David Desharnais!

no lets let him go for free Much better idea

It's not necessarily for free, there are the contributions he provides down the stretch and in the postseason. Though those don't result in something tangible like a pick, player, of prospect, they do get something out of it by holding onto him, plus the cap space to spend on a replacement (or extending someone).

It's not necessarily for free, there are the contributions he provides down the stretch and in the postseason. Though those don't result in something tangible like a pick, player, of prospect, they do get something out of it by holding onto him, plus the cap space to spend on a replacement (or extending someone).

That is true Brian, and if we win the cup, then I agree whole-heartedly. However if we are building through the draft then we need draft choices. Especially if we are 4 years away as MB has intimated. That being said, I never at any time said we should trade him for a 2nd, that is in the imagination of someone else. I also already said that if he walks we get 5 mill in cap space which is nothing to sneeze at. I really never should have posted that reply as I generally choose to ignore that individual, but in the haste of the moment, I did. I will endeavor not to be baited like that again. :habslogo:

That is true Brian, and if we win the cup, then I agree whole-heartedly. However if we are building through the draft then we need draft choices. Especially if we are 4 years away as MB has intimated. That being said, I never at any time said we should trade him for a 2nd, that is in the imagination of someone else. I also already said that if he walks we get 5 mill in cap space which is nothing to sneeze at. I really never should have posted that reply as I generally choose to ignore that individual, but in the haste of the moment, I did. I will endeavor not to be baited like that again. :habslogo:

So much disaster in one post, don't know where to start. I guess starting at the top, sentence by sentence:

Apparently only if we win the cup will it be the right decision to keep Gionta.

Where have you been? We HAVE been building through the draft. Our core is home grown talent and we have a plethora of picks in the system and a ton coming.

Perhaps you never said to trade Gionta for a second, but what the hell do you expect to get for him? You should apply for GM if you could have done better.

And you reply to me because I piss you off when I call you out on ridiculous statements and you choose to "ignore" me because your arguments are invalid. That being said, the only real disagreement we have had this last while has been our views on shipping off Gionta and Markov at the deadline. How many Habs fans here actually think that would be a good idea where we are sitting right now and moving into the playoffs? We have a really good team that can potentially do some damage RIGHT NOW, why wait for the uncertain future?

Soooo......how bout that DD!

He is now tied for 67th in NHL scoring 'race'. Nice finish to season for him.

If you take away his horrendous start which I think was 1 point in 17 games, since then he is scoring at a clip that would have him over 70 points for an 82 game season. Not too shabby for 3.5m

I was in favor of trading Gionta and Markov early in the season, and was hard on the case to trade Deharnais as well, looking toward some future that may take a while to get where we are sitting now....

And you know what?

These Crow sandwiches don't taste too bad at what 9-2 going into the last 4 games of the season...... :1banana::habslogo:

• Upvote 1

DD has played really well, but size wise, some change is required. You can't go forward with DD, Galleghar and Gionta. It's already been reported, MB wants to resign Gionta and there is no way I'd ever trade Galleghar - he is what Gionta was 12 years ago!

I disagree with this entire idea. No change in size is required. The habs are a really big team. You don't rate a team's size by the average size of its players. You rate a team's size by the average size of the biggest guy on the ice at any given time.

Patches and Vanek are both big power forwards, and they play even bigger than they are. Desharnais might be small, but he's playing with them. That makes that line HUGE.

Likewise, Gallagher and Gionta play bigger than they are, and they're on a team with Galchenyuk and Lars Eller (big guys)...and a bunch of big roleplayers. Even Plekanec is average sized, and nobody complains about that.

Then there is their towering defense... seriously, when Bouillon is your smallest D-Man (and for all his 5'8" diminutive height, the little man is 200 lbs, making him more solid than most players 4 inches taller than he is)... you're in good shape. Heck, before the Weaver trade, Bouillon was the ONLY guy under 6' tall on the blueline. They're all giants. Okay, so they're not Zdeno Chara, but they're all between 6' and 6-6, 200 - 245 lbs.

Edited by Jeff Price (no relation)

I disagree with this entire idea. No change in size is required. The habs are a really big team. You don't rate a team's size by the average size of its players. You rate a team's size by the average size of the biggest guy on the ice at any given time.

Patches and Vanek are both big power forwards, and they play even bigger than they are. Desharnais might be small, but he's playing with them. That makes that line HUGE.

Likewise, Gallagher and Gionta play bigger than they are, and they're on a team with Galchenyuk and Lars Eller (big guys)...and a bunch of big roleplayers. Even Plekanec is average sized, and nobody complains about that.

Then there is their towering defense... seriously, when Bouillon is your smallest D-Man (and for all his 5'8" diminutive height, the little man is 200 lbs, making him more solid than most players 4 inches taller than he is)... you're in good shape. Heck, before the Weaver trade, Bouillon was the ONLY guy under 6' tall on the blueline. They're all giants. Okay, so they're not Zdeno Chara, but they're all between 6' and 6-6, 200 - 245 lbs.

well that is an interesting take on things, and it has some merit. The thing being that our smurfs play much bigger than other smurfs. I think that Giont has to go due to age and salary, and the fact he is small. A younger bigger guy in his spot at a lower salary would the goal.

well that is an interesting take on things, and it has some merit. The thing being that our smurfs play much bigger than other smurfs. I think that Giont has to go due to age and salary, and the fact he is small. A younger bigger guy in his spot at a lower salary would the goal.

