May 27th, Rangers @ Habs 8 PM

Another point I would like to make: I don't know how many of you have listened to Vigneault after the game, but it was worth watching. He was obviously shaken. Gone was the confidence and the coolness we have witnessed before. I believe that his players share the same mood. Our Habs were playing desperate last night and they were tough as nails. The Rangers know that it will be more of the same Thursday night and it's not what they wanted in the first place. Not at all.

This series is not finished yet

Guest Stogey24

Another point I would like to make: I don't know how many of you have listened to Vigneault after the game, but it was worth watching. He was obviously shaken. Gone was the confidence and the coolness we have witnessed before. I believe that his players share the same mood. Our Habs were playing desperate last night and they were tough as nails. The Rangers know that it will be more of the same Thursday night and it's not what they wanted in the first place. Not at all.

This series is not finished yet

I seriously hope last night was a turning point in this series.

Moore is such a bitch, Beaulie pulled him out of the scrum after the whistle and was shaking his gloves to fight, but of course Moore wouldn't. Then he goes and lays a blind side hit on Weise. I guarantee he gets two games, it was a direct hit to the head. Weise is lucky he was conscious after the hit, or we would have had another Eller incident.

I seriously hope last night was a turning point in this series.

Moore is such a bitch, Beaulie pulled him out of the scrum after the whistle and was shaking his gloves to fight, but of course Moore wouldn't. Then he goes and lays a blind side hit on Weise. I guarantee he gets two games, it was a direct hit to the head. Weise is lucky he was conscious after the hit, or we would have had another Eller incident.

Former referee Stéphane Auger said at the Antichambre that more than two games is a possibility. According to him, it was not a so called late hit, but a deliberate check to the head, which usually deserves stronger action from the league. Of course other factors, like the player's history, will be taken into considerations, but my guess is that we won't see him in this series if it goes to a 7th game.

Guest Stogey24

Former referee Stéphane Auger said at the Antichambre that more than two games is a possibility. According to him, it was not a so called late hit, but a deliberate check to the head, which usually deserves stronger action from the league. Of course other factors, like the player's history, will be taken into considerations, but my guess is that we won't see him in this series if it goes to a 7th game.

Yeah, Prust's hit was more shoulder to chest. Moore was targeting the head. Him and Weise were battling all game, Moore was looking for a kill shot for sure.

Frustrating game. Glad to win.

It started out like a regular season game. We didn't let Lundqvist get comfortable ever. Ran him out of the net by the second. At 4-1 the team just gave up. Subban was trying to show he could dance around their defence. Everyone was flat footed and the Rangers just hammered back into a tie. We're lucky that Bourque was refusing to be denied the win.

The third period was Tokarski's best. He reminds me a lot of James Reimer. He makes the first save but allows a lot of juicy rebounds. We're lucky the Rangers have trouble capitalizing. I would never want to rely on Tokarski for 50+ games but he's a good backup to have. I'd hate to let go of Budaj but one gets the feeling there's no way he's sticking around next season with Tokarski's performance. Unless the Jets fall in love with him (He's a Saskatchewan native) and are willing to take a package for Kane or Wheeler.

Lots of confidence going into game six if we can once again run the King off his throne, but we can never, ever let go of the pressure button.

As for some of the small stories in the game;

Plekanec: Hopefully Gionta talks to him about the embellishments. The next time Plek gets truly sticked we won't get a call.

Vanek: Truly looks injured

Briere: Should still play next game even though his minutes continue to drop.

Beaulieu: Love his slick skating.

Weaver: No way we're re-signing him. I'm betting the New York Islanders toss him $2.5M, or rather they'd be smart to since he's far better than his career has shown.

Eller: We can shut the silly complaints about him down for good. Dale Weise and Rene Bourque were on his wing and he still played good. Pretty much proof that Eller's issues during the season were his own. Going forwards, it's about whether he can make this his average play instead of just a hot streak.

