Habs and NHL awards

Am I the only one who finds the latter omission, in particular, puzzling?Thoughts?

Not really. Varlamov and Bishop both largely came out of nowhere to lead their respective teams into the playoffs (with home ice) so both of them were likely to get the nod. Statistically speaking, Rask was the best starter. I'm not surprised with any of the picks; I imagine Price likely finished 4th in the voting.

You can't realistically put Pleks above any of those Selke candidates. He'd be in the next 3 or so, however.

Price deserves a Vezina nod, but as dlbalr explained, so do those other three goalies. One would have to be left out, and I'm a little surprised that Varlamov got in ahead of him. I guess similar if not slightly better numbers in a tougher Western conference made the difference.

Not really. Varlamov and Bishop both largely came out of nowhere to lead their respective teams into the playoffs (with home ice) so both of them were likely to get the nod. Statistically speaking, Rask was the best starter. I'm not surprised with any of the picks; I imagine Price likely finished 4th in the voting.

Couldn't have said better myself. Price was probably 4th and there's nothing wrong with that. The other three goalies were better!

Price, meh. I'd consider him top three for sure but they gave a nod to the goalie who took his team from 12th to 3rd. Price doesn't need to win any gold trophies for us. Just the silver one.

Plekanec never nominated bewilders me. I saw the journalists list and he got like a few fifth place votes and that's it. He's one of the best defensive players in the league by a mile. The west doesn't have a Crosby, a Malkin, an Ovechkin, a Tavares or a Stamkos. Plekanec plays them all better than anyone else in the league. Stupidity.

I guess you all have a point. I just find it surprising that Pleks (to my memory) has never been in the Selke conversation - I'm pretty sure he is a player that opposing forwards dread having to go up against, not least because his stickwork carves them up like a Thanksgiving turkey, but also because he is so damned effective. Part of the problem there may be the tendency over the past decade to give the Selke to "star" offensive players who also excel at the two-way game; the criteria are such that Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau would no longer win the award.

Similarly, everyone and his dog is now talking about Price as self-evidently one of the league's absolute top goalies (would you really trade Price for Bishop or Varlamaov?) yet he's not in the mix either. It's not so much "this season" as the ongoing absence of personal hardware for these guys that sort of raises my eyebrow. But hey, it's true, there's only one trophy that really matters.

Varlamov was the best goalie in the NHL this year, Colorado is a terrible defensive team who doesn't make the playoffs without him. He won't win the Vezina but should.

Price was honestly the second most valuable goalie to his team this year. Not being nominated is robbery.

That said, the Conn Smythe is better than the Vezina anyway.

Price is saying all the right things... that individual awards won't "make or break" him, and that the other 3 goalies had better years than him.

I believe, that Price believes, as do all the Habs players, that the team can win the cup, and that's been their mantra all season, the team thing....

If they indeed do, it would no doubt be a Conn Smythe for him..... he has it in him, and really is one of, if not the best goalies in the NHL, his time is coming, if not here now.....

I guess you all have a point. I just find it surprising that Pleks (to my memory) has never been in the Selke conversation - I'm pretty sure he is a player that opposing forwards dread having to go up against, not least because his stickwork carves them up like a Thanksgiving turkey, but also because he is so damned effective. Part of the problem there may be the tendency over the past decade to give the Selke to "star" offensive players who also excel at the two-way game; the criteria are such that Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau would no longer win the award.

Similarly, everyone and his dog is now talking about Price as self-evidently one of the league's absolute top goalies (would you really trade Price for Bishop or Varlamaov?) yet he's not in the mix either. It's not so much "this season" as the ongoing absence of personal hardware for these guys that sort of raises my eyebrow. But hey, it's true, there's only one trophy that really matters.

I agree with you, but faceoff percentage, ice time, sh TOI, and especially face offs are all they care about.

Did I mention faceoffs are huge?!

Price is saying all the right things... that individual awards won't "make or break" him, and that the other 3 goalies had better years than him.

He is one classy dude.

Guest Stogey24

Varlamov was the best goalie in the NHL this year, Colorado is a terrible defensive team who doesn't make the playoffs without him. He won't win the Vezina but should.

Price was honestly the second most valuable goalie to his team this year. Not being nominated is robbery.

That said, the Conn Smythe is better than the Vezina anyway.

Yea, Varalmov should win it.