Are shootout goals counted in a players stats?

REV-G

I know what I said sounds like a contradiction.... but its highly unlikely that the shoot out sticks around.

Bettman said this year that he loves it, he knows NHL fans love it, they might tinker with overtime but there's no returning to ties and there will never be shootout in the playoffs.

I know what I said sounds like a contradiction.... but its highly unlikely that the shoot out sticks around.

I firmly believe that there will be some changes to the game in the future to allow more games to end in OT.

But I also believe that the shootouts are here to stay.

Ties ? Disgusting outcome. Leave it for soccer/football where fans "love" to spend 2 hours watching a game without a winner.

In a sport like hockey, 20 minutes OT like they use in Playoffs is not an option. Injuries would go up big time, insurances cost would go up big time. The level of hockey would go down every week due to fatigue.

At one point, the games have to stop.

Shootouts are perfect as they are. But they come too soon (IMO).

My suggestion is basically a longer OT 4 on 4. 10 minutes instead of 5. Then, shootouts.

If the league wants to try 3 on 3, I'd be ok with it as well.

Fun clip, but play is dead due to the fight. You can't win a fight, pick up your stick and score a goal. You can, however, score a goal in the shootout. The point of hockey is to score more goals than your opponents. Missing that fact is why people just shrug at fights and scoff at shootouts.

(1) I hate the shootout. I preferred ties. But I accept it's here to stay, and there it is.

(2) I don't understand the Montreal Canadiens shootouts -- we don't use our best goalscorers.

Let's look at shootout stats for the last two years, as well as the 2 shootouts this year (goals:attempts) -

David Desharnais: 8:13

Lars Eller: 4:6
Alex Galchenyuk: 4:13

Brendan Gallagher: 2:7

Andrei Markov: 1:1

P.A. Parenteau: 1:2

Daniel Briere: 1:3

Max Pacioretty: 0:1

Thomas Vanek 0:1

Rene Bourque: 0:1

Michael Ryder: 0:1

Brian Gionta: 0:2

Tomas Plekanec: 0:5

Why does our overall top goalscorer only have a single shootout attempt in 2+ years?

Why does PK Subban - whom I've never seen miss a scoring chance when given the opportunity to be alone with a goaltender - not used once in the shootout?

I can understand using Desharnais in 13 shootouts - he seems to do well in them. Why continue using Galchenyuk? He has not had success.

Why do we continue to use Plekanec in the shootout? He hasn't scored once in the shootout in 2+ years.

(1) I hate the shootout. I preferred ties. But I accept it's here to stay, and there it is.

(2) I don't understand the Montreal Canadiens shootouts -- we don't use our best goalscorers.

Let's look at shootout stats for the last two years, as well as the 2 shootouts this year (goals:attempts) -

David Desharnais: 8:13

Lars Eller: 4:6

Alex Galchenyuk: 4:13

Brendan Gallagher: 2:7

Andrei Markov: 1:1

P.A. Parenteau: 1:2

Daniel Briere: 1:3

Max Pacioretty: 0:1

Thomas Vanek 0:1

Rene Bourque: 0:1

Michael Ryder: 0:1

Brian Gionta: 0:2

Tomas Plekanec: 0:5

Why does our overall top goalscorer only have a single shootout attempt in 2+ years?

Why does PK Subban - whom I've never seen miss a scoring chance when given the opportunity to be alone with a goaltender - not used once in the shootout?

I can understand using Desharnais in 13 shootouts - he seems to do well in them. Why continue using Galchenyuk? He has not had success.

Why do we continue to use Plekanec in the shootout? He hasn't scored once in the shootout in 2+ years.

Interesting stats. I never realized that Patches and Suuby were left out. Le Genius must have a plan.

Galchenyuk is always a threat in shootouts. I believe his % will only improve over the next seasons.

Hell, look at how Galchenyuk plays around the net, his dekes, his shot, etc, then look to me in the eyes and swear that you want to stop using him in shootouts.

• Upvote 1

Galchenyuk is always a threat in shootouts. I believe his % will only improve over the next seasons.

Hell, look at how Galchenyuk plays around the net, his dekes, his shot, etc, then look to me in the eyes and swear that you want to stop using him in shootouts.

He's also young, he can get better.

The fact that a guy with a 31% shooting percentage in the shootout over the last two seasons is tied for our top number of shootout attempts by a wide margin is still concerning.

Subban is far more dangerous around the net than anybody else on this team, and yet he's never taken a shootout attempt in the same time.

Guest Stogey24

Just watched that round table with Seguin, Giroux, Tavares and they all said if they had one thing they'd change about the game it would be changing the shootout to 3 on 3 instead.

Well whether we like it or not. the shoot out is a part of the game. I think we should be keeping stats on this and that it should count. If you score on a penalty shot which is basically the same thing it counts towards your stats.

Shoot outS are only part of regular season games. Play off games are the most important, most exciting, and most expensive games of every season. One thing that is not allowed to be "part of the game" during this.......the shoot out.

That tells one all they need to know about the shoot out.

Shoot outS are only part of regular season games. Play off games are the most important, most exciting, and most expensive games of every season. One thing that is not allowed to be "part of the game" during this.......the shoot out.

That tells one all they need to know about the shoot out.

Playoffs are a whole new and different season. To get there the shoot out is a very important part. I don't like it but that is the way it is. As I have said let's get rid of the loser point and it will become less often.

Once again, we omit Subban in the shootout.

We won last night, but not due to our great shooters, but due to Carey Price being unbeatable on the other side.

Desharnais failed (which is irrelevant; given his record in the shootout, you had to use him)

Galchenyuk failed (so far he's kinda futile in shootouts, despite a lot of attempts.)

Parenteau succeeded. I love this guy.

What's the problem sending Subban in alone on net? He always delivers.

I agree with you Jeff. We used to send Sheldon Souray in on the shoot out. Do you remember the time he faked a slap shot, the goalie had a heart attack and sheldon tapped it in? Funniest thing I ever saw. I bet PK could pull that off. Who the fork wants to get hit by that cannon?

I agree with you Jeff. We used to send Sheldon Souray in on the shoot out. Do you remember the time he faked a slap shot, the goalie had a heart attack and sheldon tapped it in? Funniest thing I ever saw. I bet PK could pull that off. Who the fork wants to get hit by that cannon?

That was against Raycroft!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAOSF5BGmLU

Some great chatter in here!

Thanks to Rev for starting the convo.

The silly 3 point system won't be going anywhere any time soon for one reason.

It keeps so many teams in the playoff hunt till the end of the year. Owners crave the money they can earn at the gate late in February, March and April.

That was against Raycroft!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAOSF5BGmLU

Some great chatter in here!

Thanks to Rev for starting the convo.

The silly 3 point system won't be going anywhere any time soon for one reason.

It keeps so many teams in the playoff hunt till the end of the year. Owners crave the money they can earn at the gate late in February, March and April.

And I laugh yet again. :rofl: