Who should be coaching the Habs?

Meller93

Plus minus means nothing to me. Emelin's skating has improved, other than that, I'm not impressed. Watch him closely in the playoffs, he loves to chase the puck in his own end.

And he has been hitting everything that moved lately, no he will never be a big puck rusher/passer, but never has been.

And I just haven't noticed clueless play from him

But, is all good if he lays the body on Tampa young rookies and pisses them off, as he does to the Bruins (and other teams) and is just too bad Cokehead-Malone is out, because Emelin used to hit him until he freaks out and takes dumb penalties.

Emelin has had a decidedly mixed season, but I think he needs a bit of a pass. Some injuries can be tough to recover from when you have to dive right into mid-season. The other point is the one I think DON is making - namely that it is wrong to evaluate a player entirely on the basis of their limitations without also considering their strengths. Too often we fans do this. "DD is overmatched physically" - as though it doesn't matter that he has been a PPG player for the last 2/3 of the season. "Emelin has problems in his own end" - as though it doesn't matter that he is also a wrecking ball out there, on a team that has long needed physicality in its own end. Next we'll be hearing complaints that Patches doesn't get enough assists. ;) The fact is, the Habs have had two great seasons in a row. Critical thinking is welcome, but the negativity on internet forums doesn't seem to have caught up to this New Reality: we are, overall, officially a good team.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

And he has been hitting everything that moved lately, no he will never be a big puck rusher/passer, but never has been.

And I just haven't noticed clueless play from him

But, is all good if he lays the body on Tampa young rookies and pisses them off, as he does to the Bruins (and other teams) and is just too bad Cokehead-Malone is out, because Emelin used to hit him until he freaks out and takes dumb penalties.

Emelin is ranked 43rd in the league in hitting, which is pretty solid for Montreal and I'll always give credit where its due. I just think his IQ is on the lower end of the spectrum.

"Emelin has problems in his own end" - as though it doesn't matter that he is also a wrecking ball out there

You can be a wrecking ball and it does nothing to help your team from keeping goals off the scoreboard. You can be a problem in your own end (as a defenceman) and it definitely hinders your team from keeping goals off the scoreboard.

That said, I don't think he's that bad in his own end and has just had a shaky season due to injuries. I don't know true the "off position" stuff is. I'll take Emelin over any defenceman in Toronto though.

Guest Stogey24

You can be a wrecking ball and it does nothing to help your team from keeping goals off the scoreboard. You can be a problem in your own end (as a defenceman) and it definitely hinders your team from keeping goals off the scoreboard.

That said, I don't think he's that bad in his own end and has just had a shaky season due to injuries. I don't know true the "off position" stuff is. I'll take Emelin over any defenceman in Toronto though.

Even Double Dion?! :P

Even Double Dion?! :P

Even.

Emelin is a better hitter, he's smarter defensively, he plays better when expected to carry a first pairing load (with Markov as he has done several times in the last two seasons) than Phaneuf does regardless of Phaneuf's partner. He isn't as strong offensively but Phaneuf wears down mentally by the third period. Most of his errors come in the third or overtime. Then add the contract and the fact he seems to piss off a lot of teammates. Emelin is cheaper and smarter. The worst Emelin game he costs the team a goal. The worst Phaneuf game he costs the team the game.

“When I prepare, what I’m thinking is that I want to be the guy that makes the big play,” Briere said. “I want the puck when the game’s on the line. It’s not about thinking that I’m a playoff performer or that I’m better than anyone. I wish it was clearer or that there was a better explanation, but there really isn’t.”

I love that attitude

Emelin is ranked 43rd in the league in hitting, which is pretty solid for Montreal and I'll always give credit where its due. I just think his IQ is on the lower end of the spectrum.

Above a Rene Bourque and below a Markov, I would agree with.

To put that into context, he missed 22 games with the knee injury from last season. Over a full season at that rate, he's in the top-10/15.

ok that is a large range.

