Bowman in contract talks, then gets cut, then signed, then waived

C-Love

Drayson Bowman was in contract talks this afternoon, and since then has been cut!, I'm assuming he wanted a one way deal, and MB told him to take a hike. Some weird, seems like he may need a new agent.

Drayson Bowman was in contract talks this afternoon, and since then has been cut!, I'm assuming he wanted a one way deal, and MB told him to take a hike. Some weird, seems like he may need a new agent.

It probably wasn't quite that hostile. I'm sure Bowman had quite a few two-way offers during the offseason so assuming that the Habs wouldn't offer him a one-way pact (a logical assumption), he now has to decide whether to go overseas or take a two-way deal from someone. If he decides to take a two-way pact, he can probably go back to some of those teams who made him offseason TW offers and try to secure some more guaranteed money.

(The Habs historically have been particularly stingy when it comes to handing out pricey AHL contracts, they generally give out one a year at most and Joey MacDonald's already on one.)

I was just going to ask if it was common to cut a player from a pto, and then sign him after he maybe checked out other opportunities? Kinda like a "here's our offer, if you don't sign somewhere, give us a call.."

He's had an outstanding training camp/tryout.

Bowman is young (25), and has amassed an unimpressive 15 goals, 18 assists, and a -8 in 176 games seeing limited ice time with a rather shitty Carolina team.

His best season saw him score 6 goals, 7 assists in 37 games and manage to be a +2. He's playing better than that in training camp right now.

Dale Weise taught me to take past performance of fourth liners with a grain of salt. I have no idea how previous coaches used him, or how effective he might be under a different system. I think, based on what I've seen so far, that he will have a decent career as a competent NHL 4th liner. He'd be the type of guy that would replace Moen or Prust if they were hurt. heck, he would probably outperform Bourque at this point, unless Bourque rediscovers his Calgary Flames form this year. Bowman would probably do it for close to the league minimum salary, though, making him far better.

Is it worth it? Yes... if we have a place for him. He's impressed me so far.

Signing Bouillon also gives Habs more depth, but many are complaining at just the thought of it happening. :nuts:

In the case of Bouillon, I feel that the time has come to give a chance to the youngsters. Having Bouillon in the line up is not a step forward.