Is it time to trade Markov?

Psycing

Yeah, that's a pretty convincing case. I will make two points to qualify it:

1. We don't have to replace Markov with a comparable defender; any top-4 defenceman would allow us to run a "platoon" defence corps, tiding us over for a couple of years until Beaulieu is ready to eat serious NHL minutes. Meanwhile, we'd have added a significant top-6 or top-4, nearly NHL-ready prospect to our system (this being the acceptable return on Markov);

2. I'm heartened by the analysis that we have nearly completed the "core" of a contender within 3 years. But I still think that is questionable, given that this team has almost no top-6 wingers. And even if this analysis is correct, we're looking at arriving as contenders by the time Markov is 38. But just "being a contender" does not mean winning a Cup. If we see Year Three as the "end point," then keep Markov; if we see Year Three as just the beginning of an extended period of being perennial contenders, then we see Markov as a transitional figure unlikely to be integral to a future Cup. In which case, we become more likely to consider dealing him for a prospect who WOULD become integral to that future.

All that said, I like this piece and it's convincing enough that I'm not going to be upset if we don't deal Markov.

I concur.

An update on the contract talks, courtesy of Pierre LeBrun:

It’s clear that term is an issue given that Markov is 35 and any new deal would count against the cap regardless of whether he plays through it or not.

There were reports this past week that offers had recently been exchanged. It’s believed the Habs offered a one-year deal and that Markov’s camp opened at four years. My guess is Montreal might be willing to go to two years. Maybe. But certainly not any past that.

"I can’t say much, we agreed not to say much, but talks are ongoing and Andrei wants to stay in Montreal," Berezin told ESPN.com Friday. "We’ll see where it goes. He’s played 13 seasons with Montreal. He wants to finish his career in Montreal."

The article also has a blurb about how Sergei Berezin came to be Markov's agent...and how he's technically not a full-fledged agent yet. http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nhl&id=29339&src=desktop

Hopefully Berezin is as good an agent as he was a player. If so, expect to see Markov sign a 1-year deal for the league minimum ;)

"Is it against NHL rules for Andrei Markov to play for Pringles?"

"The chips?"

"Yes."

"Expired or fresh?"

"Hmmm... fresh."

"Yes."

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that's a pretty convincing case. I will make two points to qualify it:

1. We don't have to replace Markov with a comparable defender; any top-4 defenceman would allow us to run a "platoon" defence corps, tiding us over for a couple of years until Beaulieu is ready to eat serious NHL minutes. Meanwhile, we'd have added a significant top-6 or top-4, nearly NHL-ready prospect to our system (this being the acceptable return on Markov);

2. I'm heartened by the analysis that we have nearly completed the "core" of a contender within 3 years. But I still think that is questionable, given that this team has almost no top-6 wingers. And even if this analysis is correct, we're looking at arriving as contenders by the time Markov is 38. But just "being a contender" does not mean winning a Cup. If we see Year Three as the "end point," then keep Markov; if we see Year Three as just the beginning of an extended period of being perennial contenders, then we see Markov as a transitional figure unlikely to be integral to a future Cup. In which case, we become more likely to consider dealing him for a prospect who WOULD become integral to that future.

All that said, I like this piece and it's convincing enough that I'm not going to be upset if we don't deal Markov.

Just to be clear, I didn't think the Habs were 2-3 years away from Contending.... What I meant was that even given some expected decline, a Markov on the final year of a 3 year contract can still be an important piece to a cup contender. He's not regressing that much that I believe he'll be worthless in 3 years.

As for the Habs "window"... Its not open today. But I really think it could open as early as next year. Realistically what do we need?

1) Galchenyuk takes the step forward, moves to centre ice, and becomes the number 1 guy we all want to see. He basically does what Seguin is doing in Dallas today.

2) The Habs pick up a game breaking winger (30 goals) with size.

3) One of Beaulieu and Tinordi prove capable of playing #4 minutes. The other proves capable of being a #6.

Thats really all we need to take this team from where it is today, to where it could be 1 year from now.

I think Bergevin should be able to pull off number 2, its the key priority, and its not as hard to get a winger as it would be a centre or a dman.

Just to be clear, I didn't think the Habs were 2-3 years away from Contending.... What I meant was that even given some expected decline, a Markov on the final year of a 3 year contract can still be an important piece to a cup contender. He's not regressing that much that I believe he'll be worthless in 3 years.

As for the Habs "window"... Its not open today. But I really think it could open as early as next year. Realistically what do we need?

1) Galchenyuk takes the step forward, moves to centre ice, and becomes the number 1 guy we all want to see. He basically does what Seguin is doing in Dallas today.

2) The Habs pick up a game breaking winger (30 goals) with size.

3) One of Beaulieu and Tinordi prove capable of playing #4 minutes. The other proves capable of being a #6.

Thats really all we need to take this team from where it is today, to where it could be 1 year from now.

I think Bergevin should be able to pull off number 2, its the key priority, and its not as hard to get a winger as it would be a centre or a dman.

Geez if it is that easy what the heck is stopping us? A game breaking 30 goal scorer with size, that won't be hard to come by. Let's go shopping at big wingers are us. I am joking. Do you have anyone in mind as to who this winger might be?

crunching numbers, I don't think it would be equitable to keep Markov unless he signed a 1 yr extension and accepting a role of being bumped a pairing both on regular units and PP. With Markov being so injury prone and losing steps from a substantial list of injuries suffered from the past; I, for one, hope MB sends him packing for some assets.

accepting a role of being bumped a pairing both on regular units and PP.

