The Powerplay

so we are saying the same thing as we want tatar and domi switching spots... outside the fact we play an overload more so that switches to an umbrella when petry flips with drouin. 

i just dont want my Right defencemen playing the left circle one timer in the umbrella and would prefer gallagher to be that guy in order to give more then just the one timer option as he can walk the puck off the boards, take the one timer, find a seam and catch domi on the back door, crash the net, or go down low behind the net when the unit is in movement.

think

stamkos (R) on the left 

hedman (L) top of the UMB       

kucherov (L) right side

miller (L) slot

point (L) low

ovechkin (R) on the left

carlson (R) top of the UMB

backstrom (L) right side

oshie (L)

Kuznetsov (L)

if petry sets up on the left side giving us the one dimensitional option of a one timer (which by all accounts is not that effective of a one timer) then our QB or top of the umbrella should be a righty... its pretty simple stuff. our player choice is the issue. just because we put a a couple good weeks together at the end of last season doesnt mean the powerplay is fixed cause it isnt.

look  at pittsburghs and toronto powerplays another beast year in year out... 

kessel (R) left circle/ boards
letang (L) QB top of umbrella

malkin (L) left boards

crosby (L) high slot

guenzel (L) right corner

mathews (L) Left circle/ boards

reilly (L) QB

Marner (R) right circle boards

tavares (L) high slot

kadri (L) down low

shall i mention Boston who has the same principals as the teams above?

our umbrella doesnt work because Petry is the top of the umbrella with 2 lefties flanking him and he is one dimensional on the PP only looking to shoot the puck rather then set up the shot and drouin is best coming off the wall. so who gets replaced? drouin or Petry? thats the issue

the more i watch the top powerplay units in hockey the more i believe this.

• 1 month later...

I don't get it. 

Domi, Drouin, Kotkaniemi, and Petry have incredible vision and passing skills.

Weber has a slapshot that either goes in or injures the player that dares try to block it.

Gallagher is a tenacious net-front presence who pests pucks into the net.

Byron has speed for zone entries and puck retrieval.

They have the tools and skills - why do they lack confidence and results?

I don't ####ing get it.

4 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I don't get it. 

Domi, Drouin, Kotkaniemi, and Petry have incredible vision and passing skills.

Weber has a slapshot that either goes in or injures the player that dares try to block it.

Gallagher is a tenacious net-front presence who pests pucks into the net.

Byron has speed for zone entries and puck retrieval.

They have the tools and skills - why do they lack confidence and results?

I don't ####ing get it.

Great post. One missing piece might be a bona-fide sniper - someone with the sneaky/soft hands to reliably put in rebounds, or unleash devastating wristers from the slot, etc..  We subtracted two guys of that profile in MaxPac/Galy. But I suspect the real problem is mental.

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Great post. One missing piece might be a bona-fide sniper - someone with the sneaky/soft hands to reliably put in rebounds, or unleash devastating wristers from the slot, etc..  We subtracted two guys of that profile in MaxPac/Galy. But I suspect the real problem is mental.

PP just are odd?

I remember when Crosby-Mailkin-Gonchar-Letang and X couldn't score on the PP, so not sure if is personal or structure or overcoaching or ??

At this point they may need to re think the entire PP structure. 

Get innovative and work the setups down low and behind the net instead of the standard 1-3-1 that most teams are using. 

The way the Swiss set up their PP in the World Juniors was innovative and effective.  We've also seen college teams going with this new setup. 

Things can't get any worse for the Habs doing standard things. 

Here is an interesting article on it. 

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/canucks-have-already-used-similar-tactics-to-switzerland-s-world-junior-power-play-1.23564814

Surely there are endless different things they can try, Muller and Descharmes don't seem like dummies and sooner or later they must be able to find a winning formula...and in a non-contending year, try something outside the box : like go with 5 forwards or 3 d-men, put Weber in front of net (If memory is correct, Bowman had Serge Savard do that when PP sucked). 

But, team is doing quite well given how horrible the PP is.:spamafote:

1 hour ago, DON said:

Surely there are endless different things they can try, Muller and Descharmes don't seem like dummies and sooner or later they must be able to find a winning formula...and in a non-contending year, try something outside the box : like go with 5 forwards or 3 d-men, put Weber in front of net (If memory is correct, Bowman had Serge Savard do that when PP sucked). 

But, team is doing quite well given how horrible the PP is.:spamafote:

Cowboys fan? Still kind of mad at them for knocking out the hawks. 

kRPQRdO.png

Notes:

- Weber is in the Ovechkin/Stamkos Spot doing the same job they do.

- Petry and Drouin need to mix up actually one timing and faking one timers for passes to the man on the opposite half wall for a one timer.

- Domi needs to be ready for One timers coming from Petry, and look for opportunities to dish it to Weber or put it out front for Gally.

- Gallagher just needs to do what he always does, and as long as everyone else is doing what I suggested, everyone of they're scoring chances also becomes his secondary scoring chance or a tip

They need to run this setup for a solid 4 to 5 games without wavering, play them the bulk of the PP 1:20 - 1:30, have them mix it up as suggested, but a constant barrage of scoring threats should come from this type of setup. Everyone is in a position to succeed, couple guys can do zone entries, Weber is harder to cover from that spot, and those around him are all acting as a dual threat with either one timer passes or shots, Gallagher is a dual threat for tip ins and taping one in from the crease.

On 12/01/2019 at 8:09 AM, Link67 said:

kRPQRdO.png

Notes:

- Weber is in the Ovechkin/Stamkos Spot doing the same job they do.

- Petry and Drouin need to mix up actually one timing and faking one timers for passes to the man on the opposite half wall for a one timer.

- Domi needs to be ready for One timers coming from Petry, and look for opportunities to dish it to Weber or put it out front for Gally.

- Gallagher just needs to do what he always does, and as long as everyone else is doing what I suggested, everyone of they're scoring chances also becomes his secondary scoring chance or a tip

They need to run this setup for a solid 4 to 5 games without wavering, play them the bulk of the PP 1:20 - 1:30, have them mix it up as suggested, but a constant barrage of scoring threats should come from this type of setup. Everyone is in a position to succeed, couple guys can do zone entries, Weber is harder to cover from that spot, and those around him are all acting as a dual threat with either one timer passes or shots, Gallagher is a dual threat for tip ins and taping one in from the crease.

Good thoughts. Drouin on the point makes sense too; his shiftiness and excellent passing skills mean he should be a wild card for the opposing D (assuming he can resist trying to skate around the whole team, or pass the puck behind him ?). But how is his one-timer?

Galley had a nice bit last night on how teams don't fear any other shot from the Habs' PP, so all the attention is focused on stifling Weber. It was the same with Subban. This is probably a big part of the problem. But maybe Drouin can use the point spot as a pivot for surprising moves and bold passes, disrupting the D in a different way.