Dec. 29, Habs vs Canes, 7 PM

dlbalr

What bothers me is that I'd love to talk about some of the Habs real problems like lack of shooting and how teams who center box (four players in the middle of a zone) tend to completely nullify the Habs scoring chances, but instead I spend a sizeable amount of posts debunking and arguing about ephemeral issues that usually have gone away already or having to remind the constant naysayers that some of the Habs issues are issues the best teams in the league have.

Not once have I read one of the pessimists discuss how similar our negative statistics are to a team like Calgary who was flash in the pan on their season success. Mostly because those pessimists were using Bob Hartley as some magic example of the coach we should have and now that narrative has died with Calgary's playoff chances.

Then again I put some folks on ignore so if they made the argument I wouldn't see it anyway. There's some real things to talk about that are issues with the Habs but they don't come up when we're talking about David Desharnais' ice time for the 76,446th post.

Most teams don't win playoff series when they lose their top goalie. Flip the teams and say Lundqvist goes down in the first game. I'm pretty sure the Habs would have been victorious if the goalie battle was Price/Talbot and everyone would have been thinking/saying that rather quickly. That has nothing to do with relying on a goalie more or less than another team (and I agree with you that Montreal relies on Price more than they should have to). If you're in the playoffs and forced to use a backup/3rd string goalie, odds being odds you're not going to do well.

To even it up if both price and lundquist are out. WE WIN. my opinion.

• Upvote 1

I too think we are coming out of the East, and in the finals, there is a lot to be confident about this Habs team.

Habs are sneaking up the charts on GA, and can score too, and then my argument for being able to win in the finals, our goalie.

Nobody can say that Price couldn't be the difference there....

What bothers me is that I'd love to talk about some of the Habs real problems like lack of shooting and how teams who center box (four players in the middle of a zone) tend to completely nullify the Habs scoring chances, but instead I spend a sizeable amount of posts debunking and arguing about ephemeral issues that usually have gone away already or having to remind the constant naysayers that some of the Habs issues are issues the best teams in the league have.

Not once have I read one of the pessimists discuss how similar our negative statistics are to a team like Calgary who was flash in the pan on their season success. Mostly because those pessimists were using Bob Hartley as some magic example of the coach we should have and now that narrative has died with Calgary's playoff chances.

Then again I put some folks on ignore so if they made the argument I wouldn't see it anyway. There's some real things to talk about that are issues with the Habs but they don't come up when we're talking about David Desharnais' ice time for the 76,446th post.

Yes i have noticed that the Habs do not adjust well (or at all) with the teams that center box them. Max's line is harder to contain but the other three lines get shut right out. Rangers put on a clinic in center boxing the habs in last years semi finals. Other clubs are following suit. Lindy Ruff had the the Stars doing it a couple of weeks ago. (believe it or not). Habs never really got any scoring chances till the third period, and again it was the pax line creating the limited chances they had. Its a good strategy for the teams that can maintain it. When ever I have seen the Habs have success against it, Markov and Subban are the reason. With the top line. Other than that, the habs scoring chances are nullified.

What should the habs do when the opposing team is obviously using that as their game plan? Any suggestions?