David Desharnais!

the only gift horse I see here, is that now Desharnais is producing to a point where he may be attractive to other teams again looking for a second line center, because here, he is a place holder. Eventually, and i'm talking in the very near Future, Galchenyuk needs to be the one centering Max and Gallagher on the top line. Now when it comes to asking if we can win with Galchennyuk, Plekanec and Eller as our top 3, my vote is absolutely.

DD is typically in the way of allowing Galchenyuk to play the position we drafted him for, and the position he is most comfortable with. If you run a team with two 200 foot centers and two 6 foot+ centers, and 3 centers capable of helping there line be the stars of any given night, that is when you win hockey games on a regular basis, playoff or not.

Does anyone honestly think Max is going to mind playing with Galchenyuk when that kid gets to play HIS position, and is in his early twenties? And lets not forget, DD was slumping horribly with Max on his line, that line didn't start going bonkers until Gallagher got on it, he is the true catalyst behind their revival. All the things that guy does on every shift to help out his line mates and draw attention to himself don't always show on the stat sheet, but they sure do translate to what goes on it.

Examples:

Gallagher plays on Eller line = Consistent Production, Desharnais line asleep at the wheel

Gallagher plays on Desharnais line = consistent production, Eller line not producing.

Agree that Gallagher is a big + with anyone (or even by himself he would do his thing and bump/run/slewfoot/X-check/fight and accidentally on-purpose fall on top of every opposing goalie and get Phil Esposito-Tim Kerr-type goals).

I don't think Galchenyuk defensive game is centre calibre yet, maybe after 1 more summer of training and next fall his 2-way game hopefully will be good enough to centre at this level?

I certainly would not dump him. I am just looking at team balance. Briere and DD are virtually identical. DD could concieveably bring more in atrade than Briere. If the value were good, I would trade him, regardless of chemistry. If Pac cant play without DD, I would rather expose that before his next contract. I like DD, Briere and Gionta, but for team balance, I would only want one of them.

I'd take a 2nd rounder for DD and be happy with that. I'd trade Markov for a big blue chip prospect center or winger and a draft pick or two to replace DD. I'd trade Gionta for a blue-chip prospect on wing,to a team looking to make a playoff run. Getting prospects as opposed to draft choices is the key. You have a better idea of how they project, and they are closer to contributing at the NHL level. Halak for Eller looks pretty good in that light now, and one wonders what we would think of the trade if MT actually used Eller properly and gave him DD's linemates. People talk about DD like he's some offensive genius. He is leveraging his linemates ability and makes the occasional decent pass Not exactly the second coming of Gretzky. He does not perform against capable shutdown defenders, and he is a huge defensive liability in every way. Trade him!

I kind of like CC's assessment in that I think it's very unlikely that we would get fair value for Desharnais on the open market. I don't necessarily view the problem as having too many small players on our team. Rather, I think having too many natural centers on the team is more of an issue. My stance has not changed for over a year now in that if it's between Eller, Plekanec, Galchenyuk and Desharnais, then Desharnais should be the one to go. Sure, we could once again play Desharnais, or any of the other aforementioned players out of position, but really the question is why? Someone on here mentioned recently that their biggest problem with this season has been how many players have been playing outside their natural position. At some point, we have to start changing that reality. I'm not a big fan of being the type who says "trade this player and trade that player" but I do believe that those who think we should trade Desharnais while his value is high are spot on. From a neutral, league wide perspective however, it's hard to look at Desharnais and not underrate his value because of things like his size and one dimensional play, regardless of how many points he puts up.

In the end, while I do think we could definitely win with him on the team, I also believe we're "better off" without him as long as we can start filling some other needs.

I think many have this belief that our #1 centre must always play with the #1 winger. That isn't true.

Look at the 2008 team where Koivu was still the number 1 centre, and Kovalev was the number 1 wing, but they were on different lines. There is nothing wrong with that, as long as both lines are producing.

Galchenyuk doesn't need to be centring Pacioretty to be the number 1 centre.

In fact right now, I'd say Plekanec is our #1 centre and Pacioretty is our #1 Winger.

Going forward, there is nothing wrong with Galchenyuk being a number 1 guy and leading a different line that is also producing offence while DD and Patch continue to score as a "second line"

Have you forgotten about Galchenyuk? He's our great white (and red and blue) hope.

I certainly haven't forgotten about him...but...he's got a ways to go before we know whether or not he can be 'the man'.

I certainly haven't forgotten about him...but...he's got a ways to go before we know whether or not he can be 'the man'.

Sure, but I think in a year or two with more experience, a bit bigger/faster/stronger and Galchenyuk will be a super player.

He is just turning 20 in a few days, so still way ahead of most prospects.

• 1 month later...

The season isn't over but it's safe to say that Desharnais will have more than 50 points to end the season.

One stat we can say is that he went from three points in 20 games to 49 points in 74 games. To put that number in perspective, Desharnais has put up 46 points in 54 games (the exact numbers Bozak has funny enough). That's a great clip for a $3.5M player.

The season isn't over but it's safe to say that Desharnais will have more than 50 points to end the season.

One stat we can say is that he went from three points in 20 games to 49 points in 74 games. To put that number in perspective, Desharnais has put up 46 points in 54 games (the exact numbers Bozak has funny enough). That's a great clip for a $3.5M player.

