Round Two: Bruins or Wings (Bruins)

Neech

Guys, you don't know how it works. Whenever the Habs have enjoyed success over the past 35 years -ever since the dynasty era - it's always been discounted by various experts and commentators. Like I pointed out in another thread, in '86 we were the "worst team ever to win the Cup" - until 1993, that is, when we were "the worst team ever to win the Cup" AGAIN. In 2010, we were a garbage team riding 100% on Halak's coat-tails. Now in 2014, it's the refs plus an injured Bishop. I don't know what it is, but there is a bizarre need to denigrate whatever the Habs accomplish, and it won't stop any time soon. It won't even stop if we win the Cup; then it'll be all about how Price carried us single-handedly on his back, whatever. Get used to it.

As for the Prunes, I say bring 'em on. The sooner we beat a "physical" team the sooner we can flip all these "experts" the bird. GO HABS GO!!!

Great post CC.. love your historicism... it's lke a gaggle of women hating and dissing the most beautiful sexy woman in the room who's getting all the attention.

Only guy style.

• Upvote 1

Flip a coin who wins this one.

I ain't got no clue at all. Don't know what to think. I suspect there's a natural presumption that the Boos won't lose, but we played an awesome high speed tenacious game against a high oxygen TB who I thought would have us running around scared a lot.... Not.

And we LOVE whuppin' ourse don't we !!

Why not!

Quelle good thing that we have the fun and enjoyment of watching les glorieux step out onto a clear new sheet of ice... .

I'm as big of a fan as any of you guys, albeit younger than some and so I grew up in the wrong era when it comes to witnessing "important" playoff series' since I haven't witnessed many championships. But to me, this is the most important playoff series in relatively recent memory because if and when we get by it, we have a real chance.

I want to be completely honest and say that I am not feeling great going into this series. I don't predict a loss by any means but I feel rather uneasy knowing that we have such a great team and we are facing probably the only team that worries me in the east. Philly and Pittsburgh might be tough as well for different reasons but they simply lack the physical element that Boston can impose as well.

I know it's probably a bit cliche and overstated but the combination of Boston's style, certain bonehead players (sounds biased but it's just the way it is), as well as the intense rivarly between the teams always leads to something completely unexpected happening in terms of a player getting injured or something of the like.

I am a believer that it's pointless to dwell on hypotheticals but the Tampa series was almost too easy especially in the physicality department. This is great of course, but our team hasn't had to face any lulls due to a breakdown in chemistry. It only takes one person to go down for the whole dynamics of our lineup and more importantly our playoff run to change. With that being said, I'll admit that it's a bit of a specific worry I have and as has been mentioned here, I can't imagine many teams having the depth we do right now. It's really amazing actually.

Off the top of my head, here are a few keys to success that I think will be important in order to come out on top.

- Keep playing our game, the way we have been

- Stay as healthy as we can

- My two hopes: 1) Price plays a very consistent and solid series 2) Vanek really is the Bruin killer he has been made out to be

- The obvious one: We need our secondary and tertiary production/contributions to continue

- The two important dmen: I don't want to make too many negative predictions but Emelin will be very important this series. He always goes hard against Lucic and he has to play smart and not wear himself down too much early on in the series. He plays well vs the Bruins though and scored 2 goals against them this season. Subban will be our most important player along with Price against the Bruins. He has to play smart, with composure and hopefully he can find a way to do a little more damage on the power play. You'll be the best defenseman on the ice PK, make the difference.

-Goalie Battle: Price has to be better than Rask. Seriously, no soft ones. Not in this series.

- Finally, stay as disciplined as we can as a unit and get better on the PP (re: Subban) Boston will take penalties

In the end, I think this is a pretty evenly matched up series and hard one to predict but I don't want to say it will go the distance. 6 games at the most, unless the Habs are down 3-2 :)

Oh yes I forgot about Vanek having the "Bruin killer" title, that's great.

Another big factor I don't think that has been discussed yet is how the refs will call the games. Boston is a team that always pushes the limit when playing and what the refs allow them to do will be important in the outcome of this series. It'll be tough to win if it's a Marchand punching the crap out of a Sedin with no call type of series.

Oh yes I forgot about Vanek having the "Bruin killer" title, that's great.

Another big factor I don't think that has been discussed yet is how the refs will call the games. Boston is a team that always pushes the limit when playing and what the refs allow them to do will be important in the outcome of this series. It'll be tough to win if it's a Marchand punching the crap out of a Sedin with no call type of series.

From, what I've seen, the refs are being more active this playoffs, and that only plays into our hands. Boston had six pp goals (wow) but Montreal only took 7 minor penalties the entire series. With two empty netters they might look to play a more wide open game.

All those other teams gotta finish up first. And I have this guilty hope that LA comes back to beat San Jose. Apart from having Carter, Quick and Kopitar in a playoff pool, I wanna see a rematch of the '93 Stanley Cup final.

And I'm going to come out and say it: Montreal will beat Boston this series.

I feel 100% safe in saying so... because if they win I'll look like a supremely confident and loyal prophet, and if I'm wrong, I probably won't come back here until next September anyway and won't have to deal with it. :cry_smile:

Edited by Jeff Price (no relation)

One worrisome fact is the Bs are a top-10 PK team...while our PP looked pretty lame against Tampa. If those trends continue, the Bruins will have no fear of going to the box and will be pleased to take all sorts of liberties with our guys. It would not surprise me at all if Emelin in particular is "unintentionally"/"accidentally" injured on a "hockey play" at some point in this series.

