Is it time to trade Markov?

Psycing

Keeping a proven player who is still one of the premier point men in the game instead of trading for future maybes is poor asset management? Throw in the fact that this team is fighting for home ice advantage going into the playoffs...

You really must go back and read previous posts. This has been covered repeatedly. But to answer yes keeping Markov untill he retires is poor asset management. It may be a nice thought and give you that cuddley feeling, but it aint gonna win no cups.

He could of left as a UFA twice for more money

Loyalty 2-way street eh!

He sat at home for most of 2 or 3 years cashing big cheques watching soap operas. He should be financially set for life, if semi-smart.

You really must go back and read previous posts. This has been covered repeatedly. But to answer yes keeping Markov untill he retires is poor asset management. It may be a nice thought and give you that cuddley feeling, but it aint gonna win no cups.

Well if you say it is poor asset management, then it must be. End of thread

Loyalty 2-way street eh!

He sat at home for most of 2 or 3 years cashing big cheques watching soap operas. He should be financially set for life, if semi-smart.

Yeah, he should have totally played hockey injured. That would have been the loyal thing to do.

Machine, you missed the part where habs rule said that we have to trade Markov and if we don't it is stupid. According to him we will win the cup in 3 years if we trade him. No need to discuss.

Guest Stogey24

I agree unless he signs for less than 4 mill.

Lovett, you may be right. My own assumption was that, were we to trade Markov, we would try to add a top-4 defenceman as a UFA (or via trade) or else count on Diaz and Beaulieu to sort of form a tag-team replacing The General's PP contributions. Obviously this wouldn't have been ideal for next season, but the thought was that Markov would bring back a huge return that could really boost this organization's chances of winning a Cup in the medium to longer term. With Diaz out, we'd now be utterly dependent on the UFA option next season, which is very unwise. I think now we're stuck with Markov.

Machine, you missed the part where habs rule said that we have to trade Markov and if we don't it is stupid. According to him we will win the cup in 3 years if we trade him. No need to discuss.

You really must go back and read previous posts because you obviously have no idea what I said. Learn to read might be helpful.

You really must go back and read previous posts because you obviously have no idea what I said. Learn to read might be helpful.

And you obviously have no idea what an open discussion is and how to understand that people have different opinions than you.

• 2 weeks later...

The Around the Boards article is up including posts from this thread and from some of the writers: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3324

Honestly hope that readers of the article come join this thread - it was a fun one to read through with a lot of solid discussion on this hot topic.

Here's hoping Markov sticks around to raise a Cup with the Habs before he retires. It wouldn't be as satisfying as Koivu doing it, but a good consolation prize.

The Around the Boards article is up including posts from this thread and from some of the writers: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3324

Honestly hope that readers of the article come join this thread - it was a fun one to read through with a lot of solid discussion on this hot topic.

Here's hoping Markov sticks around to raise a Cup with the Habs before he retires. It wouldn't be as satisfying as Koivu doing it, but a good consolation prize.

Sentimentality aside, likely adding a late 1st round pick + bit more for Markov must be tempting option for Bergevin.

2 weeks or less to find out a bit more about Bergevins' mgmt. style and take on his current roster.

Montreal sits top 10 in the league, fourth in their conference, third in their division and one point from second in their division.

But we should trade our second best defenceman just because he's going to be a UFA? Just because someone is offering a first round pick and a prospect?

Montreal sits top 10 in the league, fourth in their conference, third in their division and one point from second in their division.

But we should trade our second best defenceman just because he's going to be a UFA? Just because someone is offering a first round pick and a prospect?

Sure, why not?

Don't you know eastern teams suck, Habs aint got a hope to contend, Therrien is bad coach and Bergevin hasn't made a big trade, which is the measure of good GMing and the smurf hobbits...don't forget about them.

Sure, why not?

Don't you know eastern teams suck, Habs aint got a hope to contend, Therrien is bad coach and Bergevin hasn't made a big trade, which is the measure of good GMing and the smurf hobbits...don't forget about them.

Imagine the 70s Habs today.

"I don't care how good Roadrunner is, we can't have a midget in the top six!"

Well that is certainly taking a complex situation and making it simple. But it isn't that simple. There are a lot more factors to consider. However yes we should trade a declining asset for the right return. It isn't just because he is a ufa, there is the 35 years of age factor and the multiple knee operation factors. Then of course there is the future to consider. See it just isn't quite that simple or it would not have generated all the hub bub that it has.

It's as simple as whatever the return would be. Iginla didn't get too much at the deadline last year. We are not Calgary, we do not need to unload vets to rebuild.

:rofl: OK I simply can't ignore this. The flames got 2 prospects and a 1st round pick so we really don't know what they got, also the reason they got so little was because they waited too long to trade him, they should have traded him before he was 36 years old. Heres a hint Markov is 35, and it is why I say if we are goiing to get anything for him NOW would be the time. I don't think that example helps your (what ever it is) cause. If you don't trade vets to rebuild exactly what do you trade? Prospects? Not such a good plan, that was also the flames problem. As well as the leafs etc. I now will return to my normal attitude of ignoring this individuals ramblings. But that was a good laugh.

It's as simple as whatever the return would be. Iginla didn't get too much at the deadline last year. We are not Calgary, we do not need to unload vets to rebuild.

No, don't need to and highly unlikely he will be moved.

Iginla might not of got much, but he wasn't a puck moving d-man and even Murray got 2 2nd round picks.

But how do the young d-prospects rate, can you have Beaulieu and Pateryn in the top six and compete in playoffs? Does Bergevin have a younger top-4 RH d-man already lined up in a 2nd deal (initials DB #33) which would make Markov expendable?

Or should loyalty and sentimentality factor in and he also may be a good ol vet leader in dressing room for 3 more years?

Trading him away to get some assets and then trading equivalent assets to get a #2 defencemen, isn't exactly good asset management.

I came into this thread kind of along the lines of this mentality as well as ill Will's. I'm not going to say I would never trade Markov but it more or less would depend on the return. Personally, I wouldn't trade him for draft picks because I think he's more valuable than a potential mid first round pick. If he were involved in a package or even one for one on a return that would help the club immediately, then I'd be interested in looking into it. We're all going to have our difference in opinion, but I don't like the thought of trading Markov at all. It's easy to look at only either his negatives or his positives. Sure he's lost a step... so what? He's still great in a lot of areas as well and those who think Beaulieu could be his immediate replacement are gravely mistaken.

:rofl: OK I simply can't ignore this. The flames got 2 prospects and a 1st round pick so we really don't know what they got, also the reason they got so little was because they waited too long to trade him, they should have traded him before he was 36 years old. Heres a hint Markov is 35, and it is why I say if we are goiing to get anything for him NOW would be the time. I don't think that example helps your (what ever it is) cause. If you don't trade vets to rebuild exactly what do you trade? Prospects? Not such a good plan, that was also the flames problem. As well as the leafs etc. I now will return to my normal attitude of ignoring this individuals ramblings. But that was a good laugh.

You can insert your little laughing emoticons all you want but Markov isn't going anywhere. The General Manager of the the greatest hockey franchise in history will decide that it is for the betterment of the hockey team NOT to trade him. I'm sorry to inform you that you are not smarter than him. You do not know how to run a hockey team better than him. You do not know hockey more than he does. You do not have a highly qualified group of professionals who work for you. You are one guy out of millions on the internet voicing his opinion. I am going to side with Bergevin on this one and we'll see who is laughing.

• Upvote 1