Tokarski, Moen on trading block?

ICEWATER77

Budaj is more likely to actually clear waivers if sent down. Tokarski's a 24 year old prospect that most teams would want in their organization if they could get him for free.

Nobody actually needs a backup goaltender at present. Brodeur is still a capable backup and has no contract yet. There's a lot of second-tier goaltending available. Budaj is not a prospect - you're not building for the future if you grab him, you're building for now. Tokarski is a future NHL starter, even as small as he is.

My suggestion, send Budaj down. When he clears waivers, trade Tokarski, who now has some value. Get some picks out of him -- montreal won't need a starting goaltender for a while. Then bring Budaj back up and business as usual.

Wow. How soon people forget. Tokarski was amazing during the playoffs. He only let in one goal to lose that last game!!

He will be a number one goalie if he is traded. Look what happened with the Toronto Argos. They traded backup Collarous

to Hamilton and he has worked out okay.......he was player of the week once.

That is not hockey, but he was great when the Argos starter was hurt for many weeks.

If Tokarski had gone all the way to the finals and even helped win a cup, there would be no trade talk.

He earned the job of backup last spring and did good this year in pre-season.

Wow. How soon people forget. Tokarski was amazing during the playoffs. He only let in one goal to lose that last game!!

He will be a number one goalie if he is traded. Look what happened with the Toronto Argos. They traded backup Collarous

to Hamilton and he has worked out okay.......he was player of the week once.

That is not hockey, but he was great when the Argos starter was hurt for many weeks.

If Tokarski had gone all the way to the finals and even helped win a cup, there would be no trade talk.

He earned the job of backup last spring and did good this year in pre-season.

Agreed. This is why he needs to be traded. Montreal will not need a number one goaltender for quite a few years yet - at least four, as Carey Price is signed that long. So that gives two reasons to trade Tokarski: (1) He is going to excel as a backup and will deserve a shot at number 1 somewhere, and (2) By the time Carey Price is ready to leave (and that could be his retirement), Fucale should already be a competent starting goaltender in the NHL. Where's the room for a guy like Tokarski? Elsewhere. Doesn't need to happen this year, certainly. Both Montreal and Dustin could benefit from having him as a backup for a bit. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't test the market. We currently have one too many backups, and we don't want to lose Tokarski to waivers with nothing in return.

Budaj is more likely to actually clear waivers if sent down. Tokarski's a 24 year old prospect that most teams would want in their organization if they could get him for free.

Nobody actually needs a backup goaltender at present. Brodeur is still a capable backup and has no contract yet. There's a lot of second-tier goaltending available. Budaj is not a prospect - you're not building for the future if you grab him, you're building for now. Tokarski is a future NHL starter, even as small as he is.

My suggestion, send Budaj down. When he clears waivers, trade Tokarski, who now has some value. Get some picks out of him -- montreal won't need a starting goaltender for a while. Then bring Budaj back up and business as usual.

I agree with your post except for the trade Tokarski part. We need a good solid backup, which he can be for the next 2 years. Then once we have built up his value it will time to trade him. We will get a lot more for him using him as a backup for 2 years then right now. Budaij everybody knows what he can do. So send him down and if a trade happens so be it. Otherwise we still have him on the farm for that "just in case".

You are calling yakapov not being a character player based on how he's been handled by the 2nd most inept team in the league?????

If Edmonton asked for our all of our character guys - Prust, moen, Weisse, malhotra AND Tokarski and a 2nd rounder, in exchange for yakapov, i'd make that deal without blinking.

Each one of those character guys is easily replaceable.

It would take atleast a first round pick to get Yakapov. If M.B is truly after character players, then he wouldn't go after Yakapov

You are calling yakapov not being a character player based on how he's been handled by the 2nd most inept team in the league?????

If Edmonton asked for our all of our character guys - Prust, moen, Weisse, malhotra AND Tokarski and a 2nd rounder, in exchange for yakapov, i'd make that deal without blinking.

Each one of those character guys is easily replaceable.

I might not like the exact details(I want to keep Prust), but yeah, I have to agree, hard to question a young player's character if you have even seen a picture of Dallas Eakins :thumbs_up:

I agree with your post except for the trade Tokarski part. We need a good solid backup, which he can be for the next 2 years. Then once we have built up his value it will time to trade him. We will get a lot more for him using him as a backup for 2 years then right now. Budaij everybody knows what he can do. So send him down and if a trade happens so be it. Otherwise we still have him on the farm for that "just in case".

