Dec. 20, Sens vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

subban galchenyuk pacioretty

markov gonchar

Give it a thought and by thought i mean a good half hour of in game action to get it going. Subban can surely play on the left boards on the PP and patches can play the other side, with galchenyuk in-between them. That would be a ridiculously talented group. Then you add those 2 grizzly russians who secretly envy tommy gilbert's hair and you got yourself a top 5 PP. I just think MT still hasn't given markov and gonchar enough in game minutes so far to really establish themselves because he's constantly having to get PK his minutes. Simply add him to the 1st line and really put all eggs in one basket so to speak on the PP... it will work... there is 3 one timers on the ice with gachenyuk down low in the right corner and markov up top on the left point. MT has to envision how well this could work...

Also, the pens power play went from top 5 when MT joined to questionably 20th when he got fired at the exact same time gonchar was injured missed the first 60 games of the season... hmmm

hmmmm ..... by same token adding gonchar rocketed the habs powerplay up i guess. NOPE

I really like Pleks. and I don' t look at him too critically but just value his two way play, skating, work ethic and just about all aspects of his game. At times he has seemed the clear leader on the team, but at this point its so nice to see the guys who are standing up to get it done, like Yukyuk and others. He has less of a team load on his shoulders now. And a Hab all the way along. Glad to have him.

Pleks like DD the old adage applies "less is more"

I wouldn't argue that Gonchar is the saviour of the PP. Clearly he isn't. My claim is more that he's been, in the main, a pretty useful acquisition in general terms. He's nothing great, but he does make a lot of quietly smart plays, relying on savvy and experience in place of his lost speed and quickness (not unlike Markov).

A PP anchored by Subban and Markov really shouldn't need a whole lot of extra help on the backend anyway. Honestly, I don't know what the problem is with it. Maybe Therrien is indeed doing something wrong. But my guess is that with the Galy line emerging as a bona-fide, classic #1 line, we may well start to see more goals going in when we have the man advantage.

Well that was a pretty good game. Would be nice to see them come out guns blazing but they always seem to get going in the 2nd and 3rd. Maybe that is the plan, take it easy in the first then load up for bear. I know that sound crazy but they do it damn near every game. Galchenyuk, Patches, Gallagher, Markov, Subban. That is more talent than most teams have in their entire system. Our power play has got to be better. Who do we fire over that first goal? MT? SW? Who? just kidding. a bad bounce that Carey was a little too casual on. It sure seemed to wake him up. Our first goal was a work of art by comparison. Well it's off to the see the Island next. They have been showing signs of life, might be a good game. Who knows? :habslogo:

I have tremendous respect for Plekanec, but JCPetit is right that playmaking is the weakest aspect of his game.

No doubt.. I don't really know and didn't offer the thoughts as a rebuttal attempt, but rather just to express my respect for this lifelong Hab.

I wouldn't argue that Gonchar is the saviour of the PP. Clearly he isn't. My claim is more that he's been, in the main, a pretty useful acquisition in general terms. He's nothing great, but he does make a lot of quietly smart plays, relying on savvy and experience in place of his lost speed and quickness (not unlike Markov).

A PP anchored by Subban and Markov really shouldn't need a whole lot of extra help on the backend anyway. Honestly, I don't know what the problem is with it. Maybe Therrien is indeed doing something wrong. But my guess is that with the Galy line emerging as a bona-fide, classic #1 line, we may well start to see more goals going in when we have the man advantage.

You would think so. However Andrighetti had more powerplay time than Chucky, Max or Gally did last night. DD led all forwards in that category. Big line did click for one.

Tokarski must of chuckled, seeing Beaulieu give up breakaway on Price. Was a common occurrence in Hamilton past 2 years with Beaulieu on the ice.

But most want him up with Habs and allow him to learn from mistakes, which may work out in long run?

He is still (always will be?) weak in own end and still showing ziltch offense, so bit of liability out there, even in sheltered protected minutes.

How soon will Weaver/Allen be ready to return? :ph34r:

Tokarski must of chuckled, seeing Beaulieu give up breakaway on Price. Was a common occurrence in Hamilton past 2 years with Beaulieu on the ice.

But most want him up with Habs and allow him to learn from mistakes, which may work out in long run?

He is still (always will be?) weak in own end and still showing ziltch offense, so bit of liability out there, even in sheltered protected minutes.

