PK under fire for being PK

Commandant

Sometimes it seems that P.K. Subban takes more flack just because of the fact he is P.K. Subban, than other players would take in the same situation.

Would a Crosby or Karlsson or Ovechkin be criticized for celebrating scoring an OT winner.... a celebration that was all about the logo on the front of his jersey, not the name on the back.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/01/18/p-k-subban-under-fire-for-being-p-k-subban/

• Upvote 1

I loved it! For me personally, it was like I was out there with him. I could only imagine how it feels to be in a game where you go from winning by three goals to allowing your opponent to score four unanswered. All the while, they boo you every time you touch the puck. Yes.. I'm am absolutely thrilled he did it. I agree that bringing the focus to the Habs logo and not his own nameplate makes it ok.

Why do so many feel these guys should play without any emotion? Emotion is being sucked from the sport. Not just in the celebration aspect, but also in the physicallity. If there is no emotion between two teams it makes for a boring game. Im not saying bench clearing brawls, but some face washing after the whistle makes things a little more interesting in my opinion.

On a side note... Don't think Ottawa is going to forget either...can you say emotion :)

I loved the fact that PK was celebrating the goal and the jersey. I also loved Pat Hickey's comment about the Ottawa goalie Anderson complaining that the celebration was " unnecessary" : it would have been unnecessary if he had stopped the puck.

I also liked PK's response "I don't care".

Another tempest in a teapot stirred by tsn

If every time I touched the puck in an opposing team's arena I got booed, you better believe I am going to show some emotion if I score the OT winner. I would have went with the DX crotch chop to the fans instead, but a simple jersey tug is suffice.

I loved the celebration. As I said then: HAB FOR LIFE.

I think we could take a cue from PK on the nay-sayers: just don't care. There will always be idiots harping on these sorts of things, and PK's like a light that attracts bugs; but we really don't have to give a damn. The Norris trophy voting committee didn't care, Hockey Canada didn't care, so it could very well be that these morons are as marginalized as they deserve to be, or close to it.

PK's celebration was awesome! What's wrong with emotion? It was a big goal, and after being booed all night I say what's good for the goose.....

Brain dead Toronto media makes a controversy out of nothing, anything against the Habs is their directive..... Loved Neech's post......

It's part of a double-standard that PK has faced every since the beginning. Benoit Brunet had some good remarks about this on RDS last night, saying that people seem to have a lot of trouble understanding that PK Subban is a superstar in this league, and that no one says boo when guys like Ovechkin and Kane go cowabunga with goal celebrations. Brunet stopped short of saying that the difference boils down to skin colour. I wouldn't. Another difference is that he's not a Leaf or Bruin (the two teams favoured by the CBC commentariat); when guys on those teams do things that are even worse (e.g., Brad Marchand's flipping the bird to the crowd after scoring the 4th goal in Game 7 against the Canucks) they're hailed as good Canadian heroes.

I LOVE the fact the opposing rinks are starting to boo PK again. The OT goal against Ottawa was partly a giant "FU" to the crowd and all the sweeter for that :lol: I just hope that Habs management FINALLY decides to stand by Subban instead of taking him aside, as they've done before, and urging him to act like a soulless automaton.

PK and the Habs against the world: I can handle that. It's the kind of thing that, properly channeled, only makes a team stronger.

If every time I touched the puck in an opposing team's arena I got booed, you better believe I am going to show some emotion if I score the OT winner. I would have went with the DX crotch chop to the fans instead, but a simple jersey tug is suffice.

Thing is he was celebrating with the habs fans in the building because most sens fans had left to beat traffic.

A lot of people forget although he is booed by 1/2 the crowd it's still close to a home game for the habs,

Who rolls their eyes? I love it when they boo Subban. It means he drives them crazy, and I guarantee you that the booing amps Subban up even more. Let's face it, the guy's a superstar and that's all part of the fun that comes with that. Do you know how long it's been since we had a player that every other team worries about? This is awesome. Enjoy every second of the PK Subban Experience, Habs fans.

Agreed.

I have no issues of him booed in other arenas. I DO have issues how he gets ragged by the media, the hockey establishment and other players.

Who rolls their eyes? I love it when they boo Subban. It means he drives them crazy, and I guarantee you that the booing amps Subban up even more. Let's face it, the guy's a superstar and that's all part of the fun that comes with that. Do you know how long it's been since we had a player that every other team worries about? This is awesome. Enjoy every second of the PK Subban Experience, Habs fans.

I especially loved Subban's reaction to Anderson's comments. "I don't care!"

Great attitude. Keep up the Good Work P.K.! At least you know Habsfans around the world appreciate you!

Hopefully the start of contract negotiations but you think they would schedule that at a time that did not interfere with practice.

well my understanding is that he (at his request) was meeting with MB, which would preclude contract negotiations, and indicates he had something he wanted to tell MB. I am still nervous. :)