize that Yakupov is a slow starter.

There's a lot of pressure on Detroit right now to get younger, especially after allowing a guy like Brunner to walk, and they have a seriously good goalie prospect in Mrazek that would go the other way. I think if Yakupov goes, a goalie and a defenceman go the other way.

I think it's a bit early to give up on Yakupov the way some people are doing. But yes, Galchenyuk is impressive.

I wasn't suggesting anyone give up on Yakupov, just pointing out how well Galchenyuk is doing in comparison.

I wasn't suggesting anyone give up on Yakupov, just pointing out how well Galchenyuk is doing in comparison.

Last I checked he's getting third line minutes in the biggest trash fire (except my might Panthers) in the NHL. It's not entirely his fault. He might do well, but I don't think it will be in Edmonton. They would be well advised to trade him and their first for someone like Oliver Ekman Larsson. That lottery pick is going to bring then another undersized, flashy kid.

Last I checked he's getting third line minutes in the biggest trash fire (except my might Panthers) in the NHL. It's not entirely his fault. He might do well, but I don't think it will be in Edmonton. They would be well advised to trade him and their first for someone like Oliver Ekman Larsson. That lottery pick is going to bring then another undersized, flashy kid.

Ekblad and Nurse may be a good pairing.

And Oil will also have some big forwards in, Sam Reinhart (seems destined for Buf/Fla) , Nick Richie, Michael Dal Colle or Leon Draisaitl to pick from next spring.

So if Oil end up behind Buff-Fla-Calgary and Philly, they will still have a great looking, good sized kid as an option.

And just because AG has blown away Yaakupov over 15-20 games, dosent mean he will be better down the road, but as someone said he is developing very nicely.

And the kid is on a 64 point pace, which is better than expected or maybe as good as most could of hoped for, for sure?

Bournival and Pirri (Hawks) are making the most of rookies with least amount of icetime (similar to AG and BG last year).

Still a long season left, who knows if Bournival can keep up pace and challenge for Calder?

I know Pierre McGuire has already guaranteed Jones-MacKinnon are a lock to win it, but will see how it plays out.

Bournival and Pirri (Hawks) are making the most of rookies with least amount of icetime (similar to AG and BG last year).

Still a long season left, who knows if Bournival can keep up pace and challenge for Calder?

I know Pierre McGuire has already guaranteed Jones-MacKinnon are a lock to win it, but will see how it plays out.

Seth Jones is so overrated I'm calling him "Drew Doughty." He gets a point every three games and plays some big minutes. Who cares?

Seth Jones is so overrated I'm calling him "Drew Doughty." He gets a point every three games and plays some big minutes. Who cares?

How can a rookie who's doing good for a ROOKIE be overrated already ?!?!?!?!?!

How can a rookie who's doing good for a ROOKIE be overrated already ?!?!?!?!?!

When an "expert" like McGuire declares him (or Nate) rookie of year, 10 games into season.

But, I would agree Jones is a super looking rookie and he or MacKinnon are good picks to win award. But me or a monkey would pick LeBron James-Kevin Durant to win MVP award and likely be correct, so McGuire still seems a questionable "expert" and very annoying to listen to (thank god TSN got rid of him).