Gorges trade rumour - What/Who do we get from Toronto?

Meller93

meh, just business.

If he needs to be moved to make some other move...so be it, even though Ive got a lot of respect for Gorges and would put the 'C' on him next year if my choice.

I don't like him going to the leafs for another reason other than losing him:

He's exactly what the Leafs need. Their defense is terrible. A hard-working, shot-blocking d-man who makes no mistakes in his own end would improve them 100%. We don't need the Leafs playing better.

i posted in the rumours section as well, but Engels is reporting Gorges expanded teams he is willing to be traded to and is now willing to go to other canadian teams - still not willing to go to Toronto. i hope Winnipeg and Edmonton are on the list!!!

This is going to be a very smart move, because at Gorges age/size, he's really going to start breaking down in the next few years.

He's only 29, but he's already had a knee surgery, and this might be confirmation bias, but he isn't as physical as 2009-2011. He seems to be softer, he doesn't have any real offensive skills, and i'm questionable about his "leadership."

The bottom line is that he's the odd man out. The team has too many left-handed defensemen. They need to swap him out for a right handed defenseman.

On the UFA front, if the Habs choose to sign a dman, my money is on Robidas.

:quebec: :quebec: :quebec:

I 100% agree the time is right to move Gorges. I've been pushing for it since last summer.

There were a lot of people who didn't want to move rivet because of the leadership, grit, defensive ability and shot blocking ability he brought. That sounds an awful lot like gorges. How we'll did that deal work out for us??? We have another opportunity to have someone overpay for a steady defensive dman with good leadership ability. Let's take advantage of it!!!

This is going to be a very smart move, because at Gorges age/size, he's really going to start breaking down in the next few years.

He's only 29, but he's already had a knee surgery, and this might be confirmation bias, but he isn't as physical as 2009-2011. He seems to be softer, he doesn't have any real offensive skills, and i'm questionable about his "leadership."

The bottom line is that he's the odd man out. The team has too many left-handed defensemen. They need to swap him out for a right handed defenseman.

On the UFA front, if the Habs choose to sign a dman, my money is on Robidas.

:quebec: :quebec: :quebec:

i posted in the rumours section as well, but Engels is reporting Gorges expanded teams he is willing to be traded to and is now willing to go to other canadian teams - still not willing to go to Toronto. i hope Winnipeg and Edmonton are on the list!!!

Perfect. Send him and Plex for Byfuglien. I drool at the prospect of Subban & Buff paired together...

It sounds like he's added two Canadian teams...

Montreal - obviously not them since he's there already

Toronto - obviously not them or we'd be talking about a trade already

Ottawa - if he's hesitant to go to one division rival, perhaps he's hesitant to go there

Calgary/Edmonton - laughable situations, not many would want to go there

Winnipeg - compared to CGY/EDM, their situation is wonderful

Vancouver - he's from BC, maybe he'd accept going closer to home

If I'm guessing the teams, it's Vancouver and one of Ottawa/Winnipeg, likely the latter.

Never know about Edmonton. I mean considering some of the young talent they've acquired, IMO, adding two guys like plex and gorges, dumping the "winner" Lowe, and getting a coach who is more effective in getting his team to change their habits than trying to get the heat reporters eating healthier should get them in the playoff mix.

It sounds like he's added two Canadian teams...

Montreal - obviously not them since he's there already

Toronto - obviously not them or we'd be talking about a trade already

Ottawa - if he's hesitant to go to one division rival, perhaps he's hesitant to go there

Calgary/Edmonton - laughable situations, not many would want to go there

Winnipeg - compared to CGY/EDM, their situation is wonderful

Vancouver - he's from BC, maybe he'd accept going closer to home

If I'm guessing the teams, it's Vancouver and one of Ottawa/Winnipeg, likely the latter.