He has made a truly remarkable turnaround, and looks great with patches and vanek.

Yup, looks great with Patch and Vanek, in the offensive zone, still a nightmare in his own end, and my mother could bounce him in the corner and take the puck....not a playoff performer, and never will be.....

Yup, looks great with Patch and Vanek, in the offensive zone, still a nightmare in his own end, and my mother could bounce him in the corner and take the puck....not a playoff performer, and never will be.....

For what is worth, @ +1, the lil fellow was the only + top 6 forward vs Sens last year.

While; Galchenyuk looked scared shitless in that series (-4), Gallagher was totally useless @ -7 and Plekanec was -5 (I know I know #14 always vs top line and asked to do a lot).

So, on its face DD may be a OK in playoffs?, he was over 1PPG in AHL (27pts in 25 games), so we will need to wait and see, Briere is a small dude and starred in post season.

DD was counted out by all in the fall and made everyone eat crow. He deserves benefit of doubt don't you think?

Just another time that DD has to prove people wrong. I hope he does it. But you are correct he is a flyweight.

I hope I'm wrong, we'll see I guess. He is going to get enough offensive zone starts to have an opportunity to succeed, but if his game vs Tampa this week was any indication, you guys can have benefit of the doubt sandwiches:)Like I said, I hope I'm wrong....

I'm still skeptical about his place on a contender, and I would think about trading him while his value is high. Granted, Galchenyuk would have to be ready to take up the mantle of first line scoring centre.

I can't understand why anyone would trade Pleks. He's an awesome 200 ft player. DD is completely expendable and not a component of a championship team.

Don't know about DD, really.. I just don't know.. but I'm liking what I see these days.. but I sure agree about Pleks.

If I worked for a company and they unloaded a GREAT player like Pleks.. who's almost a perfect hockey player.. I'd fire the CEO's.

And there's something to be said for identity too. Pleks is a Hab. What else is there to know?

• Upvote 1

Well, after a season like this it's hard NOT to think we're looking a gift horse in the teeth when we criticize DD. It's absolutely true to say that he will never be great in his own end and that he will never be a physical player. It's also absolutely true to say that he is a legitimate top-6 offensive talent who works very well with talented linemates to put points on the board. It's way too premature to say that "he will never be" a playoff performer. I think Commandant called it: as long as you're not expecting him to be your #1C, there is nothing wrong with keeping him on the team. I see no reason why he cannot be a contributor to a Cup champ, as long as it's understood that he a support player rather than a true "core" guy.

Well, after a season like this it's hard NOT to think we're looking a gift horse in the teeth when we criticize DD. It's absolutely true to say that he will never be great in his own end and that he will never be a physical player. It's also absolutely true to say that he is a legitimate top-6 offensive talent who works very well with talented linemates to put points on the board. It's way too premature to say that "he will never be" a playoff performer. I think Commandant called it: as long as you're not expecting him to be your #1C, there is nothing wrong with keeping him on the team. I see no reason why he cannot be a contributor to a Cup champ, as long as it's understood that he a support player rather than a true "core" guy.

A support player? What exactly is that?

Could be, but I just think wait and see how he does when it matters. Some might not even be too crazy to pick him in a playoff pool, with the 2 wingers he has.

We cannot trade DD for better or worse he is here for a long time. If patches loses his l'il buddy, I don't think good results will follow.

Besides the way he has played in the last 50 games, nobody hould want to get rid of him. He is an inspiration to the team. Fighting against long odds.

DD has played really well, but size wise, some change is required. You can't go forward with DD, Galleghar and Gionta. It's already been reported, MB wants to resign Gionta and there is no way I'd ever trade Galleghar - he is what Gionta was 12 years ago!

We cannot trade DD for better or worse he is here for a long time. If patches loses his l'il buddy, I don't think good results will follow.

Besides the way he has played in the last 50 games, nobody hould want to get rid of him. He is an inspiration to the team. Fighting against long odds.

How many first-line wingers are we going to have? Desharnais won't be a 'support player' is he's hogging our two best forwards, he'll be our first-line centre. Plekanec is a guy who fits the profile of 'support player' - he'll produce with anybody, and his defensive abilities are more than enough to make up for any dry spell he's going through. If DD isn't producing, he's almost worthless. It remains to be seen if he's able to produce without our best winger. I just have a hard time seeing a Cup contender with DD on the first line. But for now, Galchenyuk isn't close to being ready to replace him.

DD has played really well, but size wise, some change is required. You can't go forward with DD, Galleghar and Gionta. It's already been reported, MB wants to resign Gionta and there is no way I'd ever trade Galleghar - he is what Gionta was 12 years ago!

Well I believe that you and I agree that Gionta should be gone. We should have traded him at the deadline, now we get nothing if we let him go. However as Big Bob used to say we get 5 mill in cap space to spend how we want.

Well I believe that you and I agree that Gionta should be gone. We should have traded him at the deadline, now we get nothing if we let him go. However as Big Bob used to say we get 5 mill in cap space to spend how we want.

Yup, load up for the playoffs by acquiring Vanek only to turn around and trade our captain for a second rounder, makes perfect sense.

Yup, load up for the playoffs by acquiring Vanek only to turn around and trade our captain for a second rounder, makes perfect sense.

no lets let him go for free Much better idea