2014 Sochi Olympics Thread

dlbalr

It's really embarrassing for the top level of women's hockey to have such poor officiating. Throughout the tournament it has been bad, although there has been some pretty bad officiating on the men's side too. That's just inexcusable for the linesman to back right into the Canadian player right before the US almost scored that empty netter. Then an absolutely horrific slashing call after they called the penalty on Canada in OT. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the final penalty as well. In live speed, it definitely looked like obstruction of some sort, even though replays showed their skates just got tangled when the US player was trying to get around Wickenheiser. How is it not a penalty shot, though, if you're going to make that call? Those are some calls you can't blame on only having the one ref.

All that being said, when you blow a 2 goal third period lead to a team who has already come back on you within the tournament, you pretty much don't deserve to win.

Also, when are they going to life the body checking ban in women's hockey? I really don't understand it. I never would have imagined there would be women in the UFC before hitting was legal in women's hockey.

It's really embarrassing for the top level of women's hockey to have such poor officiating. Throughout the tournament it has been bad, although there has been some pretty bad officiating on the men's side too. That's just inexcusable for the linesman to back right into the Canadian player right before the US almost scored that empty netter. Then an absolutely horrific slashing call after they called the penalty on Canada in OT. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the final penalty as well. In live speed, it definitely looked like obstruction of some sort, even though replays showed their skates just got tangled when the US player was trying to get around Wickenheiser. How is it not a penalty shot, though, if you're going to make that call? Those are some calls you can't blame on only having the one ref.

All that being said, when you blow a 2 goal third period lead to a team who has already come back on you within the tournament, you pretty much don't deserve to win.

Also, when are they going to life the body checking ban in women's hockey? I really don't understand it. I never would have imagined there would be women in the UFC before hitting was legal in women's hockey.

:D

What a game for the gold. Canada-US in the final is always a classic, and this one lived up to it. The Canadian goalie saved our bacon time and again. However, if I was American I'd be pissed, there were some iffy calls in OT. Who hires a British ref for the biggest game in the sport?

If I had to guess, the teams wanted someone who spoke English. There's nothing like having the biggest game with an official that understands nothing the players/coaches say and that says nothing that anyone else can understand.

If I had to guess, the teams wanted someone who spoke English. There's nothing like having the biggest game with an official that understands nothing the players/coaches say and that says nothing that anyone else can understand.

They must have chosen her over the Australian and South African candidates, then.

Swedes and Finns speak better English than most Canadian hockey players.