2015 NHL Draft thread

Commandant

Who determines whether the player qualifies as ready though? You're going to have NHL teams pushing for the player to be granted entry while others won't want him to. It's a touchy enough issue at the junior level (there was a bit of a contentious one in the QMJHL just a couple of weeks ago) let alone with 30 NHL teams pushing various agendas.

Exactly who determines the exceptional status? It'll be shoddy as soon as one "exceptional" guy doesn't pan out and everyone questions the descision making. Let the NHL teams determine if the guy is ready at 18 as it is now (Though I admit Edmonton had a hard time figuring out Draisaitl).

Like MOLG said maybe the draft lotto could still use some tweaking.

Another way of looking at it would be to call it developing young hockey players another year. Every year there's a certain amount of bitching about this pick or that pick..don't you think NHL teams would have a better idea of said player at 19 rather than 18? Regardless, it's not like our opinion matters anyway..It's not like we're proposing a new law to Bettman. So fk it

Very little info about who interviewed with who has trickled out but it sounds like Dennis Yan talked with Montreal. That puts the running tally at two confirmed and two who very likely did.

All changing the age would do is ensure the CHL gets to take advantage of teenagers for another year. It would probably chase some prospects out of Canada and into the USHL.

Gotta disagree. how many 18 year old players from the draft actually play in the NHL in their draft year?? If they are CHL players, they can't be sent to the minors as an option, so by default, they go back to junior anyways.

On the other hand, by changing the draft age to 19, teams would have the additional year to asses players. I still think that the Crosby/Seth Jones type of players should still be allowed to jump to the NHL. I think if you restricted drafting 18 year olds to the first round, those players that are more likely ready to get a shot to play, will be drafted, while those that aren't ready would be drafted at 19.

I noticed an interesting "Pick Value Chart" (by a Dom Luszczyszyn) posted on Hockeybuzz, Columbus Blue Jacket blog by Todd Cordell.

It gives a probability for each teams picks to play 200 NHL games; Habs are 27th overall for this draft with only 5 picks, but 26th pick is still good value and given 40% chance of 200game+ career.

But as you say the rest of pick are long shots;

probabilities of 0.18, 0.11, 0.09 & 0.03

Or trade down for two 2nd's is always an option, especially if one of numerous teams with several 2nd's sees who they really want still available at 26

Say Sabres really want one more jumbo d-man like a Brandon Carlo at 26 and might give up their 31&43rd picks to Habs.

So if I am interpreting this correctly, it is like trading 40% on one kid; for 36% + 26% on their two 2nd slots

and Sabres likely would prefer to trade picks 31 & 51 for 26; 36% and 17% instead. Which is fairer swap?

It seems trading down flops more than not (no real stats to back it), but still should be quality prospects in 2nd round this year for sure, so maybe be a smart way to go? .

dlbalr mentioned Yan & one other interviewed by Habs, I see Daniel Sprong was interviewed by Habs and Timmins was pleased.

They also hinted Timmins favourite is Brock Boeser, which seems a smart choice.

I watched Sprong "shift video" from one game and I never saw as much coasting and total lack of defense by a forward since Cammalleri was with Habs.

And was funny that they said he possibly could have had attitude issue (a bit full of himself) and I immediately thought of a Dutch version of Reway.

Ton of skill but...

Brandon Carlo from world junior video seemed spitting image of Tinordi as a junior; tall lanky american kid that can skate well "for his size", even rushes a bit, cant pass/move puck well and will never be a PP QB; but super wingspan smoothers opponents and solid physical defensive d-man.

Seems Anthony Beauvillier is popular Hab pick in mock drafting. But am sure vast majority of HabFans would be pissed if take a 5'10" centre; no matter that he had 42g 94pts.

But, if find draft mostly/somewhat boring, why would you bother even looking at thread if not interested? And Lovett said he is even going to attend, which seems very odd if is as fun as watching paint dry?