With Markov being so injury prone

You are talking about one of the premier power play quarter backs in the league TODAY and you want to diminish his role?

The same Markov that hasn't missed a game in two full calendar years?

I must be missing something

You are talking about one of the premier power play quarter backs in the league TODAY and you want to diminish his role?

The same Markov that hasn't missed a game in two full calendar years?

I must be missing something

It is not that he isn't have a fine year and playing 25+minutes/game, but what is the term he will accept or is looking for?

I think all would quickly offer him a 1 year deal, most would likely offer him a 2 year deal, but 3 years just seems like 1 too many.

But, if Ducks (Vatanen-young RH d-man) or some other team offers up a blue chip prospect or 'good' stuff, got to consider offers.

Markov wants to retire a Hab and doesn't want to go elsewhere. That should ultimately work in our favour in negotiations, not against us. Draw the line on a well-compensated two-year deal (while, of course, emphasizing that, if he is still going strong in two years' time, a 2-year extension will be a very realistic possibility). Sheesh.

In a way, I'm glad that MB has shown himself to be a negotiating hard-ass. It should inoculate us against lunacies like a 4-year deal for Markov at $6 mil or anything like that.

It is not that he isn't have a fine year and playing 25+minutes/game, but what is the term he will accept or is looking for?

But it is that he is having a fine year and playing 25+ minutes/game that he should be paid accordingly. Nobody here knows what details and information are a part of the negotiations happening right now. But if he ends up signing a 3 or 4 year deal and intends on playing out the contract, why is it such a bad deal? He has proven his knee is as strong as ever. He still has his playmaking ability, vision and high hockey I.Q. Not to mention his leadership and commitment to this organization his entire career. He will still be an important piece once the youngsters are everyday NHLers.

On one hand I look at Chara, who is superior to Markov and how he's had some slow down and last playoffs he played like a beast until Chicago. Who knows how much time he has?

But unlike Boston, the heir to Markov is already here in Subban. Hamilton isn't ready to take Zdeno's spot. We can move Markov down the depth chart when he shows he's slowing down.

I still pause at three years but one or two? Signed.

But it is that he is having a fine year and playing 25+ minutes/game that he should be paid accordingly. Nobody here knows what details and information are a part of the negotiations happening right now. But if he ends up signing a 3 or 4 year deal and intends on playing out the contract, why is it such a bad deal? He has proven his knee is as strong as ever. He still has his playmaking ability, vision and high hockey I.Q. Not to mention his leadership and commitment to this organization his entire career. He will still be an important piece once the youngsters are everyday NHLers.

The only thing I would disagree with is his mobility isn't what it once was and will not improve over next few years.

But I agree with dlbalr and slim chance Markov is going anywhere.

And all the 'intangibles' his presence would bring to youngsters and as a career Hab wanting to retire a Hab, should be considered.

crunching numbers, I don't think it would be equitable to keep Markov unless he signed a 1 yr extension and accepting a role of being bumped a pairing both on regular units and PP. With Markov being so injury prone and losing steps from a substantial list of injuries suffered from the past; I, for one, hope MB sends him packing for some assets.

How injury prone is a player who hasn't missed a single game in two calendar years?

His knees seem to be no more injury prone than anyone elses at this point.

Geez if it is that easy what the heck is stopping us? A game breaking 30 goal scorer with size, that won't be hard to come by. Let's go shopping at big wingers are us. I am joking. Do you have anyone in mind as to who this winger might be?

Vanek could be that guy, but not really physical. Same with Moulson (and I wonder if Moulson was a Tavares by-product).

If Ryan O'Reilly was available (as some speculate), he'd be the guy I'd go after hard.

Guest Stogey24

How injury prone is a player who hasn't missed a single game in two calendar years?

His knees seem to be no more injury prone than anyone elses at this point.

Vanek could be that guy, but not really physical. Same with Moulson (and I wonder if Moulson was a Tavares by-product).

If Ryan O'Reilly was available (as some speculate), he'd be the guy I'd go after hard.

I think we might see Vanek in a Habs Uni'

Markov should be the next Captain. I'll be very disappointed if it isn't Markov or Plekanec.

I think AVM was asked to be captain before an don't think it is his bag and he aint real fond of dumb media questions at all!

I got feeling 21 will be a Hab next year and if not, Josh it is.

Guest Stogey24

I think AVM was asked to be captain before an don't think it is his bag and he aint real fond of dumb media questions at all!

I got feeling 21 will be a Hab next year and if not, Josh it is.

There is no way Gionta stays with Montreal.

I don't think we should even want him

I wouldnt bet your paycheque on that.

He may take pay cut and stick with team?

His play is underrated, but if he dosent resign wont break my heart, but I bet he & Markov will both be back and that is fine also.

His numbers since he joined the Habs: 283 regular season games played, 91 goals, 163 points. Playoffs: 28 games, 12 goals, 21 points. He has averaged 26 goals per year over an 82 game season with us. He is the captain of this team and will likely resign at a reasonable amount. You don't want this player on your team without having to give anything up to get him?

• Upvote 1