I'm not a huge fan of Gionta, though he's got heart and skill, we're paying too much for what we're getting. However, it's not Gionta's size that concerns me. I'd certainly be in favor of dumping his salary if it meant we could re-sign a guy like Vanek.

I'm not a huge fan of Gionta, though he's got heart and skill, we're paying too much for what we're getting. However, it's not Gionta's size that concerns me. I'd certainly be in favor of dumping his salary if it meant we could re-sign a guy like Vanek.

OH great pumpkin YES

Gionta a has 17 goals this year, and he's a crucial part of our team defense. Briere and Bouillon are the only shrimps that aren't pulling their weight. Gio, Desharnais and Gallagher all produce, so what can you do? I don't see a problem with the smurfs AS LONG as there are the Tinordis/Prusts/Parroses/Murrays/Moens in the lineup to stop them from getting run out of the rink.

When we had Gomez, Gio, Cammalleri, and Desharnais in the lineup, it was almost impossible to get results against PHI/BOS/TOR and they were often embarrassed in the process.

I honestly think the Habs are one of the tougher teams in the league atm.

Briere and Bouillon are the only shrimps that aren't pulling their weight.

With the exception of the statement I quoted, I agree with you.

Bouillon - I sortof agree. He's not a liability on the ice, however, and he plays tough. If you can get him cheaply enough, he's worth it for depth. At 1.5 million, we're overpaying. Next year, he'll get the league minimum, and at 700,000, he's a great spare D-man. Thing is, we have a bunch of kids that need ice time to develop. Bouillon has become redundant.

Briere is not doing badly, and we didn't even sign him for the regular season. We signed him for what he's going to start doing 4 games from now. For what we're paying, he's a bargain.

Bouillon - I sortof agree. He's not a liability on the ice, however, and he plays tough. If you can get him cheaply enough, he's worth it for depth. At 1.5 million, we're overpaying. Next year, he'll get the league minimum, and at 700,000, he's a great spare D-man. Thing is, we have a bunch of kids that need ice time to develop. Bouillon has become redundant.

Briere is not doing badly, and we didn't even sign him for the regular season. We signed him for what he's going to start doing 4 games from now. For what we're paying, he's a bargain.

I don't really know if Briere is going to give them the lift MB was expecting. He is a playoff performer, but in those years, he was at about .65-.90 PPG. He'll elevate his play, maybe even push someone off a top line, but not much more than 3-5 points in a full, seven game series.

I don't really know if Briere is going to give them the lift MB was expecting. He is a playoff performer, but in those years, he was at about .65-.90 PPG. He'll elevate his play, maybe even push someone off a top line, but not much more than 3-5 points in a full, seven game series.

He doesn't need to "push someone off a top line," He's already on one of their two indistiguishably talented second lines. The habs don't have a defined 1-2-3-4 line set up. They have a 1-2-2-4 line setup.

With the way the last ten games have gone, we have the best first line in the league, and two third lines.

Plekanec-8 points (exception)

Gallagher-4 points

Galchenyuk-4 points

Briere-3 points

Gionta-6 points

Eller- 3 points

Bourque-3 points

This is very concerning. A rough estimate, dividing the point totals by three, we're only getting about a goal a game in secondary scoring. When the Vanek line is covered like white on rice, and bleeding chances, another line has to pick up the slack.

Bouillon - I sortof agree. He's not a liability on the ice, however, and he plays tough. If you can get him cheaply enough, he's worth it for depth. At 1.5 million, we're overpaying. Next year, he'll get the league minimum, and at 700,000, he's a great spare D-man.

I think Weaver more than replaces Bouillion, and while I want all my defencemen to be 6 ft plus and 220 lbs plus. I think Weaver has done a hell of a job. We should resign him and turf Boullion.

He doesn't need to "push someone off a top line," He's already on one of their two indistiguishably talented second lines. The habs don't have a defined 1-2-3-4 line set up. They have a 1-2-2-4 line setup.

More like a 1 3a 3b 4 line up.

I think Weaver more than replaces Bouillion, and while I want all my defencemen to be 6 ft plus and 220 lbs plus. I think Weaver has done a hell of a job. We should resign him and turf Boullion.

More like a 1 3a 3b 4 line up.

I'd MUCH rather keep Weaver than Bouillon. As I said, Bouillon is now redundant. We have more depth than we can hold on to, and he doesn't bring anything we can't get better from another source.

As for the 1-3-3-4, I don't agree. We may not have gotten the great production out of them this year, but all of Montreal's 4th-through-9th forwards would be on the second line on most teams in the NHL, with the exceptions of Bourque and Eller.