Emelin cleared to play

Meller93

Emelin is expected to return by next weekend!

A bit of rust is definitely expected, but I'm excited to see him play. Any thoughts on what kind of impact he'll have on the blueline?

When he was healthy he was top two on the team for even strength minutes. Having him out there cuts down on Cube's minutes which can only be a good thing.

I think he'll need a while to round into form. Expect a lot of hand-wringing when his play drops off after his first couple of games back ("is he damaged goods??" "Horrible contract Bergevin!!" etc., etc.), followed by a period of quiet improvement that nobody notices.

Emelin is a top-4 defender. Any time you add that to your roster, it's a big impact. Add to that the fact that he is our top physical d-man and he brings disproportionate value to our roster. Great to have him back.

JMMR mentioned in another thread that the Habs should run with 7 D for a while until Emelin gets his legs back and I completely agree.

Great news that he's coming back!

Yeah, I expect a lengthy transition period for Emelin. Like at least 3-4 weeks where he doesn't look very good, but hopefully he'll be sheltered.

I can't wait for his first big hit.

For some reason I don't have any hunches on how long he'll take to get back on track. I expect a few slow games of course but he could surprise us

The thing is, I'd expect Emelin to be inconsistent even without his injury. He's only played 100 NHL games. Last season we tend to remember the good parts, but he struggled at times, and Markov made him look better than he would have otherwise.

They said this weekend. Hopefully it is just for the Saturday game and not the Friday. No need to start the season on back to back games. Glad to see him back though. Wonder who he is paired with when he is back to 100%?

They said this weekend. Hopefully it is just for the Saturday game and not the Friday. No need to start the season on back to back games. Glad to see him back though. Wonder who he is paired with when he is back to 100%?

Therrien will probably slot him into the 3rd pairing to limit his ice time at the beginning. Depending on how "rusty" he is, he'll likely end up with Markov as a partner.

Yea that's what I meant to say when I started the thread, just said the wrong word.

Against the rangers maybe?