Yes, should of said I don't have a clue, but he seems, to me, to have pretty good smarts? He has been deaked out badly several times, but overall I doubt will be regretting signing him to $4m/yr for next few years.

Like we talked about in the pod cast.

I hope Therrien follows in the same foot steps as McNeil.

couldn't happen to a better guy!

I think that's a bit of over-reaction. Imagine us if Price couldn't play. Having your number 1 just AVAILABLE to play impacts the entire confidence of the team. They are a different team with Bishop, just as we are a different team without Price.

I think that's a bit of over-reaction. Imagine us if Price couldn't play. Having your number 1 just AVAILABLE to play impacts the entire confidence of the team. They are a different team with Bishop, just as we are a different team without Price.

There's a lot of talk about how bad Tampa Bay has been, but not a lot of talk about how good Montreal has been.

The trap they're playing would cause Jacques Lemaire to pitch a tent in his pants. Tampa can't get out of their own end or sustain pressure. Role players are scoring big goals, down to the weakest link, Rene Bourque, who is the biggest dog i've ever seen wear the CH. Subban is back with the return of Josh Gorges, albeit in a controlled, Therrien a proved fashion. Price didn't give up a bad rebound that entire game. Markov is controlling the tempo of every shift he's on the ice. Therrien has his team ready and he's making adjustments.

The team is playing like a contender.

There's a lot of talk about how bad Tampa Bay has been, but not a lot of talk about how good Montreal has been.

The trap they're playing would cause Jacques Lemaire to pitch a tent in his pants. Tampa can't get out of their own end or sustain pressure. Role players are scoring big goals, down to the weakest link, Rene Bourque, who is the biggest dog i've ever seen wear the CH. Subban is back with the return of Josh Gorges, albeit in a controlled, Therrien a proved fashion. Price didn't give up a bad rebound that entire game. Markov is controlling the tempo of every shift he's on the ice. Therrien has his team ready and he's making adjustments.

They are playing as well as they have played all season, and this is a 100 point team. Suddenly it seems easy to see how good they actually are, especially when it counts.

Usually, this season, the habs played better without Price. Its like they knew 2 goals don't win them the game with Budaj, so the score four.

Guest Stogey24

Subban played an excellent game. He kept it simple more often than not.

Thought this thread was who should be coaching habs not a chance for same ole posters to say the same ole poop about the same players. MT is doing well and flying under the radar. You can't ask more from a coach in Mtl. Say what you want about him but present results speak volumes. He is a professional level coach and getting the most out of his team at the right time of year. He is easy to bash, but upon unbiased evaluation he is doing well. I love PK, but as far as his and MT's relationship, PK has to respect his coach regardless and be a professional who shows up every game and plays for team wins, I see this happening more and more and thank MT and MB for instilling the team-first mentality, along with some key leaders like Gio, Marky, Prusty, Gorges and a few others. Keep the vibe alive Habs!

Thought this thread was who should be coaching habs not a chance for same ole posters to say the same ole poop about the same players. MT is doing well and flying under the radar. You can't ask more from a coach in Mtl. Say what you want about him but present results speak volumes. He is a professional level coach and getting the most out of his team at the right time of year. He is easy to bash, but upon unbiased evaluation he is doing well. I love PK, but as far as his and MT's relationship, PK has to respect his coach regardless and be a professional who shows up every game and plays for team wins, I see this happening more and more and thank MT and MB for instilling the team-first mentality, along with some key leaders like Gio, Marky, Prusty, Gorges and a few others. Keep the vibe alive Habs!

And I for one hope he keeps under the radar. It ain't broke don't fix it.

I am no Therrien fan. But at this particular juncture, with the team up 3-0 in Round One and almost every single player playing as well as he can possibly play, you'd have to be crazy to criticize him. Credit where due. He has done a terrific job of getting this team into peak form at just the right time. Now, will we be saying the same thing in Round Two (assuming no epic collapse against Tampa)? Stay tuned. ;) One thing is for sure - barring absolute disaster, he has bought himself more time behind the bench than I ever expected.