Bryan Allen on waivers; cleared

I expect he will have no choice if he clears. i don't have a feel whether he will clear or not?

He'll clear. Any team that wants him will wait until the Habs pay 50% (still more desirable than demoting him to Hamilton) and trade a low pick to save the money. (I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is indeed what happens in the coming days.)

I've also split the posts from the injury thread where this was being discussed into here as really, this should have its own thread.

He'll clear. Any team that wants him will wait until the Habs pay 50% (still more desirable than demoting him to Hamilton) and trade a low pick to save the money. (I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is indeed what happens in the coming days.)

I've also split the posts from the injury thread where this was being discussed into here as really, this should have its own thread.

Well I guess we had nothing to lose. Bourque or Allen some one is going to Bulldogs. Would have liked Allen to at least been a 7th defenceman, but I guess not. It is gonna hurt to give 50% to get rid of him.

It is gonna hurt to give 50% to get rid of him.

Is it? He costs $1.75 M on the cap at max to trade him* and $2.575 M on the cap if he's in Hamilton (both figures pro-rated, of course). What stings more? (*Of course, with a trade, there's always the possibility of taking a player back that could increase that number.)

I wish Allen joins the Bulldogs so we can play Tinordi less minutes or ship him to East Coast League for top pair minutes.

I know you're being sarcastic but I certainly wouldn't put it past Lefebvre to actually play Allen over a prospect (it just wouldn't be Tinordi, it'd be one of Dietz/Bennett instead).

Is it? He costs $1.75 M on the cap at max to trade him* and $2.575 M on the cap if he's in Hamilton (both figures pro-rated, of course). What stings more? (*Of course, with a trade, there's always the possibility of taking a player back that could increase that number.)

i think i would rather take a player back rather than give $.

I thought he still was able to be effective d-man, but I will trust the Mgmt group on that one and really no big loss (team seems to be getting along just fine without him),

Always other options, like SHL, KHL or Swiss league if he is still really competitive.

Can't seeing too many North Americans will be willing to go to the KHL these days.

I thought he still was able to be effective d-man, but I will trust the Mgmt group on that one and really no big loss (team seems to be getting along just fine without him),

Always other options, like SHL, KHL or Swiss league if he is still really competitive.

The story of Allen with the Habs is a telling one, and speaks to the sure-handedness of the MB regime.

1. Skilfully offloading a horrible player and a horrible contract, getting back a player on an expiring deal. Good deal-making, good cap management.

2. Despite outraged howls from fans on message boards, giving Allen a legitimate opportunity to show what he can, or can't, do. That shows both a willingness to take a close look at organizational assets, and a desire to fairly treat players. Good coaching/player evaluation.

3. Once Allen's limitations were confirmed, his spot went to an up-and-coming rookie who has been brought along gradually and carefully (Beaulieu). Good internal competition, good player development.

4. Once that rookie demonstrated that he was growing into the role, get rid of Allen. Good player development, good cap management, good meritocracy.

Everything about this situation has been exemplary of how elite organizations operate IMHO.

• Upvote 2

Allen clears and has been sent to Hamilton. No big shocker there, now we wait for the inevitable trade to happen.

The Habs save about $475,000 in actual cap space (the pro-rated $925k). For those who like the cap space on deadline projection, that took them from $6.9 million to almost $9.2 M. Yes, $475k can make that much of a difference in that calculation...which is why it's not very wise to look at that number in January.

The story of Allen with the Habs is a telling one, and speaks to the sure-handedness of the MB regime.

1. Skilfully offloading a horrible player and a horrible contract, getting back a player on an expiring deal. Good deal-making, good cap management.

2. Despite outraged howls from fans on message boards, giving Allen a legitimate opportunity to show what he can, or can't, do. That shows both a willingness to take a close look at organizational assets, and a desire to fairly treat players. Good coaching/player evaluation.

3. Once Allen's limitations were confirmed, his spot went to an up-and-coming rookie who has been brought along gradually and carefully (Beaulieu). Good internal competition, good player development.

4. Once that rookie demonstrated that he was growing into the role, get rid of Allen. Good player development, good cap management, good meritocracy.

Everything about this situation has been exemplary of how elite organizations operate IMHO.

Agree and seems to making smart moves for dure.

Much more active than I would of ever guessed would be.

Allen clears and has been sent to Hamilton. No big shocker there, now we wait for the inevitable trade to happen.

The Habs save about $475,000 in actual cap space (the pro-rated $925k). For those who like the cap space on deadline projection, that took them from $6.9 million to almost $9.2 M. Yes, $475k can make that much of a difference in that calculation...which is why it's not very wise to look at that number in January.

9.2 million What a shopping trip MB could have. :hyper:

9.2 million What a shopping trip MB could have. :hyper:

Don't forget the flaws to that number. They have to keep some money for injuries and some for bonuses and even though that may only be a few hundred thousand, it would take 2-3 million off that $9.2 M.

Since he struggles with speed and mobility in the NHL I doubt that he would be successful on international ice

I see him as a Douglas Murray minus the (occasionally) outstanding physicality. I.e., not a d-man we need but an excellent move to shed Bourque. If MB manages to trade Allen for as much as a 5th round pick this trade will have been outstanding for MTL in my humble opinion. As CC notes everything about the trade and BA's handling have indicated outstanding management and the ability to handle players correctly.

I think that Allen will be retained as depth unless somebody offers a pick or is included in a bigger deal.