Proposed 2014-2015 Lineup

JGC21

Can Prust stay relatively healthy and play 65-70 games this year?

Many seem to think he is fragile now and will be hurt again/often.

If his injury problems were actually his obliques, as they were reported? I say yes. If the injuries and missed time were mostly from his shoulders, then no. He's still only 30 years old. He doesn't have the durability or play the type of game to reach a 1000 game career, but he should be able to finish out his deal and play 110-140 games.

If his injury problems were actually his obliques, as they were reported? I say yes. If the injuries and missed time were mostly from his shoulders, then no. He's still only 30 years old. He doesn't have the durability or play the type of game to reach a 1000 game career, but he should be able to finish out his deal and play 110-140 games.

Exactly, shoulder injuries from fighting are hard to get rid of, surgery or not. When you're 6' and fighting guys 6'4" that are stronger than you, the pulling from below takes it's toll. Just re-watched the documentary on enforcers, with Nilan, and he talks about the wear and tear on the shoulders when you're not 6'4"...

Let's hope for the oblique problem to be all better!

I would suggest that Prust needs to tone down the fighting this year, give himself a chance to play 70 games. If he continues to take on all comers, he will need the doctor on speed dial.

I tend to agree, but the fact that the team has a dearth of fighters suggests that he will end up fighting more, rather than less. Prust and Moen in particular had better hope Tinordi cracks the lineup and takes a regular shift - I no longer have faith that either of those guys can handle a whole lot of pugilistic duties over the course of a season.

I tend to agree, but the fact that the team has a dearth of fighters suggests that he will end up fighting more, rather than less. Prust and Moen in particular had better hope Tinordi cracks the lineup and takes a regular shift - I no longer have faith that either of those guys can handle a whole lot of pugilistic duties over the course of a season.

Yeah I meant to mention Moen in there cause he is done as a fighter imo. We will have thrower and crisp to draw on, no?

Yeah I meant to mention Moen in there cause he is done as a fighter imo. We will have thrower and crisp to draw on, no?

Thrower is still hurt and from the sounds of things, isn't in the best of shape at the moment (as a result of this injury). I wouldn't be counting on him in Montreal this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Because its fun to toot your own horn, below is my post from July 3rd when I started this topic:

<So with all the signings, trades, and potential prospects - what does the 2014-15 Canadiens lineup look like today?

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Parenteau

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher

Bourque - Eller - Sekac

Prust - Malhotra - Weise

Markov - Subban

Emelin - Gilbert

Tinordi - Weaver

Price

Budaj

Extras: Moen, Bournival, Beaulieu>

Subtract Budaj for Tokarski and I'm pretty close to what opening day will look like ?

Because its fun to toot your own horn, below is my post from July 3rd when I started this topic:

<So with all the signings, trades, and potential prospects - what does the 2014-15 Canadiens lineup look like today?

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Parenteau

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher

Bourque - Eller - Sekac

Prust - Malhotra - Weise

Markov - Subban

Emelin - Gilbert

Tinordi - Weaver

Price

Budaj

Extras: Moen, Bournival, Beaulieu>

Subtract Budaj for Tokarski and I'm pretty close to what opening day will look like

Good job dude..

42pts in 62 playoff games isn't too shabby. He also is playing opposition top line shutdown & PK role at same time.

Are worse players to have than Tomas in the playoffs.

Pleks line did shut down the B's top line..Tomas just doesn't get the respect that he deserves roun here. when you're mentioned in the same breath as Patrice Bergeron, you're doing something right. he's not quite PB caliber, but he's darned good for us!

• Upvote 3

And Plekanics game disappears every spring.

I've maligned Pleks in the past for the same disappearing in the playoffs, and he has admitted himself that he hasn't played up to par. Depending on him for the offense too is just not realistic, that's not his game. Everyone expecting offense out of him, when his team mates really should be the ones scoring as well. He has more than done his job as Don eluded to, on the PK and vs top players, and in my mind has done a fantastic job at it. Without his stellar defensive/shadowing play, there would have been no upsets in 2010, and probably very little playoff success last year either.

You need more than one center playing hard in the playoffs, and Habs really haven't had much offense in the series they have lost in Plek's tenure with the club.

If Habs were more balanced(like this year), we all wouldn't be blaming Plekanec for the team's playoff woes... but commending us for keeping us close, since we have had zero offense when it counts, like losing 1-0 last game last year....