Bourque: He probably has trade value now.

Galchenyuk: Every shift he shows he has all-star skill. He just hasn't put it together yet. He's very close.

I don't think many would be upset if Prust replaced Vanek instead of Bournival. (I know aint happening and likely shouldn't but just saying)

Hope next couple games are as entertaining as that one was. Just toying with NY, give em a bit of hope and pull the rug out from underneath em!

Weise & Briere both 'relatively' ripping it up with 7points with only 10minutes ice/game.

Frickin Bourque actually plays well and can his playoff showing redeem a season of, game after game, shift after shift chasing butterflies?

Who would of thunk it? Hope our enigmatic Metis-Canadian dosent disappear again tomorrow!

Overall, great effort by Habs and got fingers crossed the same team shows up tomorrow! :gohabsgo:

It surprises me that these guys took their foot off the pedal so drastically after the 4-1 lead. You'd think Game Two against Boston would have taught them once and for all the folly of taking leads for granted...and that the absence of Price would have further motivated them to keep hammering, knowing they have a baby in nets. Human nature, I suppose. That they went on and again build up a 3-goal lead probably was, indeed, psychologically important.

One thing about this bunch is that when their backs have been to the wall, they have responded with ferocious resilience. And when they do, they are very, very hard to beat. Still, NY has the last change, and we don't have Price; this is what makes Game Six so worrying.

Machine makes some excellent points. On Eller: what "silly complaints" are you referring to? The guy was a ghost all season. I don't understand how a player can be so utterly lost at sea for about 60 games and then suddenly turn it on in the playoffs. It's not like Bourque, who clearly does not give a crap until the playoffs...Eller appears to care, but also seemed to have no idea what he was doing all year. I think we have to be careful about assuming that he can simply carry this excellent playoff play forward. Hopefully it has now all clicked for him. But given his patterns I would not at all be surprised to find him dazed and confused for long stretches next season.

Weise: he quarreled with Tortellini because he (Weise) believed he had meaningful skills, while Torts wanted him to be strictly a grinder. It looks as though Weise might have been right - he really does seem to be a fourth-liner+, meaning he can slot in on your third line and actually contribute some plays. That pass to spring Bourque was superb. Terrific pick-up by MB.

Galy: he has looked great offensively, really seems to be taking it up a gear in terms of taking the initiative. Or maybe he is just more rested than everyone else. The thing with him is that he seems really weak along the boards. Not that I'm asking him to become Travis Moen, but the difference between his becoming a 60-point "soft" FW and the star he probably will become may just be a little bit of added muscle and physical maturity. But he is really helping us in this series.

That's the thing about the playoffs. Winning teams need different heroes in each series. I do like that different players are stepping up at different times. We're up against the wall, but at least last night opened the door to some hope.

Yes CC the door for hope for the fans is wide open, but more importantly, the door for confidence in their chances is also wide open for the Hab players, no way they mail it in after that game...

Another great showing of the CHaracter this team has, and I don't believe for one minute that this series isn't coming back to MTL for game 7!

Guest Stogey24

It started out like a regular season game. We didn't let Lundqvist get comfortable ever. Ran him out of the net by the second. At 4-1 the team just gave up. Subban was trying to show he could dance around their defence. Everyone was flat footed and the Rangers just hammered back into a tie. We're lucky that Bourque was refusing to be denied the win.

The third period was Tokarski's best. He reminds me a lot of James Reimer. He makes the first save but allows a lot of juicy rebounds. We're lucky the Rangers have trouble capitalizing. I would never want to rely on Tokarski for 50+ games but he's a good backup to have. I'd hate to let go of Budaj but one gets the feeling there's no way he's sticking around next season with Tokarski's performance. Unless the Jets fall in love with him (He's a Saskatchewan native) and are willing to take a package for Kane or Wheeler.

Lots of confidence going into game six if we can once again run the King off his throne, but we can never, ever let go of the pressure button.

