Los Angeles vs. Montreal | December 10th, 2013 | 1900 EST

lazy26

that was embarrassing. Not sure why Murray wouldn't have been in a lineup against a big, physical team.

What hurt us (aside from lousy non-calls from the refs), was a lack of finish and lack of net pressure when we were pressing in the first.

Didn't you get the memo? The plan is that we're like the Blackhawks, but without a Toews/Kane/Sharp type in the lineup.

Pacioretty is a Sharp type, and we're hoping that Galchenyuk can be a Toews/Kane type. We still need another top-line forward though.

The kings killed us, and showed us how its done with playoff style hockey.

At the same time though we didnt really get any bounces, (not that we should count on them) the first easily could have finished 1-1

Looked like the guys were expecting it to come a little easier given their hot streak of late. Im sure if we played the Kings again on Saturday we would put forth a much better effort.

On a positive note we got a good lesson on where we need to get to.

Pacioretty is a Sharp type, and we're hoping that Galchenyuk can be a Toews/Kane type. We still need another top-line forward though.

IMO MaxPac will turn out to be better than Sharp - I'd take MaxPac over Sharp.

Galchenyuk is as close as we'll get to a Toews (70 to 75 point guy). We may not have Kane, but we've got Galleghar - I don't see a similar player on the Hawks. We've got Pleks and Eller as solid centres. On D I'll take Markov/Subban over Keith/Seabrook and Emelin is a great #4. White and Prust are great blood and guts players.

Next year, drop Gionta, dump DD and Bouillon. I'd also like to drop Bourque. If we simply drop those 4 and if at least one of our kids on Defense steps up and if we add a finisher, we may finally be a serious contender. Lot's of ifs, but this team has me excited.

If we had that goal scorer that may have gotten us up by 2 goals in the first. We probably win this game. Just no finish in the first. After the second goal it was kind of pointless LA played their game, got the bounces and had the ref's helping them. 2 goals should have not counted due to Goaltender interference. Not crying not complaining it could have gone a different way pretty easily, so write it offf and get to the next test. You can't win them all nor should you expect too.

Guest Stogey24

These games happen every once and awhile. We're a better team than we led on last night. I do think we need a James Neal type player on this roster. A certified goal scorer besides Pac.

I watched the first and up to the second period where Galchenyuk got a penalty that never should have happened, after two suspect goals.

Even if both goals were suspect, the defence was absolutely pathetic. It's like the coaching staff and the team didn't do their homework at all on how Los Angeles plays. The defence was handling them like they were handling the Islanders. The Kings were just walking right into Price. I haven't seen that from this team since 2011-2012.

Bad calls combined with bad play and bad coaching made it a game I just couldn't stomach. Especially since people will point to it as an example the team isn't good enough. I'm betting Montreal will look much better against St. Louis. Hopefully. This was very much a coaching breakdown game. You can't pass and carry against the Kings. They will just block you out. And they did. I'm sure the other half of the game looked the same.

At the same time, it's honestly good. After such a strong string of wins, they needed a game to remind them that they are better than the last few performances. Practice hard and hit next game like the Habs I saw against the Penguins, Leafs, Devils or Wild.

Guest Stogey24

These games happen every once and awhile. We're a better team than we led on last night. I do think we need a James Neal type player on this roster. A certified goal scorer besides Pac. As for our D, we need to try and move Gorges. I know he blocks shots and he's team player, but I don't know how many times I saw him bounce off a guy trying to lay the body on them.

So much for the argument that size don't matter.... We were crushed by the Kings, ran over....

Blackhawks we are not.....

So how could Islanders beat San Jose yesterday?

Florida also beat Wings, so crap happens.

Guest Stogey24

So much for the argument that size don't matter.... We were crushed by the Kings, ran over....

Blackhawks we are not.....

Montreal hasn't lost to the Kings since March 8, 2003, and has won 12 of 13 home meetings

Emelin with 6 hits, is getting warmed up.

Diaz was best d-man by default, he was even +/- and 3 blocked shots.

Galchenyuk with 7 shots, 2 takeaways and even +/-, cant complain about his play.

Sorry Frank, Murray seems like a better choice over Boullion for every game.

Moan & White both had solid games and did their job.

that was embarrassing. Not sure why Murray wouldn't have been in a lineup against a big, physical team.

Let me try to guess the logic. Murray played the last game against Buffalo and with Philly on the horizon, he'll likely get that game. If faced with the decision of whether to play Murray against a big non-conference opponent or a big conference opponent, I'd choose the latter. As much as some want Bouillon to never play again, he needs to stay fresh; the defence corps won't stay healthy forever which means he'll be a regular again soon enough. In hindsight, the more prudent decision may have been to play Bouillon against Buffalo and give Murray the Kings and Flyers but with Parros being a late scratch against the Sabres (a divisional opponent), they may have wanted to keep a bit of size in there.

Guest Stogey24

Emelin with 6 hits, is getting warmed up.

Diaz was best d-man by default, he was even +/- and 3 blocked shots.

Galchenyuk with 7 shots, 2 takeaways and even +/-, cant complain about his play.

Sorry Frank, Murray seems like a better choice over Boullion for every game.

Moan & White both had solid games and did their job.