Even if Tokarski establishes himself as a legitimate NHL backup, there still isn't going to be much in the way of trade interest though. Who trades for a backup goalie nowadays? Backup goalies almost always come from in the system or via unrestricted free agency. It's not that Budaj has big value either (he doesn't), it's that backups or players who project as such aren't valuable in trades when somewhat comparable players are available for free elsewhere or are already in the system. Tokarski's value two years from now playing 15-20 games as a backup to Price probably won't be all that much different than it is now (low vs low).

Even if Tokarski establishes himself as a legitimate NHL backup, there still isn't going to be much in the way of trade interest though. Who trades for a backup goalie nowadays? Backup goalies almost always come from in the system or via unrestricted free agency. It's not that Budaj has big value either (he doesn't), it's that backups or players who project as such aren't valuable in trades when somewhat comparable players are available for free elsewhere or are already in the system. Tokarski's value two years from now playing 15-20 games as a backup to Price probably won't be all that much different than it is now (low vs low).

You could be right, but there was a backup in Van that had a lot of interest, then there was that guy in LA so it does happen.

Who trades for a backup goalie nowadays?

The only exception to the rule is Colorado trading a second round pick for Reto Berra. Of course, the Briere/Parenteau trade should be considered when recognizing that the Sakic era of the Colorado Avalanche has included some seriously boneheaded moves.

Edmonton trading for Scrivens is because Scrivens looks like he could be a platoon for them along with Fasth. Scrivens is also a local boy. Hence my suggestion of maybe Tokarski to Winnipeg if the Jets ever cared about improving their team.

Of course, the Briere/Parenteau trade should be considered when recognizing that the Sakic era of the Colorado Avalanche has included some seriously boneheaded moves.

While on paper this looks true, the jury doesn't decide the verdict until after the trial, not before it. We'll see how Briere and Parenteau perform on their respective new teams.

Ill go back to Markström again. He is younger, bigger and have won a gold at the World Championships. He was the best goalie in the SHL the year before going to North America. Id take him any day before Tokarski. Markström was available for free on waivers and noone picked him. That certainly means noone will give any assets up for Tokarski either.

Ill go back to Markström again. He is younger, bigger and have won a gold at the World Championships. He was the best goalie in the SHL the year before going to North America. Id take him any day before Tokarski. Markström was available for free on waivers and noone picked him. That certainly means noone will give any assets up for Tokarski either.

Markstrom had a contract that teams didn't want to touch.

I agree with that. You can get guys like Antii Raanta or Anton Khudobin for free during free agency.

Not really, though it does feel like Moen could be moved.

If they don't plan on playing Moen on opening night, they should trade him out of respect. I would take him on a fourth line with Derek MacKenzie and Shawn Thornton in FL in a heartbeat.

Back to Moen, is the Bowman signing a prelude to a trade involving Moen or Bournival?

I doubt it. Bowman will probably be on waivers in the near future to try to get him to Hamilton which won't affect Moen/Bournival.

So if price gets hurt you guy's would rather go with Budaj? Not a chance, nothing wrong with Tokarski at all. The guy played great in the playoff's and deserves to stay. 15 to 20 could mean a playoff spot so why would we give it to budaj just because hey he knows his role. NO THANKS!!!!!

I think Tokarski is better goalie, Budaj seemed to give up some very soft goals when he started.

But a back-up has to ready to sit and be cheerleader most nights and can Tokarski do that as well?

Tokarski wins the backup job. Budaj goes on waivers and gets picked up by another team.

Habs need Moen, especially early on in the season. He can ride the pine until an injury happens. I don't really see any trades happening before the season starts.

I'm sure Tokarski can cheerlead as well, considering how much his pay would go up getting Price's Gatorade for him 60+ games a year.... :thumbs_up:

I think they will send Tokarski down. Extremely unlikely he'll be claimed. Then you have Budaj as your backup playing a few games. If Price gets hurt they can call up Tokarski and use whoever looks better.

Budaj is better suited to being in the dressing room and not playing. Tokarski benefits more from playing for Hamilton.

The only thing pointing the other way is the incredible number of back-to-back games we have this season.

I may be mistaken but I think we'll see the end result of who gets waived tomorrow. Teams have to be at a max of 23 players and cap-compliant by Tuesday at 5 PM EST so whichever (if either) of the goalies is to be sent down, they'll need to be waived Monday afternoon to be off the roster by Tuesday's deadline.