Plekanec: Hopefully Gionta talks to him about the embellishments. The next time Plek gets truly sticked we won't get a call.

Weaver: No way we're re-signing him. I'm betting the New York Islanders toss him $2.5M, or rather they'd be smart to since he's far better than his career has shown.

Eller: We can shut the silly complaints about him down for good. Dale Weise and Rene Bourque were on his wing and he still played good. Pretty much proof that Eller's issues during the season were his own. Going forwards, it's about whether he can make this his average play instead of just a hot streak.

Galchenyuk: Every shift he shows he has all-star skill. He just hasn't put it together yet. He's very close.

Weaver can't even make a pass. Yeah, he'll lay his body on the line and I respect that, but he's a plugger for sure.

A small criticism ChiCuke...Machine's posts are technically "machinations".

For game 6 is anybody else shopping for an adult diaper?

On Eller: what "silly complaints" are you referring to?

Sorry, I really meant to say silly defences. People defended his performances by saying it was his linemates. Well now he's been playing with the likes of Bourque, Gionta and Weise and he's still playing great. Clearly it doesn't matter who his linemates are .Commandant made the point that we really need to convert him into a left winger. I say just trade him for a left winger.

I'm on the fence about this one...

Do I call in a waitress to cover for me and shell out the $500+ to go to the game or should I just stay in Connecticut and watch on TV?

Once in a lifetime right?

Or twice in my case as I was there when they beat the Rangers in game 6 of the Wales Conference Finals in 1986.

Might have to go alone since I can't really find anyone to pay up the price of admission.

Help!!!!! :wall:

Agree almost 100% with everything you said.

Regarding Pleks - we NEED to trade him at the Draft to ensure we go in to training camp with Eller and Galchenyuk preparing to centres. In the meantime, Gionta in his last year as captain, needs to get through to Pleks, so the two of them can help us continue this cup run. Regardless, he should NOT be on the PP.

Galchenyuk: He's close, but now has to be given the chance as a centre, otherwise, he is always going to be close, or may end up being converted to a winger, and we'll always be talking about how he COULD have been the big centre.

Bourque, love what he is doing, hopefully he helps us get our 25th cup. But he should be moved in July and should have value now.

Beaulieu should have been playing along with Tinordi in the last 5 games of the regular season.

Briere - i want to keep him in for game 6, but the question is who sits if Weisse is ready to go and Prust available??? Bournival has been terrific with his speed and physical play. Really tough call for MT to make - I really don't know who i'd sit Prust, Bournival or Briere. I'd be leaning towards sitting Bournival over Briere - but not an easy choice to make.

It surprises me that these guys took their foot off the pedal so drastically after the 4-1 lead. You'd think Game Two against Boston would have taught them once and for all the folly of taking leads for granted...and that the absence of Price would have further motivated them to keep hammering, knowing they have a baby in nets. Human nature, I suppose. That they went on and again build up a 3-goal lead probably was, indeed, psychologically important.

One thing about this bunch is that when their backs have been to the wall, they have responded with ferocious resilience. And when they do, they are very, very hard to beat. Still, NY has the last change, and we don't have Price; this is what makes Game Six so worrying.

Machine makes some excellent points. On Eller: what "silly complaints" are you referring to? The guy was a ghost all season. I don't understand how a player can be so utterly lost at sea for about 60 games and then suddenly turn it on in the playoffs. It's not like Bourque, who clearly does not give a crap until the playoffs...Eller appears to care, but also seemed to have no idea what he was doing all year. I think we have to be careful about assuming that he can simply carry this excellent playoff play forward. Hopefully it has now all clicked for him. But given his patterns I would not at all be surprised to find him dazed and confused for long stretches next season.

Weise: he quarreled with Tortellini because he (Weise) believed he had meaningful skills, while Torts wanted him to be strictly a grinder. It looks as though Weise might have been right - he really does seem to be a fourth-liner+, meaning he can slot in on your third line and actually contribute some plays. That pass to spring Bourque was superb. Terrific pick-up by MB.

