Carey Price..Hart Trophy?

ICEWATER77

Price has been ridiculous many games this season but think about the OT 1-0 loss against Tampa and that type of situation would happen a lot more often without Pacioretty.

Price 1

Pacs 2

Subban 3

Markov 4

offensively this team is no wear near as good as the 93' team. Right now have one guy who is a true threat offensively (MaxPac), in 93, we had Damphousse, Muller, Bellows and Leclair who had stepped up in the playoffs. They also had a Lebeau who was 30 goal scorer in the regular season and Depietro and Dionne who chipped in offensivley in the playoffs.

There's potential for Galchenyuk, Gallaghar and Eller to step up, but in the playoffs, but we have enough 4th liners to put together 3 lines.

Defensively, we have top end talent (Markov & Subban) than the 93 team, but as a whole that team was much better defensively.

Well, I'm not trying to argue that this team is as good as the '93 team. What I will say is that there is a very similar discourse around the two teams. (Even the late-season swoon is similar, as is the concomitant claim that the swooning team is somehow the 'real' team, while the team that played from October to February somehow isn't). It's easy to forget how many fans in 1993 also took the view that our team had absolutely 'no chance' against offensively-stacked teams like the Nordiques or the Penguins - we were even underdogs against the Sabres that year, because they had Mogilny and Lafontaine - and that we were not 'real' contenders despite having competed for first place overall for almost the entire season. One big difference is that our goalie in '93 had a sub-par regular season, so there wasn't the same 'we'd be nothing without Roy' attitude; that didn't kick in until the playoffs.

The goalie is part of the team. And I disagree with the double-standard according to which teams that are highly reliant on a single position player (Chara, Ovechkin) don't come in for the same kind of criticism as teams that are highly reliant on their goalie. At day's end, though, either type of team can come away with a W.

Now, I hear what critics of this particular team are saying. They're not entirely off-base, but we should recall that this core reached the semi-finals last year despite having all the same weaknesses. (In fact, we are stronger at the crucial D position now). Today's NHL is marked by considerable parity and most teams have flaws.

We have the best goalie. If a critical mass of our forwards can get hot at the right time, and our D plays as it should, we will be hard to beat. Sure, I'd rather be the Chicago Blackhawks. But it doesn't follow that because we are not the Chicago Blackhawks, we have no chance at all, or that we suck eggs.

Cautious optimism is the appropriate attitude toward the Habs heading into these playoffs, it seems to me.

Agree yes that is what will happen, avoid any issue with Price being hurt and can rest him, for one last meaningless game of year vs Leafs.

IMO he's the type of player that if he plays a lot of the better he plays. Breaks make him weak.

Tend to agree with that.

As far as the record goes. About 8 of Prices 42 wins would have been ties in the day Dryden and Plante reached 42. I think Carey has 34 wins (without extra time and shoot outs) Doug would know the exact number.

Play him against Detroit, play Tokarski against Toronto.

I like that idea. Although if I were making the decision I would put him in against Detroit to try to get win 43. And if he gets it, sit him against Toronto, if he doesn't then he plays against Toronto. I don't believe he needs that much rest, as there will be a small break before the playoffs start. And if he got injured that last game that I put him in for, I would jump off of a tall building.

Not a chance he will dress vs Leafs and why would you dress him? Just isn't 'smart' no matter what records are at stake.

Goalie's don't need a rest, they are the most taxed of all players arnt they?

Not a chance he will dress vs Leafs and why would you dress him? Just isn't 'smart' no matter what records are at stake.

Goalie's don't need a rest, they are the most taxed of all players arnt they?

I wouldn't say there is no chance he dresses against the Leafs. I agree a record should be secondary to any possible post season success, but there will be 4 or 5 days off before the playoffs start and Price is used to a heavy workload. In my opinion, the main argument for keeping him out is to prevent an injury from happening, and to a lesser extent, to give Tokarski a game in case they need him at some point down the road. That being said, I actually do think Tokarski gets the Leaf game.

Too bad the games weren't swapped thurs for sat..I'd play Price at home vs Det on the sat night and Tokarski in Tor thurs. I agree about the time off Will, there will be enough time off before playoffs. But, the games are home thurs and away sat..that may be too much time off, don't want ring rust to set in.

Tend to agree with that.

As far as the record goes. About 8 of Prices 42 wins would have been ties in the day Dryden and Plante reached 42. I think Carey has 34 wins (without extra time and shoot outs) Doug would know the exact number.

They don't ask how they just ask how many. 42 it is. :)

If I were MT, in this case, I would just ask Price what he wants to do, he didn't look real happy on the bench last Tokarski start.

Play him if he wants to play, simple.

Remember that the 1993 team was considered offensively weak at the time, too. 3 goals/game was bottom of the league back then, though. the fact that the habs had no 100 point guy and only two 90 point guys had people saying we didn't have the offensive talent to go anywhere.

The league has changed a lot since then. Relative to the rest of the league, our offense was the same then as it is now.

We got a few breaks that year too, of course the overtime magic, but Islanders weren't a match for us, nor was Buffalo really, although favored by some critics. Penguins got knocked out early that year, and our luck was running good, let's hope more of the same for this year...

Price sets record for Habs goalies for wins with 43 ... what is the NHL record?