• Upvote 1

It all comes back to Plekanec saying he was playing "like a little girl" back in, oh, 2008 (?). That was actually a gutsy act of calling himself out, but of course it fixed in the mind of certain members of the fan-base for all time the idea that he is a bad playoff performer. Sure, he's had stronger and weaker series, like most players do who have played in lots of series. But to focus on bad penalties against the Rags while forgetting all about the series where he shut down Crosby or Ovechkin or Kreijic is just blinkered absurdity. Like I always say, any team in hockey would be happy to add Plekanec to their core, and only Montreal Canadiens fans seem not to know it.

• Upvote 4

It all comes back to Plekanec saying he was playing "like a little girl" back in, oh, 2008 (?). That was actually a gutsy act of calling himself out, but of course it fixed in the mind of certain members of the fan-base for all time the idea that he is a bad playoff performer. Sure, he's had stronger and weaker series, like most players do who have played in lots of series. But to focus on bad penalties against the Rags while forgetting all about the series where he shut down Crosby or Ovechkin or Kreijic is just blinkered absurdity. Like I always say, any team in hockey would be happy to add Plekanec to their core, and only Montreal Canadiens fans seem not to know it.

The treatment of Plekanec and Moen has been pretty clear proof to me that Habs fans (and likely a lot of hockey fans) have zero understanding of the importance of defensive play by forwards. Heck, it goes all the way to the NHL where they tend to give the Frank Selke trophy not to the best defensive forward but the best superstar with hustle. Jonathan Toews has hustle but he isn't superior to Plekeanec when it comes to shutting an opposing forward down. That hustle goes toward being a potential MVP candidate, not a defensive forward award winner.

A lot of people wanted Plekanec replaced by Eller just because Eller checks more (I think Eller gets dragged through the mud here on his defensive play. I think he was pretty sound in 12-13 defensively. Last season was a disaster for him on both ends of the ice) and not because Eller could handle Plekanec's job. A lot of people here are crying for the jettisoning of Travis Moen as if he has nothing to contribute to the team. Prust brings more in five on five hockey but only Plekanec can kill a penalty at forward better than Moen. Any team with PK troubles would see Moen as an important cog to add, similar to how we saw Malhotra's faceoff ability.

But eh. Maybe I overvalue it similar to how many of us overvalued Gorges shot blocking.

Good post, Machine. I think the case of Moen is complicated by his decline as a fighter, which removes one important arrow from his quiver, by his inflated salary, and by the emergence of Weise as a younger, faster version of that type of player. But in general terms you are correct. (I never liked this deployment of the Selke to reward defensively responsible star players either. Bob Gainey would never win it under current criteria - Jacques Lemaire would; yet it was created to acknowledge the contributions Bob Gainey helped to define).

I wouldn't have any issues with Moen, if he had actually been used as a 4th liner by Martin and MT. What frustrates me about Moen, his how often he's been put on the top two lines, or has been given PP time. The other issue I have with him is how for a big guy, he just does not consistently play a physical game. Back when Gainey was playing a defensive game, he was a physically punishing player to play against.

Now, I think he is also slowed down and how many 4th liners do we need???

The treatment of Plekanec and Moen has been pretty clear proof to me that Habs fans (and likely a lot of hockey fans) have zero understanding of the importance of defensive play by forwards. Heck, it goes all the way to the NHL where they tend to give the Frank Selke trophy not to the best defensive forward but the best superstar with hustle. Jonathan Toews has hustle but he isn't superior to Plekeanec when it comes to shutting an opposing forward down. That hustle goes toward being a potential MVP candidate, not a defensive forward award winner.

A lot of people wanted Plekanec replaced by Eller just because Eller checks more (I think Eller gets dragged through the mud here on his defensive play. I think he was pretty sound in 12-13 defensively. Last season was a disaster for him on both ends of the ice) and not because Eller could handle Plekanec's job. A lot of people here are crying for the jettisoning of Travis Moen as if he has nothing to contribute to the team. Prust brings more in five on five hockey but only Plekanec can kill a penalty at forward better than Moen. Any team with PK troubles would see Moen as an important cog to add, similar to how we saw Malhotra's faceoff ability.

But eh. Maybe I overvalue it similar to how many of us overvalued Gorges shot blocking.