Pacioretty for Captain

Davehab

Price can't be the captain because he doesn't start every game.

Something else, Subban should win a few points because of what he means to Montreal. Think of Koivu and Jean Beliveau. They had a huge impact on the community. I think Pacioretty is more mature and educated than PK, but PK would be better PR.

Which avatar are you referring to?

Here is an article by Allan Maki on why NO NHL team has the players vote anymore. Saku would probably have been one of the last chosen by a vote (i think he was) ,

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/the-nhls-captain-corporate-character-chutzpah-class/article14450847/

I don't know about everyone else but that Avatar seems wierd/creepy. probably just me. :)

Subban would have been my choice before the season. But if he wants to be a leader, he needs to mature both on and off the ice.

Can't continue to take a lot of stupid penalties - not a quality you want in a captain.

He also needs to tone it down a bit off the ice. If he is going to be an effective leader he can't be thought if someone who us seeking the spotlight and attention.

P.K way before patches. P.k stands in there when to going gets rough patches lets little guys fight his battles. Captain shows heart enough said. Markov is the first choice but i don't think he wants it.

Bingo. He also can't be calling out the D or forwards letting their man go as a captain - could be seen as self serving.

Price can't be the captain because he doesn't start every game.

Something else, Subban should win a few points because of what he means to Montreal. Think of Koivu and Jean Beliveau. They had a huge impact on the community. I think Pacioretty is more mature and educated than PK, but PK would be better PR.

Although, like all of you, I have no idea what goes on in the dressing room between periods, from watching the last few years I am confident saying that there is one person on that bench that all the players listen to. He's the one who has visibly scolded PK when he needed it, and although he doesn't say a lot, he is probably the most respected voice on the team. Markov needs to be captain.

NHL Captains today that take stupid penalties like Subban:

- Dion Phaneuf

- David Backes

- Dustin Brown

- Eric Staal

- Zdeno Chara

- Ryan Getzlaf

Brown might not look like it at first glance but ask a lot of Kings fans and he loves his offensive zone penalties.

Also Koivu and Damphousse took a lot of dumb penalties. Both were hooking kings.

Phaneuf should never have been captain and Stall is a lousy captain.

Most of the others are much more physical players than Subban and a lot of their penalties are the more physical type of calls. A lot of their teammates also take those types of stupid penalties, following their captains lead.

I love Subban - he's my favorite Hab, and would live for him to be captain, but he has to stop taking lazy types of penalties and tone down his off ice demeanour. I'd like to see more Toews in his on ice demeanour than brown. I didn't consider damphouse to be a great captain and that's not the type of captain I would want Subban to be.

NHL Captains today that take stupid penalties like Subban:

- Dion Phaneuf

- David Backes

- Dustin Brown

- Eric Staal

- Zdeno Chara

- Ryan Getzlaf

Brown might not look like it at first glance but ask a lot of Kings fans and he loves his offensive zone penalties.

Also Koivu and Damphousse took a lot of dumb penalties. Both were hooking kings.

PK is PK. On ice dynamite D. Off ice attention craver. Likes to clown around, kissing players as well as media guys after wins. Fires up the other team as much as his own at times. At odds with coach a lot of the time. Captain? Nah. He should wear an A but not the C. Humble him a little bit. Wont hurt. Markov is the captain for all intents and purposes for now. Max maybe be the front runner, although he seems to be campaigning for it. If so he should play a little tougher out there then. Get in there on the opposition when Gallagher is taking the cheap shots, instead of talking to the ref about it.

What? I have absolutely zero idea what you're talking about here.

The clowning around with the media and stuff like campaigning for the NHL 2015 cover.

So you want him to be a different person. Gotcha.

The twitter campaign for the cover of NHL15 was excessive. If I remember correctly, he was basically giving away merchandise to buy votes. How hard he pushed only to lose to Bergeron speaks volumes about his reputation outside of Montreal.

I wouldn't want to see any self promotion if he was the captain. Something like his Hyundai Helpers charity work is a good example of the kind of off ice endeavors a Montreal Canadiens captain should be involved with.

Starting this year the Captaincy was his to lose. If anything, they're giving him a year to mature. All of the other candidates are as ready as they'll ever be.

PK is a beauty, with tons of swagger and personality. I love that and regret that he has been under constant pressure to tone it down. Would that prevent him from being an effective captain? I don't know, but what I DO know is that his game has not gotten better this season. Patches' has. So I conclude that PK needs to focus on continuing to improve, not wearing a letter; while based on what we've seen so far, Pacioretty is ready for the added responsibility.

No, I want him to grow up and show some maturity. He showed a lot of maturity in the way he handled the racist bruin fan tweets. Than he started his NHL 2015 twitter campaign. If he is to be a captain, I want him to grow up first. Campaigning for a cover of a video game is beneath a captain of the Montreal canadiens.

The example for all captains just passed away this year. That's the bar. The Habs don't need a captain like chara, Dustin brown and certainly not Phaneuf.

Maxpac has shown he has matured enough to be taken seriously as a leader, Subban still has a way to go.

The twitter campaign for the cover of NHL15 was excessive. If I remember correctly, he was basically giving away merchandise to buy votes. How hard he pushed only to lose to Bergeron speaks volumes about his reputation outside of Montreal.

I wouldn't want to see any self promotion if he was the captain. Something like his Hyundai Helpers charity work is a good example of the kind of off ice endeavors a Montreal Canadiens captain should be involved with.

Starting this year the Captaincy was his to lose. If anything, they're giving him a year to mature. All of the other candidates are as ready as they'll ever be.

Exactly.

Don't get me wrong I actually really like PK. I think that he is great for the team both on and off the ice. just seems like he would be a great teammate and an all round likable guy.

But Patches is a leader, the kind of teammate that others look to when things get tough. A go-to kind of guy. If he has a good Post season this year he is all but assured the C.

not to mention somewhat superhuman... Long live the Wolveretti? or maybe Paciorine?

Dont think anybody said or implied they want pk "to be a different person". That would be silly and impossible actually. He is great just the way he is. Just some fans opinion that he is not the best suited guy for captain on this team. Not as much a knock on PK as it is a compliment on Markov and Pleks. If they wait a couple more years Gally would be a good candidate as well. As pk puts it "if everyone gave the effort gally does we would never lose a game"

Hey, and let's all face it, being the Captain of the Montreal Canadiens stinks. The pressure is brutal, the media is awful and the prestige really isn't what it used to be. Just ask Dion over in Toronto!

Not getting the captaincy could be a boon.

Yep. Some body upstairs thinks so. As you can see, they considered of all of them......and selected none of them. Good call

Gallagher will be a worthier candidate in two years that he is now

"Campaigning for a cover of a video game is beneath a captain of the Montreal canadiens."

And getting it can be much worse. My sister really regrets being on the cover of that video she starred in during a drunken romp through Vegas last December and hates that she's on the cover.. oh.. sorry.. I wasn't supposed to talk about that.. uh...sorry sis.. :blush:

"Campaigning for a cover of a video game is beneath a captain of the Montreal canadiens."

And getting it can be much worse. My sister really regrets being on the cover of that video she starred in during a drunken romp through Vegas last December and hates that she's on the cover.. oh.. sorry.. I wasn't supposed to talk about that.. uh...sorry sis.. :blush:

Sorry to break it to you buddy but now that you spoke about it, you must provide the relevant evidence.

Sorry TOHabs sis ;) and merry Xmas to you as well!

We were not that drunk...

• 1 month later...

IMO, Max is totally in the lead for that captaincy.

Sorry Subban.

Why change what isn't broken. The 4 alternate captains is working just fine. No point to changing the dynamics of the room.