Get ready to be flamed, my friend :rofl: Beaulieu, like all Habs' young players, is by definition ready to play significant NHL minutes and the only thing holding him back from endless success is irrational Habs' management that wants to crush the development of its young talent.

Get ready to be flamed, my friend :rofl: Beaulieu, like all Habs' young players, is by definition ready to play significant NHL minutes and the only thing holding him back from endless success is irrational Habs' management that wants to crush the development of its young talent.

Hahahaaha

As 30/31 says.. half the fun around here are the disagreements!

Beauilue can play on third pair no problem. Playing the new guy with weakest D of the other five is an odd and ill advised way to usher your prospect into the nhl. NB will just have to contend with that. Never witnessed another hab coach put the call up with the likes of a Gilbert or a Weaver. As has been stated before.......Robinson, Chelly, Desjardins, Markov always took the new kid under their wing. Taught and covered up at the same time. Remember Kommy? Would like to see how it would work with Markov and NB. Put Subban with the stiff Beauilue always gets. Like MT likes to say "all about the balance"

Tokarski wont be "chuckling" as hard at NB as he is when he catches highlites of Josh Gorges. The ex hab vet scored three lone goals on the poor kid one play off series against rangers last year. (btw that series is when MB likely make up his mind on Gorges once and for all.

But NB is going to be a top four dman on the habs for years to come. Long after the the likes of gonchar, gilbert and weaver are forgotten.

Hahahaaha

As 30/31 says.. half the fun around here are the disagreements!

you know it Donny!

I know CC...don't care, is simply my opinion.

Seems vast majority are all for him getting experience with Habs, learning on the fly and will argue 'all d-men make mistakes', 'he is better than Gilbert/Gonchar/Weaver', 'cant learn in AHL', etc and maybe are correct?

I just don't see any improvement at all since 2 years ago and the odd flash of his top-notch puck skills and superior skating (forward skating) looks fine and is tantalizing, but not helping team pucking pucks in net one bit, nor helping Price on back end, when "Defensemen" are primarily supposed to be able to defend.

Am curious, exactly what does he do better now than he showed as a rookie?

Seems vast majority are all for him getting experience with Habs, learning on the fly and will argue 'all d-men make mistakes', 'he is better than Gilbert/Gonchar/Weaver', 'cant learn in AHL', etc and maybe are correct?

I just don't see any improvement at all since 2 years ago and the odd flash of his top-notch puck skills and superior skating (forward skating) looks fine and is tantalizing, but not helping team pucking pucks in net one bit, nor helping Price on back end, when "Defensemen" are primarily supposed to be able to defend.

well you mentioned the errant pass last night................that took all of one second. he played 11 minutes, what do you think he was doing during the other 10:59 if he was not helping price?

NB as a defense will improve over time. Heck this team has patients so he will likely get that time. Chucky was given 150 games just to get ready for his natural position, and he was destined for stardom according to the organization. NB has had what forty games, used sparingly with the likes of Gilbert for a partner. You will like him one day Don.

I accept that players have weaknesses. It's doubtful that Beaulieu will ever be a rock-solid defender in his own end. His potential is as a fast-skating top-4 puck-mover helping the transition game, offering a good PP presence, and generally adding offence. My sense - not based on close, detailed observation so much as general impressions - is that he's serviceable at the puck-moving part, but so far, that's all he's brought to the table. If I wanted to be uncharitable, I would point out that Rafael Diaz made more of an impact when he came up (although Diaz was significantly older than the Grate One is now).

Frankly, I like the way he is being brought along. Eased in, given sheltered minutes, asked simply to figure out the NHL game. Sounds wise to me.

I accept that players have weaknesses. It's doubtful that Beaulieu will ever be a rock-solid defender in his own end. His potential is as a fast-skating top-4 puck-mover helping the transition game, offering a good PP presence, and generally adding offence. My sense - not based on close, detailed observation so much as general impressions - is that he's serviceable at the puck-moving part, but so far, that's all he's brought to the table. If I wanted to be uncharitable, I would point out that Rafael Diaz made more of an impact when he came up (although Diaz was significantly older than the Grate One is now).

Frankly, I like the way he is being brought along. Eased in, given sheltered minutes, asked simply to figure out the NHL game. Sounds wise to me.

Yes, there is no rush. Far as his own end goes, well no he is not projected to be a stay at home rock solid dman..............but guys like gonchar, karlsson, schnieder, and coffey made pretty good careers out of being "top heavy" in the offense and a tad shallow the other way.