But is a big event I suppose and maybe he can bend Bergevin's ear and explain to him how dumb it was to sign Petry? :nuts:

Maybe...I know where the player's and coach's garage is.

The draft is a great event to go to, but in general the draft isn't much fun for American fans period, because junior hockey isn't televised much.

But getting back to my original post, this thread was started a week after last year's draft. I have a hard time getting my head around how much some enjoy it.

Or trade down for two 2nd's is always an option, especially if one of numerous teams with several 2nd's sees who they really want still available at 26

Say Sabres really want one more jumbo d-man like a Brandon Carlo at 26 and might give up their 31&43rd picks to Habs.

So if I am interpreting this correctly, it is like trading 40% on one kid; for 36% + 26% on their two 2nd slots

and Sabres likely would prefer to trade picks 31 & 51 for 26; 36% and 17% instead. Which is fairer swap?

It seems trading down flops more than not (no real stats to back it), but still should be quality prospects in 2nd round this year for sure, so maybe be a smart way to go? .

I would do that in a heartbeat.

LM,

In states, the NCAA- NFL combine/draft is fairly huge deal for football, so could say is Canadian equivalent (but no where near as intense, typically in more laid back Canadian way).

2016 NHL draft prospects are being talked about, have been since last summer and no doubt will be rankings come out in july for them.

Many top draft prospects play every Aug at Ivan Hlinka and draft junkies "need to know" before then, exactly who is supposed to shine. :nuts:

I would guess many (most?) Habfans feel exact same as you do and not real 'excited' on whole draft deal.

LM,

In states, the NCAA- NFL combine/draft is fairly huge deal for football, so could say is Canadian equivalent (but no where near as intense, typically in more laid back Canadian way).

2016 NHL draft prospects are being talked about, have been since last summer and no doubt will be rankings come out in july for them.

Many top draft prospects play every Aug at Ivan Hlinka and draft junkies "need to know" before then, exactly who is supposed to shine. :nuts:

I would guess many (most?) Habfans feel exact same as you do and not real 'excited' on whole draft deal.

It would be different for me if I could watch more junior hockey, I've only even seen someone as big as McDavid play four or five games.

Seemed a bit quick for full list to be posted. But I still assumed it was, not that really matters, just more curious than anything at 'actual present weight/height' vs the varying sizes from various mock drafts/rankings.

This Twitter feed has 30 or so of the official heights/weights/body fat % if you scroll down for a bit: https://twitter.com/scoutingservice

Also, some good news for those who like to follow the second day, Sportsnet One has picked up the coverage (in large part since NHL Network Canada is a TSN property and is going out of business in September).

good to hear don't have to add NHL network simply for draft.

Might Travis Konecny of 67s' still be available and be a 'steal' at 26, because only is 5'9.5"?

Never seen him play.

Might Travis Konecny of 67s' still be available and be a 'steal' at 26, because only is 5'9.5"?

Never seen him play.

My guess is that despite his size, he'll still be gone before the Habs pick. He has the skillset to be a top six player in the NHL and plays with a similar drive as Gallagher. The fact that he hasn't had a big offensive year in junior may scare the odd team off but I can't see him falling much further than 20th.

He is very good player, many have him in teens.

I just noticed McKenzie has him 15th or others had him 7, 11, 13, 15, 12, 11, 23 (THN), 26 (Cox), 30 (Malloy), 30+ (Button).

Guryanov seems to have really shot up rankings and seems Russian factor not as big a deal this year?

Guryanov seems to have really shot up rankings and seems Russian factor not as big a deal this year?

The KHL's struggles likely have a lot to do with that. Right now, it's not perceived as the threat it was even last year.

Stop everything. We get our guy.

Hayden McCool.

That's it. It's over.

Believe it or not, if the Habs take him, it won't be the first time they take a player whose last name is McCool.

Believe it or not, if the Habs take him, it won't be the first time they take a player whose last name is McCool.

Holy fawk !! Gimme a minute, have to change my "favorite Habs" in my profile.

• Upvote 2