Never know about Edmonton. I mean considering some of the young talent they've acquired, IMO, adding two guys like plex and gorges, dumping the "winner" Lowe, and getting a coach who is more effective in getting his team to change their habits than trying to get the heat reporters eating healthier should get them in the playoff mix.

They're not dumping Lowe and they're keeping Eakins so expect more of the same from Edmonton. That doesn't make them a desirable destination and both Gorges and Plekanec would have to agree. I doubt either would let alone both.

Eakins will be fired this year if they don't make the playoffs, in which case I can't see Lowe sticking around. If they don't get in the playoffs, there will be a massive fan revolt.

Hanging said that, I think they are a playoff team if they can get a shutdown centre and some veteran presence on the blue line. They need someone to take away the tough matchups from RNH and avoid having the new kid they drafted having the pressure of being thrown in as a 18 year old centre the way gagner was.

They're not dumping Lowe and they're keeping Eakins so expect more of the same from Edmonton. That doesn't make them a desirable destination and both Gorges and Plekanec would have to agree. I doubt either would let alone both.

Eakins will be fired this year if they don't make the playoffs, in which case I can't see Lowe sticking around. If they don't get in the playoffs, there will be a massive fan revolt.

Hanging said that, I think they are a playoff team if they can get a shutdown centre and some veteran presence on the blue line. They need someone to take away the tough matchups from RNH and avoid having the new kid they drafted having the pressure of being thrown in as a 18 year old centre the way gagner was.

The owner worships the ground that Lowe walks on. It's going to take more than another playoff miss for him to go. Eakins maybe.

I don't disagree that Plekanec/Gorges would be players that Edmonton would want/need. But I don't see either of them wanting/needing Edmonton.

So, what has Gorges tied to the hip of Pleks? Talking about trading him and Pleks together now? I haven't heard that rumour....
Buff shoots right, and is a big improvement in most ways to Gorges, I agree, but throwing Pleks and Gorges for Buff makes sense?
Not from my GM wannabe chair.... :huh:

I wouldn't move them both for Buff, but Kane is the guy is target from the jets.

So, what has Gorges tied to the hip of Pleks? Talking about trading him and Pleks together now? I haven't heard that rumour....

Buff shoots right, and is a big improvement in most ways to Gorges, I agree, but throwing Pleks and Gorges for Buff makes sense?

Not from my GM wannabe chair.... :huh:

So far, MB has not done anything to make me question his ability to move this team forward in a good way, I'm sure the idea of trading anyone outside Subban, Price, Galchenyuk and Gallagher is an ever open possibility in our front office. Did he wake up one morning and say "hmm i'm trading Georges", i'm sure he didn't. Fact is he probably was approached by an offer that was quite good by the Leafs, a few pieces were moved around, and we wound up with a possible Lupul for Georges scenario.

Lupul may be injury prone, but were talking about a recent all star, and a player who shows up and plays with character every game, his only downfall is his injury prone status. However after acquiring Parenteau earlier, and possibly landing a guy like Lupul, were bigger and deeper at the forward position already. So we have some breathing room to withstand a few injuries up front, but when this group would be healthy, we are talking about a machine that will be running full tilt, 3 lines of top 6 type hockey. And replacing Georges Leadership and veteran status with a guy like Boyle for 2 seasons until one of Tinordi, Beaulieu, or Pateryn are ready to assume the top 4 positions really doesn't scream HORRIBLE at me.

We are clogged up the most in Defense, the 3 kids can't stay bottled up in the stands or Hamilton forever, and all 3 are NHL material and ready to break in full time any day. It seems like the solution to getting bigger and deeper up front, is to trade from the back end, while signing bigger free agents and releasing smaller players. Parenteau is bigger than Briere, Lupul is a bigger forward coming in. Everything is leading to Bigger forwards coming in. If everything that has happened and rumored took place the team so far would look something like this

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Lupul

Gallagher - Plekanec - Galchenyuk

Parenteau - Eller - Bourque

Weise - Prust - Bournival

Subban - Boyle

Markov - Emelin

Tinordi - Beaulieu

We're talking now, about 18 players on the ice, and only 4 of them are under 6 foot. based on where this team has been for years with its size, i'd say this problem is being addressed and fixed at a pretty solid pace by Bergevin. The guy has a plan, and the plan involves things most of our fanbase has been screaming for, for years. So anyone crying over the politics of a Georges trade, really needs to realize that to acquire assets(in our case, bigger forwards), you need to trade assets(in our case, expendable top 4/5 d-men), It is as simple as that.

