Game 7, Canadiens vs Bruins, 7 PM

dlbalr

For me, the most series defining moment was when I first watched Subban skate away from a Bruins-initiated after-the-whistle scrum in game 1. Therien had laid down the law. Don't get me wrong, I love Subban, but he's definitely one of the more intense, emotional players on the Habs roster, and even he bought into Therien's plan. This series was going to be about hockey skill, not tempers or verbal jabbing or our response to goonery.

That's when I knew we could win.

Geez I don't know where to start.

I've said it from the get go; there is something very special about this team. Let's all relish the moment and enjoy the ride.

I made a promise to my soon to be 5yr old daughter. If, by any chance, the Canadiens win the cup, we are driving up to Montreal for the parade.

Nothing would make me happier.

Thanks to all of you for being my family for the past 9 yrs

Go Habs Go

Wonderful post.

Made my heart smile and brought a tear to my eye!

According to John Barrett, who flew back with the Habs last night, the team was happy BUT already beginning to refocus on the Rangers. It really does sound as though the internal leadership understands that you don't win anything until you win it all. Maybe, just maybe, this bunch has what it takes.

As much as this team is different than 2010.. .there were enough guys on that 2010 team... .Subban, Price, Markov (injured), Plekanec, Moen, Gionta, ... to know that no matter what the emotional high was in beating two opponents and making the final four, they saw it all come crashing down against the Flyers (in a series the Habs were the betting line favorites in).

Now we've talked a lot about how that was a cinderella run, and this is a team coming into its own.... and yes, I think that is true. And Yes we have a different (and better) team today.

That said, the lessons of 2010 should be valuable to this group.

The defining moment for me was when Pacioretty scored that goal in game 6. At that moment I knew we were winning the series (for a few reasons).

3rd most important - The goal was made by Beaulieu's pass... before that I had hoped he was ready and begged for him to be given a chance. Still any rookie in his first playoff game, there is doubt. He erased that doubt, just like Subban did in getting an assist vs Washington in game 6 of 2010. Suddenly the one area of this team (the third pair defence) that was a major weakness that scared the crap out of me before, was no longer that major weakness.

2nd most important- We were in the series and giving Boston all they could handle without Pacioretty scoring. Now Max is a streaky scorer, we know this, he goes on cold streaks and hot streaks. I knew when he scored that one, he'd score again in game 7. The confidence was back, and our goal scorer was ready to light the lamp.

But the #1 reason that play defined the series - Right before that play, Carey Price had made numerous huge stops to keep the lead at 1-0. All series he had been on his game, but with his back to the wall, and in an elimination game, he took it up yet one more notch... Carey was on fire, and you weren't going to beat him on a simple shot, you needed the perfect tip (like Iginla in game 7) or a play where his defence left him hung out to dry. Short of that, you weren't scoring on the guy. He was full on Price Olympic mode, and I knew if we got him 2 goals in any game, Boston couldn't get 2. Knowing we were up two goals in game 6, and feeling that Max was sure to pot one in game 7, i figured, hey we have 60 minutes, for 1 guy, just one guy to find that second goal in game 7.

Well, could it possibly get any better than those last two games? Only if we make it to and have success in the finals.

The Bruins got what they deserved..and so did the Habs.

This is a great team, with a great feel about it.

I said it at pick-up hockey a couple of months ago that I thought the Habs were going to make a run this year. And here we are!

I've been downloading the games and watching them on my projector the day after here in Saudi Arabia. I'm sure you all can imagine what it means to have that to be able to enjoy here. I work with a bunch of Brits and Americans so all I have to do is avoid the news and there isn't much chance of getting a spoiler.

Can't wait for at least 6 more games I would say.

Ole, Ole Ole Ole, Ole, Ole

:wavetowel::gohabsgo::wavetowel:

Well, could it possibly get any better than those last two games? Only if we make it to and have success in the finals.

I said it at pick-up hockey a couple of months ago that I thought the Habs were going to make a run this year. And here we are!

I've been downloading the games and watching them on my projector the day after here in Saudi Arabia. I'm sure you all can imagine what it means to have that to be able to enjoy here. I work with a bunch of Brits and Americans so all I have to do is avoid the news and there isn't much chance of getting a spoiler.

KSA!? Ugh.. I spent 6 months there.. felt like 2 years.. where are you? Whatcha doing? Salam.

I hate cliches and overhyped points made by media, but the I think the Bruins "don't poke the bear" stuff backfired. They disrespected the Habs. The Bruins poked the Hab. Thornton poked the Hab. Doesn't sound as good, I know. The Bruins poked the Habs and Thornton's last sign of disrespect was enough to gel the team to dominate game 6.

