Habs 2014

Pat Hickey, of whose analytical skills I don't think much, but who seems to be tolerably connected, offers an interesting state of the union address here:

http://www.faceoff.com/sports/hockey/montreal-canadiens/Hickey+Hockey+Changes+coming+Canadiens+2014/9328421/story.html

Among other things, he is certain that Patches will not be traded, that Gionta, Honey Boo Boo and Murray will all be gone at year's end, that Leblanc is nearly toast, that the Habs will look to add a "beefy" winger at the deadline and to sign a FW with size as a UFA.

He also raises the horrific spectre of fans outside Quebec being able to watch only 22 games.

Discuss?

Pat Hickey, of whose analytical skills I don't think much, but who seems to be tolerably connected, offers an interesting state of the union address here:

http://www.faceoff.com/sports/hockey/montreal-canadiens/Hickey+Hockey+Changes+coming+Canadiens+2014/9328421/story.html

Among other things, he is certain that Patches will not be traded, that Gionta, Honey Boo Boo and Murray will all be gone at year's end, that Leblanc is nearly toast, that the Habs will look to add a "beefy" winger at the deadline and to sign a FW with size as a UFA.

He also raises the horrific spectre of fans outside Quebec being able to watch only 22 games.

Discuss?

I don't know if playing two of the kids, and getting rid of Diaz helps out the defense. If anything , it could make the defense worse, but these guys need to start somewhere.

He is right about the trades MB wants to build through the draft, but he raises an excellent point that all of our forward prospects, except the struggling McCarron are smallish wingers. I don't agree with him about the acquisition of a bigger winger in the off season unless it's via trade, there isn't much else out there for size on the right wing except Vrbata.

None of this is shocking, or even mildly surprising. While I have been an advocate of NOT trading him this season, Gionta is the obvious candidate to go so that we can bulk up in the top six. My reluctance to see him traded probably stems partially from tradition--contenders do NOT trade their captain-- but more from the bad taste that still lingers from the trades (in no particular order) of Damphouse, Keane, Turgeon and Carbo....and from the disappointment of Koivu not being re-signed. That said, I will be happy if he goes for more consistent offense with some size.

Also, Cube and Murray were signed to one year deals for a reason-- in order to give our young D prospects another season to develop in Hamilton. However, I would not be surprised to see Murray signed for another year if Diaz walks as a UFA or the youngsters are adjudged to be not quite ready-- but is Drewskie UFA at the end of this season or is he signed for another year?

Similarly, it is no surprise the MB is looking to add a winger with size and scoring touch--which NHL team isn't?

I can only hope that MB can sign PK and Markov to reasonable deals....with the much less talented Dion Phaneuf rumored to be getting 7x7 from the useless and clueless Leafs.

Yeah PMAC, that's maybe going to be bad for trying to sign both Markov and Subban to reasonable contracts, if Phanuef is getting that kind of money what are these guys worth on the open market?

Agree that if we are to add a gritty winger with size and some skill, it's going to have to be a trade where we give up something good to get it, I will admit that Diaz has looked good lately, does he constitute something good on a return? Can we be competitive with the 3 rookies from the Dogs on the back end next season? True in my mind that they can't be a whole lot worse than Cube, Murray, and even Diaz over a full season, and what I saw of Drewiske I can't see him being any better than Tinordi, Beaulieu or Pateryn. I'd rather let the veterans like Plek, Patch, Markov show the young the ropes, than trade them for what we hope will develop into good players.

This new post lock out era is definitely going to make an interesting trade deadline, where we may indeed see some "hockey deals" between teams looking to trade talent for talent to get the chemistry/personnel right for their teams. I just hope someone sees Bourque, Gionta, Diaz, Bouilion and Murray as pieces that may help them, so we can get a penny for them....... like returning your empty pop bottles for a nickel each......