So far, MB has not done anything to make me question his ability to move this team forward in a good way, I'm sure the idea of trading anyone outside Subban, Price, Galchenyuk and Gallagher is an ever open possibility in our front office. Did he wake up one morning and say "hmm i'm trading Georges", i'm sure he didn't. Fact is he probably was approached by an offer that was quite good by the Leafs, a few pieces were moved around, and we wound up with a possible Lupul for Georges scenario.

That would go against what's being reported though. Gorges is being shopped for cap space and Lupul makes a fair bit more than he does. I suppose the Leafs could pay part of his salary to take Montreal's payment to Lupul to under $3.9 million but then they'd be in effect paying over $5.25 to Gorges which doesn't make a lot of sense. Unless there's another player going Toronto's way in this currently-blocked deal, I don't think Lupul's involved.

Also lupul might have Montreal on his no trade list himself, meaning it could just be another dead end.

If Toronto is offering a significant forward as rumoured, it's someone they know they can move. That could mean one of three players to me:

- Kadri. He'd be about a million in savings but give Montreal more options in future deals.

- Freddie Gauthier. Doubtful. Leaf fans are big time hopeful in Freddie being the second coming of Vincent Damphousse for them.

- JVR (his modified NTC does not kick in for two more years. Way too good for just Gorges but maybe Toronto is willing to negotiate. He was allegedly available for teams willing to give a top three pick in the draft)

I'm thinking Kadri. Unless it was something dreadful like throwing Tyler Biggs in.

I can't see Georges commanding Kadri in return, and I can't see Georges being considered for trade by MB if all we get is Kulemin in return. Bob McKenzie has already confirmed it's Georges for a forward, and based on my thought process, Lupul does seem like the trade that makes sense from a Hockey stand point.

Who else can we realistically get for Georges, that wouldn't make us look stupid? We have to believe Toronto's offer is what really opened MB to the thought of trading Georges and not cap woe's which we currently are not plagued with. We actually have one of the better cap situations going into free agency even if Subban gets big money we have spare cash to make a few solid moves.

Also lupul might have Montreal on his no trade list himself, meaning it could just be another dead end.

If Toronto is offering a significant forward as rumoured, it's someone they know they can move. That could mean one of three players to me:

- Kadri. He'd be about a million in savings but give Montreal more options in future deals.

- Freddie Gauthier. Doubtful. Leaf fans are big time hopeful in Freddie being the second coming of Vincent Damphousse for them.

- JVR (his modified NTC does not kick in for two more years. Way too good for just Gorges but maybe Toronto is willing to negotiate. He was allegedly available for teams willing to give a top three pick in the draft)

I'm thinking Kadri. Unless it was something dreadful like throwing Tyler Biggs in.

I get the Aura around the Kadri option, he grew up a hab fan, is in Carlyle's doghouse, but objectively speaking, no way is Georges worth Kadri, we would need to raise that with a solid pick or prospect. And the next point to be made about kadri is, he is coming off a bridge contract next summer, so whatever cap space you save this season, gets blown to bits with a 12 ga. next summer when he commands a 5 million+ price tag and produces like he deserves one, because he is capable.

We are taking about a franchise that traded courtnell for john freakinh kordic.

Common sense says Toronto would never give us Kadri for Gorges.

But Toronto has their President speaking to Josh Gorges to agree to this trade. They want him very, very badly.