That's a real effect. In that great Michael Farber article about the Too Many Men fiasco, Milbury (for all his bad gming and bravado is actually a shrewd, college educated analyst) said something to the effect of "we saw ourselves as the big bad Bruins and believed hype...we saw our reflections in the Stanley Cup."

I have no doubt that the Bruins thought they were the Cat's Asshole, and even after dropping a couple early, they thought the switch would flip, and they would start "playing their game." Look at the finger gun salute from Johnny Five Goals Boychuk, and the empty netter from Uglic. Those were the first two games! They thought it was in the bag, and they wanted to humiliate the Habs. Through their hubris, they watched as the series passed them by, and after Pacioretty's goal in game six, they were done like dinner.

Julien is very much to blame.

No adjustments after game six, which saw them looking like the Providence Bruins in the Black and Gold pre season game. "I expect to win-all that crap-we showed (Red Wings) young players what playoff hockey was about."

That's not the talk of champions. That's the talk of a group of arrogant pricks, and it's phenomenal to see then taken down a peg.

Guest Stogey24

That's a real effect. In that great Michael Farber article about the Too Many Men fiasco, Milbury (for all his bad gming and bravado is actually a shrewd, college educated analyst) said something to the effect of "we saw ourselves as the big bad Bruins and believed hype...we saw our reflections in the Stanley Cup."

I have no doubt that the Bruins thought they were the Cat's Asshole, and even after dropping a couple early, they thought the switch would flip, and they would start "playing their game." Look at the finger gun salute from Johnny Five Goals Boychuk, and the empty netter from Uglic. Those were the first two games! They thought it was in the bag, and they wanted to humiliate the Habs. Through their hubris, they watched as the series passed them by, and after Pacioretty's goal in game six, they were done like dinner.

Julien is very much to blame.

No adjustments after game six, which saw them looking like the Providence Bruins in the Black and Gold pre season game. "I expect to win-all that crap-we showed (Red Wings) young players what playoff hockey was about."

That's not the talk of champions. That's the talk of a group of arrogant pricks, and it's phenomenal to see then taken down a peg.

Uglic LOL.

Wonderful post.

Made my heart smile and brought a tear to my eye!

Brought a tear to my eye too. Love is love.

The defining moment for me was when Pacioretty scored that goal in game 6. At that moment I knew we were winning the series (for a few reasons).

3rd most important - The goal was made by Beaulieu's pass... before that I had hoped he was ready and begged for him to be given a chance. Still any rookie in his first playoff game, there is doubt. He erased that doubt, just like Subban did in getting an assist vs Washington in game 6 of 2010. Suddenly the one area of this team (the third pair defence) that was a major weakness that scared the crap out of me before, was no longer that major weakness.

2nd most important- We were in the series and giving Boston all they could handle without Pacioretty scoring. Now Max is a streaky scorer, we know this, he goes on cold streaks and hot streaks. I knew when he scored that one, he'd score again in game 7. The confidence was back, and our goal scorer was ready to light the lamp.

But the #1 reason that play defined the series - Right before that play, Carey Price had made numerous huge stops to keep the lead at 1-0. All series he had been on his game, but with his back to the wall, and in an elimination game, he took it up yet one more notch... Carey was on fire, and you weren't going to beat him on a simple shot, you needed the perfect tip (like Iginla in game 7) or a play where his defence left him hung out to dry. Short of that, you weren't scoring on the guy. He was full on Price Olympic mode, and I knew if we got him 2 goals in any game, Boston couldn't get 2. Knowing we were up two goals in game 6, and feeling that Max was sure to pot one in game 7, i figured, hey we have 60 minutes, for 1 guy, just one guy to find that second goal in game 7.

Great insight Commandant. I also thought we could win this one with a one goal lead.

What an interesting and eclectic group we have here...all drawn to the natural ...nay...quasi divine ..beauty of the game of grace and power on ice played where the heart of the game burns brightest and purest.....Montreal.

I think Game Six was a really important game for this group - not just because it was an elimination game, but because it taught them just how good they are capable of playing. You could almost see them drawing confidence from the shared memory of that performance whenever things got dicey last night. It would not surprise me at all if they continue to refer back to that game whenever they're on the ropes. There is always a moment when a good team comes to understand what it's capable of, and Game Six was it.

One of the nice things about following ChiCuke is that one finds one has nothing to add. Me too Cuke.. it was the confident go-get'em guys who showed up against TB and in game 6 that sealed the deal. I thought we could win in Beantown after this exhilarating feat in game 6. The ghosts were flying.