Galy: he has looked great offensively, really seems to be taking it up a gear in terms of taking the initiative. Or maybe he is just more rested than everyone else. The thing with him is that he seems really weak along the boards. Not that I'm asking him to become Travis Moen, but the difference between his becoming a 60-point "soft" FW and the star he probably will become may just be a little bit of added muscle and physical maturity. But he is really helping us in this series.

That's the thing about the playoffs. Winning teams need different heroes in each series. I do like that different players are stepping up at different times. We're up against the wall, but at least last night opened the door to some hope.

I put a lot of Eller's inconsistency on MT. Eller's a young player, who from his comments last year, is clearly is trying to get confidence in his abilities. For a player in that situation, they do need to be coddled a little to succeed. After the break of up of the EGG line, until closer to the end of the season, he was in a deep fog. He did show signs of breaking out of it, but I think he has been able to build on each successful game in the playoffs.

I don't care if Galchenyuk at 20 isn't strong on the boards. I want him to tear it up offensively, over the next two years, he will start filling out his frame and become stronger once he has added more muscle.

Briere - i want to keep him in for game 6, but the question is who sits if Weisse is ready to go and Prust available??? Bournival has been terrific with his speed and physical play. Really tough call for MT to make - I really don't know who i'd sit Prust, Bournival or Briere. I'd be leaning towards sitting Bournival over Briere - but not an easy choice to make.

If it comes to that, I expect Bournival would sit. Briere's reputation is that of being a clutch playoff performer - he has come up big a couple of times already this postseason despite limited time - so it wouldn't make a ton of sense to sit him in a do-or-die situation. Sitting Briere would also mean that there's no true C on the line (both Bournival/Prust have played C before but hardly any this year). I too like what Bournival has done thus far but since Prust will be playing (Therrien already said so, much to my chagrin), I think the rookie comes out, not Briere.

Weaver can't even make a pass. Yeah, he'll lay his body on the line and I respect that, but he's a plugger for sure.

The rangers speed has exposed Weaver. He was great against a slower bruins team, but for sure, he is not someone who i'd want long-term on our D. I'd be okay with bringing him back as a depth 6/7th dman, if it was for around $1.5M (prefer him to Frankie Boo), but no way i'd lock him up long term. I can see him easily getting $2.5M as a UFA given how many teams are starving on D and how many GM's get stupid with UFA's.

Sorry, I really meant to say silly defences. People defended his performances by saying it was his linemates. Well now he's been playing with the likes of Bourque, Gionta and Weise and he's still playing great. Clearly it doesn't matter who his linemates are .Commandant made the point that we really need to convert him into a left winger. I say just trade him for a left winger.

No way i'd trade Eller. Pleks is the guy i'd be moving in the summer.

This gfycat.com/GrayWelltodoGrasshopper#

Dorsett is a 1st class asshole!!! He clearly was trying to send snow onto the Habs, but instead sent a bunch of snow in that poor kids face.

I really hope he gets at least one game for the headbutt on Weaver.

The rangers speed has exposed Weaver. He was great against a slower bruins team, but for sure, he is not someone who i'd want long-term on our D. I'd be okay with bringing him back as a depth 6/7th dman, if it was for around $1.5M (prefer him to Frankie Boo), but no way i'd lock him up long term. I can see him easily getting $2.5M as a UFA given how many teams are starving on D and how many GM's get stupid with UFA's.

Weaver's career high in salary is $1.1 million (this year). As much as it's a dry UFA market, his size and age (36) will likely preclude him from getting anything in the $2.5 M range. He's looking at a 1 year deal (no one is risking a 35+ contract on him), my guess is around the $1.5 M mark. Weaver has played more playoff games this postseason than the rest of his career combined and has played fairly well so I think - and hope - that there's mutual interest in getting a Bouillon-type of deal (1 year, around $1.5 M) done for him to stick around.