Just because Diaz was even doesn't mean he was the best defender out there. This was one of his poorer efforts. He rushed his passes because he was scared to get hit and fanned on a bunch that led to turnovers. He gave White an Eller like suicide pass right up the centre of the ice. When Diaz is pressured his game goes completely out the window.

Just because Diaz was even doesn't mean he was the best defender out there. This was one of his poorer efforts. He rushed his passes because he was scared to get hit and fanned on a bunch that led to turnovers. He gave White an Eller like suicide pass right up the centre of the ice. When Diaz is pressured his game goes completely out the window.

Diaz is what he is, which is a soft Gorges. He has no offense whatsoever anymore aside from a good outlet pass. Which brings me to Gorges, I've had enough of watching this guy over the years. He's a small shut down defenseman, and everytime he gets the puck at the point, he throws it past the net off the boards. No thrills with Josh Gorges. I really hope he doesn't get named Captain, when and if Gionta leaves next year.

Guest Stogey24

Diaz is what he is, which is a soft Gorges. He has no offense whatsoever anymore aside from a good outlet pass. Which brings me to Gorges, I've had enough of watching this guy over the years. He's a small shut down defenseman, and everytime he gets the puck at the point, he throws it past the net off the boards. No thrills with Josh Gorges. I really hope he doesn't get named Captain, when and if Gionta leaves next year.

Yeah, I feel the same way about Gorges. Does anyone want him though?

I don't have a problem with either Diaz or Gorges. Either one of them make a good 5th defense/ depth guy. The issue becomes their use. Neither one of them should be playing big minutes as a 3rd 4th defenseman. My problem from the beginning of the year has been the use of these two. Emelin has aleviated this a bit, but over the last 3 or 4 games, we have seen a real trend of our defenders being hemmed into the zone, losing puck battles and being outmuscled. Markov Diaz Gorges Boullion are certainly not physical forces along the boards these days. They are all smallish and play a puck first game. I believe this is being pushed by the coaches as our system though. First on puck, and never commit to a hit unless it is there. using players to their strengths and not their weakness. Breaking the cycle in our zone is a weakness. Replacing Gorges or Diaz with a legitimate #4 defenseman with size and speed would really improve and balance this team on the back end, but good luck fitting that guy into the cap. Especially this year.

I'm rather in agreement with my fellow BCer above. I've said several times that this team has 3 top-4 defencemen. The issue with Gorges isn't that he stinks, it's his usage in the top 4. He has always been controversial in that role and would surely be a terrific #5 on a really strong team.. We're lucky that our top-2 are among the very best in all of hockey, but ideally we'd have a Dan Hamhuis-type to slot in there. I'm not saying it's easy, but that's what we'd need to win 16 playoff games IMHO.

Makes perfect sense that Gorges is really a #5, and maybe we just expect to much from him in a top 4 role, but Diaz certainly isn't worth keeping over Gorges, in any role. When pressured Diaz in a mess, Gorges has handled big minutes and pressure and has been a leader for us for a long time now, and IF we could slide him to the #5 slot, and fill his spot on the top 4 with a Hamhuis type, well that would be just grand....I would like to see Gorges playing on the 3rd pairing with Murray....and a big strong guy in the top 4..... Does PK and Markov stay together forever? That makes some flexibility up front having those two, both offensive minded, but we need another minute eater/shutdown guy that makes defense his specialty, that has speed enough to move the puck well, and size enough to get the puck.

Maybe Tinordi can be a top 4 near playoff time??? Will he be improved enough to fill that role late this year? Probably not, but one can hope.....

We aren't going to win 16 playoff games this year without some size up front, so I'd like to see our defense take form for next year, late in this year......still not legitimate contenders are we?

Makes perfect sense that Gorges is really a #5, and maybe we just expect to much from him in a top 4 role, but Diaz certainly isn't worth keeping over Gorges, in any role. When pressured Diaz in a mess, Gorges has handled big minutes and pressure and has been a leader for us for a long time now, and IF we could slide him to the #5 slot, and fill his spot on the top 4 with a Hamhuis type, well that would be just grand....I would like to see Gorges playing on the 3rd pairing with Murray....and a big strong guy in the top 4..... Does PK and Markov stay together forever? That makes some flexibility up front having those two, both offensive minded, but we need another minute eater/shutdown guy that makes defense his specialty, that has speed enough to move the puck well, and size enough to get the puck.

Maybe Tinordi can be a top 4 near playoff time??? Will he be improved enough to fill that role late this year? Probably not, but one can hope.....

We aren't going to win 16 playoff games this year without some size up front, so I'd like to see our defense take form for next year, late in this year......still not legitimate contenders are we?

Personally, I think it's nuts to expect Tinordi or Beaulieu to become top-4 NHL defencemen next season, let alone this one. Most of the time young players really do need time to find their feet and grow into their potential.

As for this year, I'm inclined to agree that a FW with both size and skill (we can dream, can't we?) would be a bigger priority than another defenceman. You can kind of imagine us going deep with this defence corps provided everyone stays healthy - which is itself a long shot - but I remain pretty skeptical that a forward core that includes Desharnais and Bourque as key contributors is Cup-worthy. Add another top-4 FW and another top-4 defenceman, then maybe we're in the mix.