Like CC said, there will no doubt be a "hockey play gone wrong" injury or two to key Habs players if the refs let the B's play the goon way, and as Illwill said, the Refs will play a huge part in the series, and we all know they have been pro-Bruins in some playoff series lately, more specifically with non-calls than the calls they make.

Remember Habbies, stay on your feet 'cause Bruins never tolerate divers....like Julien says in the video interview, "we" will have to make sure the right people are in place to ref.... Jacobs phone call maybe? at any rate, here's what I mean ..... part one:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6IxtxfsNWg Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftGo5FR6umY&feature=youtu.be

I'm getting less pessimistic as the series approaches - at this point, everything gets thrown out the window and it's just two teams going at it. Two things that I think will be key: can Therrien outsmart Julien, or at least make the necessary in-series adjustments? Round one made him look good, but it's hard to see this matchup as being in our favour. Secondly: Price has to be better than Rask. That means Price not only has to be lights out himself, but Rask has to falter at least a little bit. I don't know if we can beat the Bruins with the best goalie in the league backstopping them. We've sort of been Rask's kryptonite so far, though, and hopefully that can continue.

I'm pretty confident in Montreal for five reasons:

- Vanek is a Boston killer

- Rask plays mediocre against us

- Chara is going to be driven mad dealing with Gallagher and Gionta every other shift.

- We have an incredible amount of forward depth this time around especially with Moen returning

- I don't believe Boston has a playoff X factor like Briere in their bottom lines

Currently I'd say Montreal in five.

Guest Stogey24

Hope Habs can pull it out, but I think Bruins in 6 is most likely outcome.

I know the time off gives players time to heal, but we finally had all lines firing; that is what this team is built around. I'm just worried that this waiting game may have cooled off the players that were riding a high. If that proves true I think Boston will walk all over us, but if the boys can pick up where they left of off we have a serious chance.

Well Said CC. The addition of Vanek has definitely made us a better team. A team that can compete against the likes of the Pooh Bears.

I would just like to add my two cents, and that would be Rask's horrible record against the Habs. Isn't he something like 4W -14L vs the Habs in his career? That kind of horrible record must be messing with his head. If we can manage to score early on Rask, he might implode!

I have the answer. If we score more goals than they do in every game, we will win. Gosh it is just so simple when you think about it.

That is it, I think Habs PP will need to step it up and make Bruins pay for 'extra-cheap shots" taken by Marchand-Lucic. But, even with addition of Vanek it hasnt happened and why if I try and be objective about chances and my 1st instinct or gut says Bruins win.

IF Habs actually can score on PP and win special teams battle (Moan will really help I think) then got a better chance to come out on top.

Screw it, it will be an entertaining and hard fought series and cant wait till drop the puck. :gohabsgo:

I'm pretty confident in Montreal for five reasons:

- Vanek is a Boston killer

- Rask plays mediocre against us

- Chara is going to be driven mad dealing with Gallagher and Gionta every other shift.

- We have an incredible amount of forward depth this time around especially with Moen returning

- I don't believe Boston has a playoff X factor like Briere in their bottom lines

Currently I'd say Montreal in five.

MOLG...you're one of the people here that I keep in high regard; always astute and precise in your analysis. The Habs in 5 is absolutely preposterous to the pundits.

But not to me.

I don't want to harp on all the intangibles that have been mentioned by many in this forum, but I do want to add that I truly believe we are on the cusp of watching a very special group of players take us on an epic journey this spring.

All I say to you men (and hockey loving women) out there is please, please make your kids watch the games with you. This group of players, who might be small in stature but giants at heart, will lead by example thus indirectly instilling important characteristics that all of our kids will need while growing up in this harsh, competitive world we live in.

Oh and along the way they will make them Habs fans for life!!!

• Upvote 2

I appreciate your advice to watch the games with my kids, but I do not have to "make" them watch the games with me. In Qatar, the games start at 2am and my son (11) and I have altered our sleep schedule on game days so that we can watch the games live.

For game three I "overslept" and my son got up on his own and watched the game by himself. He is already is a die-hard habs fan--as is his 7 year old sister-- who is not allowed to get up with us, much to her chagrin.

I have thoroughly immersed them in Habs' lore just as my father did with my brother and me and my brother is doing with his sons. For us, it is a valuable family tradition and part of raising our children right.

On an unrelated note, the inter-squad game is a brilliant exercise. It brings the team back to the game-day routine before the series starts and gets the Black Aces a real chance to interact with the big team.

BTW, MOLG, I fervently hope your prediction is right, but I feel it will be the Habs victorious in 6

• Upvote 2

Habs in 4. We can play hockey. They can't. Lucic is lucky to still be playing after that spear in the Detroit series. No fear Habs in 4 as Price holds the fort.

Habs in 3. We'll win the first three games by a 40 goal margin, and the Bruins will commit seppuku while jumping from the Jacques Cartier bridge. The league will applaud their actions and crown Carey Price God-Emperor of Dune.

Habs in 3. We'll win the first three games by a 40 goal margin, and the Bruins will commit seppuku while jumping from the Jacques Cartier bridge. The league will applaud their actions and crown Carey Price God-Emperor of Dune.

I hope you have that dog saved to your desktop. Our Canine Talisman is a crucial intangible.

I have the answer. If we score more goals than they do in every game, we will win. Gosh it is just so simple when you think about it.

It's this kind of extraordinary insight that keeps me coming back. :halm: