NY Islanders at Montreal Canadiens | January 17th, 2015 | 1900EST

lazy26

Guest Stogey24

Clutterbuck hits Bournival. Bournival sells it hard.

Bunch of Habs cause a big fight. Markov is on the ice during this scrum. Markov gets hurt during the scrum and we have to now lean harder on Subban, Gonchar and Emelin.

Was it worth it for a dive?

A teammate isn't there to just pass you the puck.

We only have one guy on this team who can be considered a fighter and that is Prust. Most of these guys couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. But you have to stand up for your team mates. That is what scrums are for. We can't fight but we can lip off with the best of them. Just keep the gloves on. :P I am serious this team is not designed to be tough. It is a fast skilled team and oh so soft like the pillsbury dough boy. We don't need fighters to win so let's not worry about that. Gallagher Subban are world class lippers. We have to go with what we got. But that doesn't mean they can't get in the guy's face and call him a forking icehole. After that let Prust handle it. :habslogo:

We only have one guy on this team who can be considered a fighter and that is Prust. Most of these guys couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. But you have to stand up for your team mates. That is what scrums are for. We can't fight but we can lip off with the best of them. Just keep the gloves on. :P I am serious this team is not designed to be tough. It is a fast skilled team and oh so soft like the pillsbury dough boy. We don't need fighters to win so let's not worry about that. Gallagher Subban are world class lippers. We have to go with what we got. But that doesn't mean they can't get in the guy's face and call him a forking icehole. After that let Prust handle it. :habslogo:

you can also grab a guy. pair off.

btw NB can fight.

not to forget, opposing teams dont have twenty fighters either. While i know the habs are real soft, (softest in the nhl some think) you dont have to know you are going to win a fight to get into one. The old win "win, lose, or draw, your not getting away with that"

Chelios admitted he was not a good fighter, but learned how to do it without getting beat up. Better than calling your self a team mate and skating away when things get rough. Never witnessed a habs team in forty plus years do that as often as this club does.

You can come up with all the excuses you want to explain that away, or just admit this team is so soft some nights its embarrassing.

you can also grab a guy. pair off.

btw NB can fight.

not to forget, opposing teams dont have twenty fighters either. While i know the habs are real soft, (softest in the nhl some think) you dont have to know you are going to win a fight to get into one. The old win "win, lose, or draw, your not getting away with that"

Chelios admitted he was not a good fighter, but learned how to do it without getting beat up. Better than calling your self a team mate and skating away when things get rough. Never witnessed a habs team in forty plus years do that as often as this club does.

You can come up with all the excuses you want to explain that away, or just admit this team is so soft some nights its embarrassing.

Nate the great can fight? He had 1 fight that lasted 12 seconds. He handled himself ok but at 6ft 195 he is not going to intimidate anyone. However I do agree with your post except I am not making excuses, I am being realistic about the make up of our team. Last year we brought guys in to fight and it made no difference to winning games, which is what the goal is. This is a soft team, asking them to fight is unrealistic. I wonder how many of these guys have ever had a fight in their careers?

Nate the great can fight? He had 1 fight that lasted 12 seconds. He handled himself ok but at 6ft 195 he is not going to intimidate anyone. However I do agree with your post except I am not making excuses, I am being realistic about the make up of our team. Last year we brought guys in to fight and it made no difference to winning games, which is what the goal is. This is a soft team, asking them to fight is unrealistic. I wonder how many of these guys have ever had a fight in their careers?

i have watched him in hamilton for three season. His father is a well known tough guy as well. The two of them were charges a couple of years ago in a brawl over the summer. ha!

btw....he has had two nhl fights this season. Dropping both guys.

I'm saying he is willing. And to a team that has Prust and nobody else willing, that is note worthy.

i merely mentioned he "can" fight............"asking them to fight is unrealistic" nobody is asking them to HR, and you dont have to tell me or anybody else this team is soft (PJ Stock tells a national TV audience all the time).................i have stated on more than one occasion this habs team is the softest IN HISTORY. But even without the fighting this team can toughen up. Weiss is that type of player as well. Willing.

MB likes a tough team and have heard him say so. He was the type of player who stuck up for teammates, i'm sure we will gradually move away from the softest team to play against...............but again, not over night.

i have watched him in hamilton for three season. His father is a well known tough guy as well. The two of them were charges a couple of years ago in a brawl over the summer. ha!

btw....he has had two nhl fights this season. Dropping both guys.

I'm saying he is willing. And to a team that has Prust and nobody else willing, that is note worthy.

i merely mentioned he "can" fight............"asking them to fight is unrealistic" nobody is asking them to HR, and you dont have to tell me or anybody else this team is soft (PJ Stock tells a national TV audience all the time).................i have stated on more than one occasion this habs team is the softest IN HISTORY. But even without the fighting this team can toughen up. Weiss is that type of player as well. Willing.

MB likes a tough team and have heard him say so. He was the type of player who stuck up for teammates, i'm sure we will gradually move away from the softest team to play against...............but again, not over night.

ok

I just love the banishment of the 4-5minute goon out of the NHL.

Are there any even left on any team?

Great and smart step for NHL owners.

(Islanders out hit Habs 42-21 and how did that play out for Isles? 100% irrelevant wasn't it?)

I just love the banishment of the 4-5minute goon out of the NHL.

Are there any even left on any team?

Great and smart step for NHL owners.

(Islanders out hit Habs 42-21 and how did that play out for Isles? 100% irrelevant wasn't it?)

Yeah - who misses the goons, anyway? The whole thing was stupid. We seem to be returning to the norm prior to the expansion era, where every player has to be able to play hockey, and where an ability to fight is an extra skill in a player's toolkit (c.f. Prust) rather than all they bring to the table.

I still love the guys like Chris Nilan, Stan Johnathon.............fight great, stick up for teammates, and score twenty goals without ever getting on the pp. Not to mention Pat Verbeek, Rick Tocchet, Wendyl Clarke, could score 40 and would fight anybody including the heavy weights, while sticking up for teammates all day long.

Mr John Ferguson. I hope the video is out there somewhere of cragged faced John Ferguson trying to get Eddy Shack to fight. The challenging part was getting close because Eddy Shack....still wearing his Leaf jersey... took off over the boards and glass, left the player area and started running through and down the spectator rows trying to get away with a terrified look on his face! Another proud moment in Montreal / Toronto hockey. John Ferguson; tough guy. Shack...fan favorite perhaps?

Ahh..the goon old days... :blush:

Mr John Ferguson. I hope the video is out there somewhere of cragged faced John Ferguson trying to get Eddy Shack to fight. The challenging part was getting close because Eddy Shack....still wearing his Leaf jersey... took off over the boards and glass, left the player area and started running through and down the spectator rows trying to get away with a terrified look on his face! Another proud moment in Montreal / Toronto hockey. John Ferguson; tough guy. Shack...fan favorite perhaps?

Ahh..the goon old days... :blush:

lol... yea the goon ol days. If i remeber from Fergys book Thunder and Lightning he was brought up and put on a line with (to protect) Beliveau and Geoffrion. He scored two goals in his first game!

Getting out hit every night will hurt you in a 7 game series. Especially with all the small players the habs have. They don't need one goon, they need a few more forwards with size that will stick up for team mates when it's necessary, and to pound the other teams defense on the fore check.

Getting out hit every night will hurt you in a 7 game series. Especially with all the small players the habs have. They don't need one goon, they need a few more forwards with size that will stick up for team mates when it's necessary, and to pound the other teams defense on the fore check.

You are so right chris.

Now that I agree with 100%

I think we need Bourque and Moen back for the playoffs.

Hitting is simply not part of therrien's system. I can't say I agree with it, but it is evident that he wants people on the puck, not the body. Considering the make up of the team, it is probably a good strategy. My biggest issue with it is that the habs posession stats do not reflect a team using this system effectively. High shot blocking, low posession, low scoring, low hitting. Usually a team with low posession is hitting a lot more.

Curtis Glencross would be a good fit if Calgary are sellers.

Hitting is simply not part of therrien's system. I can't say I agree with it, but it is evident that he wants people on the puck, not the body. Considering the make up of the team, it is probably a good strategy. My biggest issue with it is that the habs posession stats do not reflect a team using this system effectively. High shot blocking, low posession, low scoring, low hitting. Usually a team with low posession is hitting a lot more.

Therriens system is referred to by some as a "scrambled eggs system". I dont know what you would call his system. I see a team that relies heavily on the goalie keeping them in the game untill max and PK can get a couple goals. Markovs talent being a major part of the other two scoring. When ever any one else scores they look as surprised as we the fans are. They are not a physical team and nor do they intend to be......so any system that includes physicality ( and they all do) is not in the hab game plan.

So as far as i can see Michele therrien does not have "a system" in the way the a hitchcock, julien, boudreau, babcock have one.

Therriens system is referred to by some as a "scrambled eggs system". I dont know what you would call his system. I see a team that relies heavily on the goalie keeping them in the game untill max and PK can get a couple goals. Markovs talent being a major part of the other two scoring. When ever any one else scores they look as surprised as we the fans are. They are not a physical team and nor do they intend to be......so any system that includes physicality ( and they all do) is not in the hab game plan.

So as far as i can see Michele therrien does not have "a system" in the way the a hitchcock, julien, boudreau, babcock have one.

I agree with this, but then i am the guy that brought up the scrambled egss a quote from some guy who gets paid to write about this stuff. I know I have never figured out the system.

Therrien has a pretty obvious system. Does anyone ever listen to opposing teams talk about us? I feel like this is something I shouldn't have to tell you. You shouldknow it.

Yes what do they say? Other than the cliches that are said about most teams " they have alot of speed up front" " good transition team" "they like to use the stretch pass" ?

Also, other teams also say the Habs are defensively sound, and apply a lot of pressure to force mistakes, and can score on the rush with the best of teams when you do make a mistake..... and of course Price ends all talk about the Habs...

Habs defense are stick checkers, almost like Markov trained them all, I don't like the fact that nobody ever seems to finish a check, but I get it... the scrambled eggs that is...