Habs going to the Olympics

dlbalr

I am talking about the analyst lists... It is a remote possibility that he was higher on Team Canada's order.

Personally... I put him above weber. If anyone should be a PP only guy it's Weber. I would go with 7 D and use Weber on the PP, with PK getting a more regular shift.

Are we talking about Shea Weber or Yannick Weber?

Nash over a lot of guys.

Seguin, Marty, Claude,

I guess Nash's Canada experience won out for him again. So there is a benefit to missing the playoffs all those years...

As mentioned, it's a hell of a roster. I'm a little disappointed for a couple ommissions like St-Louis and Giroux, but guys like Sharp and Carter are still great players. It'll be a juggernaut, and with solid goal-tending it should be in the gold-medal game.

I feel really badly for St. Louis. All this guy has done for 20 years is prove every doubter wrong, but that wasn't enough for the doubters on Team Canada. Still, you can't argue that it wasn't a principled decision, since obviously Yzerman would have desperately wanted to include him.

You can quibble over this pick or that, and Nash over Giroulx or even Neal could come back to haunt us, but it really is a situation where no matter what you did, great players were going to be left off. They avoided the big howler of excluding PK, which was may main concern.

I think Hamhuis was a devious little pick. He is a fine, understated defenceman who will likely log useful minutes on that team.

My question is: did we pick the right squad for the big ice? We have a terrible track record on the Olympic-sized surfaces, and that's why I'm ultimately not confident in our prospect for gold.

My question is: did we pick the right squad for the big ice? We have a terrible track record on the Olympic-sized surfaces, and that's why I'm ultimately not confident in our prospect for gold.

It looks like a fast team, and slower guys like Getzlaf, Perry and Bergeron were pretty much locks already. (I'd take them over Jagr and Nedved, incidentally)

You're right about St-Louis, poor guy. You could tell how much it meant to him last time, and I and many others thought that was his last shot, but he just kept plugging away, winning scoring titles. He must be gutted.

European players have an advantage because they grew up playing on the big ice, but on paper Canada should make that up in skill. Players like Emelin, Belov and Kulemin made the Russian team that probably wouldn't get a sniff with the Swedes and Americans, much less us.

Comparing this team to 2006's, there's definitely an emphasis on speed (and no egregious legacy admissions). If we fail, it won't be for the same reasons, and I doubt we'll see another pitiful showing. If this team can gel and the coaching staff has some good plans in place, we'll look good.

As long as the goaltending doesn't lose it on us, I like our chances.

I hope they split a few games between Price and Luongo and not just pick one and ride him. If we need to change goalies in the medal round I don't want the other guy completely cold.

As long as the goaltending doesn't lose it on us, I like our chances.

I hope they split a few games between Price and Luongo and not just pick one and ride him. If we need to change goalies in the medal round I don't want the other guy completely cold.

I think they should start with Luongo and after the odor dissipates they can go to Carey for the rest of the way to the gold. :)

I think they should start with Luongo and after the odor dissipates they can go to Carey for the rest of the way to the gold. :)

Maybe niether one even plays, there are 3 goalies to pick from?

Shea Weber... Minus 13 this season, a 27 pt differential with PK.

Yeah, he's not doing so hot this year. It helps when your partner is a Norris candidate, and your goalie is in the Vezina conversation year after year. He has neither this season. I haven't watched him enough to see what's going on with him.

I like Sweeden for gold. Solid goaltending, solid defense, great centers and excellent leadership, and they all grew up on big ice. Imo, Ekman-Larsson and Karlsson are the best pairing in the entire tournament.

Plus, you cannot deny the Supreme Excellence of Peter Popovic behind the bench.

• Upvote 1

there are? Where did you hear that? To me there can be only one. :)

Well, if Price is going I guess he might as well play. I think the exhibition games and first 2 'real' games are cakewalks (Norway and some other chump), so likely 2 goalies will split a few games and with Luongo injured (I know still lots of time till then but), Smith maybe has a shot?

Or could be starter is already nailed down?

Guest Stogey24

TSN down plays Subban so badly. I think it was Jeff O'Neil(huge plug) said, we have some solid defence on team Canada this year, that opens up an opportunity for Drew Doughty to show case his offensive ability.

