Pacioretty for Captain

Davehab

I just read David Stubb's newest article and thought wow ... the choice is simple now.

I predict that he will officially be named Captain before the start of the next season, In reverence to our future leader I have changed my Avatar.

• Upvote 1

I was a skeptic before this season - and his public campaign for the captaincy did not impress me. However, he has become a truly complete player and an absolute key for this team, every single night. By contrast, after an early-season explosion, Pleks has reverted to his usual Steady Eddie self, but his overall importance seems to be diminishing a bit relative to other guys, such as the Gal(l)ys; and Subban has had a lukewarm season by Subbanatorial standards. And Markov doesn't want the job. In short, of the four "A"-wearers, only Patches has really raised his game and his stature in response. If he keeps this up all season, he should certainly get the "C," because he's the one who earned it.

• Upvote 1

Here's what I want:

Montreal announces that the captain of the team is Carey Price. The four A's stay the same. The only change is that instead of Pacioretty and Subban switching home and road it's Plekanec and Markov that switch home and road. Patches and Subban are A's for every game.

If Montreal wins the Stanley Cup? Carey Price will be engraved as CAPT. He doesn't have to wear a letter or talk to the referees on calls. He's the captain and everyone knows it. He can add a letter to his mask like Luongo did but that's up to him. If the Habs win the Cup, Carey is captain. If a call has to be disputed on the ice, one of the alternates can do it.

I don't feel Pacioretty or Subban are better candidates for leader of the team when Carey Price is the heart of the club.

I agree that Carey is one of the leaders on the team, but I just cant get over a goalie as captain. Call me old fashioned, but it just wouldn't feel right in Montreal to break that tradition.

Here's what I want:

Montreal announces that the captain of the team is Carey Price. The four A's stay the same. The only change is that instead of Pacioretty and Subban switching home and road it's Plekanec and Markov that switch home and road. Patches and Subban are A's for every game.

If Montreal wins the Stanley Cup? Carey Price will be engraved as CAPT. He doesn't have to wear a letter or talk to the referees on calls. He's the captain and everyone knows it. He can add a letter to his mask like Luongo did but that's up to him. If the Habs win the Cup, Carey is captain. If a call has to be disputed on the ice, one of the alternates can do it.

I don't feel Pacioretty or Subban are better candidates for leader of the team when Carey Price is the heart of the club.

Let's not spoil a good thing, yes, Carey is the defacto leader of the team. But he does not need the added distraction of being the captain. Every thing that goes wrong will now be his fault. Just look at what happened to Luongo in Vancouver. The last thing you want is the goaltender having to admit that the defence is not good enough (for example). I think Patches would make a good Captain but I worry about the dynamics between him and Subban.They both want it and are both very proud guys. Galchenyuk or Gallagher will be ready soon, maybe one of them. Or let's just keep the 4 alternate captains. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Here's what I want:

goalies as a captain? nah.

Let's not spoil a good thing, yes, Carey is the defacto leader of the team. But he does not need the added distraction of being the captain. Every thing that goes wrong will now be his fault. Just look at what happened to Luongo in Vancouver. The last thing you want is the goaltender having to admit that the defence is not good enough (for example). I think Patches would make a good Captain but I worry about the dynamics between him and Subban.They both want it and are both very proud guys. Galchenyuk or Gallagher will be ready soon, maybe one of them. Or let's just keep the 4 alternate captains. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Bang on. I will only add that the players should vote. It is how Mr.Beliveau became captain. Dont know who changed that policy or why?

I thik Patches is earning the title of captain more and more every week. Yes, unofficially, Carey is the captain of this team, but I've never been a fan of seeing Goalies as captains.

So I think that during the off-season, Max will be named captain!

Guest Stogey24

I thik Patches is earning the title of captain more and more every week. Yes, unofficially, Carey is the captain of this team, but I've never been a fan of seeing Goalies as captains.

So I think that during the off-season, Max will be named captain!

Need your captain on the bench during games

Do not want to see Price as captain at all. I was wavering more towards Subban before the start of the year, but Max has come on strong so far and is establishing himself as the leader on the ice. However, there is still a ton of hockey left to be played before they name the captain. I want to see what happens in the playoffs when the games really mean something to see who emerges.

Lundquist us the leader for the NYR. He is not captain and doesn't need the C to be the leader. Price is a leader doesn't need the C to be one. Maxpac for captain is the best option- also potentially an incentive to give home town discount in 4 years.

Montreal is the last place to have a goalie captain controversy.

Here's what I want:

Martin and Gainey changes the policy. Dum move.

Bang on. I will only add that the players should vote. It is how Mr.Beliveau became captain. Dont know who changed that policy or why?

Martin and Gainey changes the policy. Dum move.

Here is an article by Allan Maki on why NO NHL team has the players vote anymore. Saku would probably have been one of the last chosen by a vote (i think he was) ,

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/the-nhls-captain-corporate-character-chutzpah-class/article14450847/

I don't know about everyone else but that Avatar seems wierd/creepy. probably just me. :)

I just don't want Price to have to talk to the journalists everytime he allows 5+ goals and gets pulled.

Captain, as per team rules, I believe, has to be available all the time to answer media's questions.

Here is an article by Allan Maki on why NO NHL team has the players vote anymore. Saku would probably have been one of the last chosen by a vote (i think he was) ,

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/the-nhls-captain-corporate-character-chutzpah-class/article14450847/

I don't know about everyone else but that Avatar seems wierd/creepy. probably just me. :)

Thanks for the article. All sounds good as to why the ownership, gm and coach pick the captain. However all the so called risk factors of getting the wrong one applies to both systems. Whether it be the players who vote or the gm/coach picking who wears the C. Yes the players may pick one that management thinks will not "sell the product' as well and another. (in a place like montreal that is not a concern) One thing we know is if the players pick the captain, they are not going to be fired or replaced before the end of the season. Cant say the same about management. I think more cases than not the players would vote in who management wanted anyways...and vice versa. Sens did not do so good last season with their selection of Spezza. Nucks with Bobby Lou??? In Nucks case the players would have voted for Sedin not Bobby the choker Lou.Turns out the players would have been bang on there and management looked ridiculous giving it to Luongo. At the time and in hindsight.

In Montreal I believe the players would vote for markov and he again would turn it down. He is the unofficial captain as it stands now. Heck his nick name in the room is "The General" ......rather obvious.

But I believe Max will get it when the time comes. Unless it is left up to MT, then its DD for sure. :monkey:

Need your captain on the bench during games

Yep, Price would be my choice if the job was something a goalie could do, but I guess it would be hard, and pressure packed. Roy was our captain in leadership too, the room is one thing, but the captain probably needs to be the leader of the bench....

Ya know.. I think you're right. If there are any small residue resentments involved for the one not picked.. a general vote might ease the situation a bit. Patches does seem a good choice.. and I don't like the Price idea partly because half the time the "captain" will be at the other end of the ice standing alone. More useful in the thick of things, and more in common with the other players.. skating, getting hit...etc.

But as a friend said to me the other day.. "What the hell do you know, turkey!"

:blush: