Detroit Fire of 2015: Habs @ Joe Louis Arena, 7:30 PM EST

I Like your confidence boys.

"dont understand why nobody is taking them too seriously"

really?

Been pointed out all year in the sports columns that the habs are not even top 20 in scoring goals. Not even top 25 in scoring goals on the road. Have been beaten by some pretty lousy teams. That Price hides a lot of deficiencies. They have a sputtering powerplay.Those are some of the reasons why some "dont take them too seriously" Eventually in a long play offs one or all of those short comings can really hurt your chances.

I am hoping this underdog Habs play off team can pull off and upset .............but its no mystery to me why some are "not taking them too seriously"

A team that gets to the Semi-Finals, then ends up the next season at #2 overall (our current pace), should be "taken seriously." Yeah, we've lost to bad teams. So where have all those points come from? Answer: beating the league's top teams, reliably and consistently. I look at a team that reliably beats the league's better teams, and, again, I don't see an obvious underdog.

I think a narrative has materialized that says the Habs are all goaltending. There is an element of truth to this, although it's hardly the whole story (the Habs do a rather good job of minimizing second chances in the defensive zone, for instance; and you don't dominate teams in the third period, when the game is on the line, without being a pretty good team). However, the idea that the Price Advantage will somehow evaporate in the playoffs doesn't really make sense, unless Price gets injured. All things being equal, Price will continue to stone opposing teams once the post-season starts. Patches and PK will continue to terrorize opponents and we'll continue to get "just enough" offence to win. In short, there is no obvious reason to think we won't continue to be a dangerous team after Game 82. Again, this is no guarantee of success, but it does tell against the idea that we're "actually" an 8th seed or something.

I'm sure someone will miss the point again and think I'm saying that the 2014-2015 Montreal Canadiens are exactly the same as the 1992-1993 Montreal Canadiens just because I'm pointing something out in their results (so few understand what a comparison is anymore) but these are some of the Habs losses in 1992-1993:

- Ottawa Senators 3-5

- Philadelphia Flyers 3-4 OT

- New York Rangers 5-10

- Hartford Whalers 2-5

- Hartford Whalers 5-6

- Tampa Bay Lighting 1-3

- Minnesota North Stars 3-4

Remember, the Sens and Lightning were expansion teams and Montreal lost to both that year. They only had one game where they dominated the Senators in a 4-1 win. The rest were one and two goal games, including an OT win. A big reason people remember the Habs in 93 to be a "weak Cup champion" was the amount of losses they had to better teams like Boston, Pittsburgh and Washington. Vancouver and Toronto also beat them pretty handily which gave doubt to Montreal going far as well. Montreal let a division lead slip with a terrible March, they lost to expansion teams and couldn't beat the strongest teams in the league.

Didn't matter much when we got to the playoffs, did it?

Hear all that boys.

But they dont have the scoring. 21 st in the league is concerning.

28th on the road is down right lousy

i have wanted to see improvement there all season.............has been none.

your thoughts on that?

I thought it was inevitable that they will lose with Therrien as coach & Smurf centres who disappear in playoffs (and that is unlikely to change by March 2nd), so why would one care if scoring is good or bad? If improves will just postpone golf season by a week or two and also delay the firing of Therrien.

Oh and don't forget the "Blowouts" what about the blowouts! Habs being shutout in 4 or 5 games in the fall was also one of the seven signs of massive failure to come!

Hear all that boys.

But they dont have the scoring. 21 st in the league is concerning.

28th on the road is down right lousy

i have wanted to see improvement there all season.............has been none.

your thoughts on that?

These are legitimate concerns. The dependence on Patches is ridiculous. It's just that I don't see them as all-consuming concerns that obviate the team's very real strengths, as well as its very real ability to win lots and lots of hockey games, including - maybe especially - against powerful teams, both throughout this season and last year and in the playoffs. Once again, though, I don't want to minimize the challenge the Habs, like any other team, will face in getting out of the Conference; we have real weaknesses, as you point out. But so do the teams we'll be playing.

I Like your confidence boys.

"dont understand why nobody is taking them too seriously"

really?

No, not really at all...

You miss quoted me.

I said.... I don't need to understand why.

And I still don't care...

I think Beregevin knows exactly what he is building here...

Again, not saying we're the Kings but seriously folks:

2014-2015 Habs

GPG: 23rd (2.56)

Home Goals: 8th (95)

Road Goals: 29th (56)

2013-2014 Kings

GPG: 26th (2.42)

Home Goals: 26th (103)

Road Goals: 24th (95)

To be sure I want this team scoring more goals because bad habits are hard to break but we need to stop acting like "if we don't have x goals we won't get to the y"

Guest Stogey24

2014-2015 Habs

2013-2014 Kings

To be sure I want this team scoring more goals because bad habits are hard to break but we need to stop acting like "if we don't have x goals we won't get to the y"

L.A cranked up their scoring from February on last year. They're starting the same trend this year.

I thought it was inevitable that they will lose with Therrien as coach & Smurf centres who disappear in playoffs (and that is unlikely to change by March 2nd), so why would one care if scoring is good or bad? If improves will just postpone golf season by a week or two and also delay the firing of Therrien.

Oh and don't forget the "Blowouts" what about the blowouts! Habs being shutout in 4 or 5 games in the fall was also one of the seven signs of massive failure to come!

spoken like a good little cheerleader

2014-2015 Habs

2013-2014 Kings

kings led play offs in goals scored................ if habs do that i'll eat my words ok.

Cheerleading or simply optimistic? I don't care.

Skeptic or simply cautious ? I don't care

These are legitimate concerns. The dependence on Patches is ridiculous. It's just that I don't see them as all-consuming concerns that obviate the team's very real strengths, as well as its very real ability to win lots and lots of hockey games, including - maybe especially - against powerful teams, both throughout this season and last year and in the playoffs. Once again, though, I don't want to minimize the challenge the Habs, like any other team, will face in getting out of the Conference; we have real weaknesses, as you point out. But so do the teams we'll be playing.

Well said.

I'm sure someone will miss the point again and think I'm saying that the 2014-2015 Montreal Canadiens are exactly the same as the 1992-1993 Montreal Canadiens just because I'm pointing something out in their results (so few understand what a comparison is anymore) but these are some of the Habs losses in 1992-1993:

- Ottawa Senators 3-5

- Philadelphia Flyers 3-4 OT

- New York Rangers 5-10

- Hartford Whalers 2-5

- Hartford Whalers 5-6

- Tampa Bay Lighting 1-3

- Minnesota North Stars 3-4

Remember, the Sens and Lightning were expansion teams and Montreal lost to both that year. They only had one game where they dominated the Senators in a 4-1 win. The rest were one and two goal games, including an OT win. A big reason people remember the Habs in 93 to be a "weak Cup champion" was the amount of losses they had to better teams like Boston, Pittsburgh and Washington. Vancouver and Toronto also beat them pretty handily which gave doubt to Montreal going far as well. Montreal let a division lead slip with a terrible March, they lost to expansion teams and couldn't beat the strongest teams in the league.

Didn't matter much when we got to the playoffs, did it?

not if winning two rounds is what you call success.

No, not really at all...

You miss quoted me.

I said.... I don't need to understand why.

And I still don't care...

I think Beregevin knows exactly what he is building here...

apologize for miss quoting you. my bad KoRP

and agree with you hundred per cent on Beregevin