The Powerplay

Of course it can - they can start allowing SHG's at a more regular rate. If you want size in front of the net, put Eller there. At least he has the talent to play on the PP unlike Tangradi.

Have been trying talented group of 5 and how is that working out? They pass the puck around sweetly, look great and firing hard shots, off the glass and wide of net; however are putting few pucks actually behind goalies.

So if you want Eller in front, I am all for that also, as I said before a different strategy would be nice to start, but if is a Prust-Tangradi-Weise also fine by me.

Have been trying talented group of 5 and how is that working out? They pass the puck around sweetly, look great and firing hard shots, off the glass and wide of net; however are putting few pucks actually behind goalies.

So if you want Eller in front, I am all for that also, as I said before a different strategy would be nice to start, but if is a Prust-Tangradi-Weise also fine by me.

I hear that. The max, dd followed by pleks gally will get the odd tick tac toe goal. But they are getting completely shut down 19 outta 20 powerplays. Zaps momentum, gets home fans booing, gives other team confidence. Change is long over due. Coaching staff gets ripped (not for mouse of a powerplay) as much as not reacting/changing the mouse of a powerplay.

Not sure of the stats anymore.....but is the pp still worst on the road in the nhl ?

We all know the PP should be better than it is, I'm thinking that it's going to start to click.

Do agree with the DD and Plek 1-2 isn't getting it done, need some net hunger out there on the PP, and yes, utilize PK's skillz some more...

So PK rarely rushes the puck, does not pinch, stopped hitting. But he's playing the way they want him too.

Good Job

25-year old defender who is still learning. A lot. So they reign him in a little after a tough start to the season. And are slowly allowing to spool out as he makes better and better decisions. Just because one earns a huge contract and has a great season does not mean one knows it or nor that one is godly at his job. In a lot of respects, Subban is still raw. As he puts things together - and defenders take years to find all their tools and how they properly work together - we'll see all the Subban we want. And more.

25-year old defender who is still learning. A lot. So they reign him in a little after a tough start to the season. And are slowly allowing to spool out as he makes better and better decisions. Just because one earns a huge contract and has a great season does not mean one knows it or nor that one is godly at his job. In a lot of respects, Subban is still raw. As he puts things together - and defenders take years to find all their tools and how they properly work together - we'll see all the Subban we want. And more.

Let's hope that is true and it does sound very logical. I hope last night is the beginning of us seeing the real PK.

• 3 years later...

AHHH here is an old thread from 4 years ago with the same issue.  THE BLOODY POWER PLAY!

4 years later and the power play is still garbage and it has been more often then not ever since we changed to a RH one timer...  ever since PK's intial success to start his career it has fluttered no matter who is in that spot! (PK/ weber/ petry) (markov/drouin) when the F are they gonna replace that RH one timer option to a lefty permanently! As long as our QB is a lefty  (now Drouin) coming from the left side... the one timer need to be a lefty... the only righty should be the guy coming out of the left corner for tap in's in close, one timers, screens and walking out from the corner and half wall....

Gallagher R (L. side corner/ boards)   2nd unit Shaw R

-walk off the boards and corners

-one timer

-screens/tips

-shot from the slot

-corner battles

-net presence

Domi L (down low)  2nd unit Hudon L

-behind the net

-setup man

-net presence

-one timer

-screens/tips

-shot from the slot

-corner battles

Tatar L (R.side corner/boards) 2nd unit Kotkaniemi L

-walk off the boards/corners

-one timer

-back door assist

-shot from the slot

-corner battles

-net presence

Drouin L (L side point QUARTERBACK) 2nd unit Mete L

-the default QB and starting point of the PP

-back door play

Reilly L (right side  point) 2nd unit Atturi L

-one timer from right side

- decoy to open up slots and board play and cross ice seems

this is the biggest issue i believe as entries into zone has improved drastically!

we can brush this off as not the problem but 4 years later and all the player changes and still the PP struggles... 

Petry is what he has always been: a second-pairing D-man who is capable of performing well in a top-pairing role for a limited period of time, before he reverts back to his normal level.

4 hours ago, DON said:

Petry 7th in d-scoring, tied 13th in PPpoints and he isnt listed here? You kidding?

Correct he is not listed here. Why would he be? if im advocating for a change to the set up and PP strategy. Of course unless you want him to play in Gallagher's spot out of the left corner/half wall.

With that said, on the PP Petry does find him self down low to the left half wall sometimes to fire off the one timer... but considering he has to rotate there from his starting point on the right point just furthers the case of drouin staying on the left wall witha righty down low to band the side of the net and a lefty to feed for one timers at the right point instead of petry and the wall (Tatar and Kotky.)

ALso, this rotation/ flip by petry now takes away the natural one timer that gallagher can position for up and down the lower wall and out from the side of the net with puck is working along the right wall with petry domi and Tatar  

this simple theory is tried and tested by the best PP more often then not over the years... and it refers to where ever the QB sets up and who his options are for one timers... 

At the end of the day regardless of zone entries etc.. until this fundamental change is implemented of where the QB sets up from on the PP and who he sets up and how they shoot... the PP will continue to falter.

5 hours ago, Scott462 said:

These stats aside, do you think Petry has been effective on the PP as of late?

Last season he was highly effective on the PP. 

Its not Petry that is the problem on this PP. 

It is the lack of someone in the Kovalev/Cammalleri/Galchenyuk spot... taking one timers at the top of the right circle. 

Put someone in that spot who can score and suddenly Petry is way more effective doing it from the left circle and Drouin at the top of the umbrella has a ton of options. 

After Weber's injury, The PP was excellent last season.  It was the only bright spot the team had.  It was a top 5 PP in the NHL in the second half of the season, and that was with Petry at the point.  So he can be very effective.  

The issue is that shot in the right-hand circle.  And unless they fix that, and find someone to shoot like Galchenyuk did last year (I nominate Tatar to get a look there) it won't matter even with Weber back.  I'd switch Tatar (down low right now) and Domi (currently in that spot).  

You really need those dual one-timer threats.  One threat is not enough and teams will just shade to take away Petry and until they can get someone on the other side, its not effective for that reason. 

40 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Last season he was highly effective on the PP. 

Its not Petry that is the problem on this PP. 

It is the lack of someone in the Kovalev/Cammalleri/Galchenyuk spot... taking one timers at the top of the right circle. 

Put someone in that spot who can score and suddenly Petry is way more effective doing it from the left circle and Drouin at the top of the umbrella has a ton of options. 

After Weber's injury, The PP was excellent last season.  It was the only bright spot the team had.  It was a top 5 PP in the NHL in the second half of the season, and that was with Petry at the point.  So he can be very effective.  

The issue is that shot in the right-hand circle.  And unless they fix that, and find someone to shoot like Galchenyuk did last year (I nominate Tatar to get a look there) it won't matter even with Weber back.  I'd switch Tatar (down low right now) and Domi (currently in that spot).  

You really need those dual one-timer threats.  One threat is not enough and teams will just shade to take away Petry and until they can get someone on the other side, its not effective for that reason. 

Very interesting take.

Would help if a Petry could hit the net more often, which is my only criticism of him on the PP right now.

1 hour ago, Scott462 said:

Very interesting take.

Would help if a Petry could hit the net more often, which is my only criticism of him on the PP right now.

Less room to get his shot off and needing to be more precise to get it on net is related to the problem