Guest Stogey24

What are you talking about? Beaulieu has looked good out there. He's young, mistakes will happen. I've really noticed an improvement in his game. He's doing the smalls things much better. I find it pretty funny you never say anything bad about space cadet Emelin and his nightly turnovers.

Both remain stashed on IR but they apparently have both received clearance to play. (By keeping them on IR, they're covering themselves in case one suffers a setback, a new 7-day window wouldn't have to start then.)

What are you talking about? Beaulieu has looked good out there. He's young, mistakes will happen. I've really noticed an improvement in his game. He's doing the smalls things much better. I find it pretty funny you never say anything bad about space cadet Emelin and his nightly turnovers.

He has shown some improvement. His skating is ok, I think he tries to make the big play and it blows up in his face sometimes. The description that CC gave is right on and it reminds me of a guy we used to call breeze by. Pretty good on offence, resembled a pylon on defence. Nate who only thinks he is great needs to learn defence. I think he can better learn that in Montreal with Markov than in Hamilton with Pateryn.

Cam Fowler used to be absolutely terrible in his own end. I'm talking worse than Sheldon Souray when Jason Spezza was on the ice. He did not show in his first seasons that he was going to be an NHL defenceman for long, let alone a top four or number one.

Experience, training and being allowed to fail changed that. The Ducks worked with him constantly to make him a better D-Man and eventually he became very reliable in his own end. Even when he played in Windsor he got bailed out by Ryan Ellis all of the time because he constantly lost track of the puck. Anaheim took raw talent and turned it into refined skill.

Habs can do the same with Beaulieu if they just be patient.

He has shown some improvement. His skating is ok, I think he tries to make the big play and it blows up in his face sometimes. The description that CC gave is right on and it reminds me of a guy we used to call breeze by. Pretty good on offence, resembled a pylon on defence. Nate who only thinks he is great needs to learn defence. I think he can better learn that in Montreal with Markov than in Hamilton with Pateryn.

Funny you bring up Brisebois. I was going to say that I can see him becoming a Brisebois-ish, 2nd-tier offensive defenceman. But I refrained on the grounds that that would cause outrage. Fact is, though, Breezer was a legitimate second-pairing puck-moving d-man, and that could prove a realistic prognosis for the Grate One...although it'd be nice if he becomes more than that, i.e., a legitimate #2 after Subban.

Agree with what you are saying, but I don't think the coaches in Hamilton or Montreal are up to the task. Wouldn't it be great if Robinson was interested in coming here abd we actually wanted him?

Cam Fowler used to be absolutely terrible in his own end. I'm talking worse than Sheldon Souray when Jason Spezza was on the ice. He did not show in his first seasons that he was going to be an NHL defenceman for long, let alone a top four or number one.

Experience, training and being allowed to fail changed that. The Ducks worked with him constantly to make him a better D-Man and eventually he became very reliable in his own end. Even when he played in Windsor he got bailed out by Ryan Ellis all of the time because he constantly lost track of the puck. Anaheim took raw talent and turned it into refined skill.

Habs can do the same with Beaulieu if they just be patient.

Speaking of pylons, who else laughed their ass off at Karlsson during the Galchenyuk goal?

Mr Galchenyuk is going to do that to a lot more defencemen in the future.

Funny you bring up Brisebois. I was going to say that I can see him becoming a Brisebois-ish, 2nd-tier offensive defenceman. But I refrained on the grounds that that would cause outrage. Fact is, though, Breezer was a legitimate second-pairing puck-moving d-man, and that could prove a realistic prognosis for the Grate One...although it'd be nice if he becomes more than that, i.e., a legitimate #2 after Subban.

My thoughts exactly.

He is hot right now, so it would be foolish to make assumptions, but if Galchenyuk can have a breakout season and become what everyone wants, this team is a #3 defenseman away from being a perrenial contender. I would say a lot of us can see this, and know that it must be filled from within. (Barring an MB trade miracle) Beaulieu and Tinordi are the options in the system projected to make that step. Unfortunately, neither of them are forcing Therrien or Bergevin's decision making proccess. 30/31 brings up a good point on new defensemen. Often times, young defensemen are paired with the top d, to help them learn the game, as well as cover weakness. Hamilton did not look good in Boston for two years, and is just now starting to show his value. He played with Chara for those two years. Can you imagine how bad he would have looked on the bottom pairing? It is still a tough call and worthy of debate, because neither of these guys have given me a reason they should play above Murray.