I really hope he gets at least one game for the headbutt on Weaver.

I don't think he's getting a fine let alone a game. After reviewing everything from last night, only Moore got a hearing (which starts in mere minutes).

Weaver's career high in salary is $1.1 million (this year). As much as it's a dry UFA market, his size and age (36) will likely preclude him from getting anything in the $2.5 M range. He's looking at a 1 year deal (no one is risking a 35+ contract on him), my guess is around the $1.5 M mark. Weaver has played more playoff games this postseason than the rest of his career combined and has played fairly well so I think - and hope - that there's mutual interest in getting a Bouillon-type of deal (1 year, around $1.5 M) done for him to stick around.

I don't think he's getting a fine let alone a game. After reviewing everything from last night, only Moore got a hearing (which starts in mere minutes).

I didn't realize he is only getting $1.1M and was over 35. I do think that his play in the postseason will have some GM offer him something in the $2.5M range. I'd have no hesitation offering him $1.5M one year deal. I'd much rather have him back over Bouillon and Murrey.

No way i'd trade Eller. Pleks is the guy i'd be moving in the summer.

Agreed. As much as I like Plex, I think it's time for him to go, while he still has a good value. I think that we've wasted enough of Galchenyuk's time on the wing. The Kid IS the big centreman we've been looking for ever since Damphousse. That' means we have to lose one of Desharnais, Plex or Eller...and I certainly don,t want to see Eller go. I still think that is he's well surrounded he could turn out to be an excellent player (ie: 60+ points per year) As far as Desharnais is concerned, MaxPac is his biggest cheerleader and i wouldn't want to upset our best goal scorer. Also, Desharnais isn't that bad. The Kid has sweet hands and has shown that he call pull his own weight on this team...and that leaves us with Plex. He's the odd man out! He has to be!

I think we could get a 2nd round pick for Plex, and if we package him with Tokarski and a 2nd round pick, you never know what we might be able to land in return? ;) (cough cough Winnipeg is having problems with Kane, cough cough!!!)

Good analysis. I would be willing to offer him a 1 year 1.5 million$ contract. he's earned it...but I wouldn't go any higher or longer. Like you said, he's 35+ and he's not very big. Let's not forget that Tinordi and Beaulieu should be playing many more games next year!

Agreed. As much as I like Plex, I think it's time for him to go, while he still has a good value. I think that we've wasted enough of Galchenyuk's time on the wing. The Kid IS the big centreman we've been looking for ever since Damphousse. That' means we have to lose one of Desharnais, Plex or Eller...and I certainly don,t want to see Eller go. I still think that is he's well surrounded he could turn out to be an excellent player (ie: 60+ points per year) As far as Desharnais is concerned, MaxPac is his biggest cheerleader and i wouldn't want to upset our best goal scorer. Also, Desharnais isn't that bad. The Kid has sweet hands and has shown that he call pull his own weight on this team...and that leaves us with Plex. He's the odd man out! He has to be!

I think we could get a 2nd round pick for Plex, and if we package him with Tokarski and a 2nd round pick, you never know what we might be able to land in return? ;) (cough cough Winnipeg is having problems with Kane, cough cough!!!)

Plex should be able to land much more than a 2nd round pick. Kane is the guy i've been pushing for since October. Pleks, gorges and Moen for Kane and a pick.

I wouldn't move Tokarski. He could be the ideal affordable backup for the next two years.

If MB trades Plek and lets Gio walk at the end of the season, watch for price to get lit up next year. The teams two best defensive forwards gone.

Eller walks into Pleks role. Bournival into Gio's. What we would need to bring in is another veteran to help the team through the peaks and valleys. If we were to move both Pleks and Gorges, I wouldn't be against bring back Gionta for one more year at around $2.5M, as long as it is clear that he is going to be a 3rd/4th liner. But at his age, Gionta is probably going to be looking for more security.