I just can't wrap my head around how Subban isn't notched into top pairing. When Subban played for Bellville their arena used an Olympic size rink. He knows how to use the ice to his advantage.

Yeah, he's not doing so hot this year. It helps when your partner is a Norris candidate, and your goalie is in the Vezina conversation year after year. He has neither this season. I haven't watched him enough to see what's going on with him.

I like Sweeden for gold. Solid goaltending, solid defense, great centers and excellent leadership, and they all grew up on big ice. Imo, Ekman-Larsson and Karlsson are the best pairing in the entire tournament.

Plus, you cannot deny the Supreme Excellence of Peter Popovic behind the bench.

+1 reputation for the Supreme Excellence of Peter Popovic

I just can't wrap my head around how Subban isn't notched into top pairing. When Subban played for Bellville their arena used an Olympic size rink. He knows how to use the ice to his advantage.

You can play 22 players so that's 13 forwards and 7 defencemen with 2 goalies. Keith - Weber will probably play as PP1 because Weber leads defence in PP goals and Keith is the assist king for defencemen right now. After that someone might have to get out of position because Subban, Pietrangelo and Doughty are all better for the PP than Vlasic or JayBo. Maybe play a forward there because why not. Even then, it's still Subban on the PP2 that makes the most sense.

TSN down plays Subban so badly. I think it was Jeff O'Neil(huge plug) said, we have some solid defence on team Canada this year, that opens up an opportunity for Drew Doughty to show case his offensive ability.

No one can argue with Keith, he is just a super all-round d-man (and plays safe even under pressure) and Weber is a solid big strong defensive d-man with a huge shot (and his shot through the net in last Olympics wasn't likely forgotten by mgmt).

Bowmiester-Pietroangelo are a super shut-down pairing, etc.

But line-ups on paper are just that and their play will dictate who play how much and with whom. I wouldn't get too worked up over media placements and Subban played a bit role in his 1st world juniors also and his skills still stood out.

Weber is a solid big strong defensive d-man with a huge shot

Really bugs me to hear the so-called experts say that Weber is a solid d-man when he's a whopping -12 this season yet the defensively risky Subban is a +14...

Really bugs me to hear the so-called experts say that Weber is a solid d-man when he's a whopping -12 this season yet the defensively risky Subban is a +14...

It's because these are "hockey people" and they go so much on past reputation rather then stats and facts.

It's because these are "hockey people" and they go so much on past reputation rather then stats and facts.

Stats I think are facts.

But, if you want to cherry pick 1 stat and say, 'look see, he isn't as good as Subban' then what can I say?

Can you name the top 4 d-men on Nashville or any besides a 19 year old rookie named Jones? Weber aint exactly working with a super supporting cast this year.

Even Montreal has more goals than Nashville.

Stats I think are facts.

But, if you want to cherry pick 1 stat and say, 'look see, he isn't as good as Subban' then what can I say?

Can you name the top 4 d-men on Nashville or any besides a 19 year old rookie named Jones? Weber aint exactly working with a super supporting cast this year.

Even Montreal has more goals than Nashville.

I am not picking one stat. He doesn't look better then PK on any stat except he has a few more power play goals.

My point is, why would PK be considered so bad defensively, while Weber gets a free pass. I did watch a few games and weber made some brutal turnovers and was lost a bit. Didn't look to me like a lock for the number one pairing. The biggest thing we always hear about Weber is how much he plays. Well, if they had a better back end, maybe he wouldn't need to play so much. As it is, we don't need anyone to play that much for team Canada.

What Weber has is a good shot, hence he should be on the PP. PK generates more offence and has been better defensively the past two years.

brobin has a point that Weber is having a weak year, but it'd be like calling Lundqvist not a superior goalie because he's having an off year right now. Or all of the people who were doubting Price again this year. There's more evidence of otherwise.

That said I think history is starting to shift to realizing the American (Ryan Suter) was the strongest of the pair and was the one making Weber look better than he was.

If I have to pick Weber or Subban, I'm picking Subban. His play is based on him. Period.

just saw a tweet by George Parros:

"Still waiting for Chris Chelios to announce the roster for the Greek Olympic Team"

pretty funny stuff, he probably won't make that team either.