Sekac traded to Anaheim for Smith-Pelly

sim.on

S-Pelly on line changing and switching between wing and center. "the lines were always changing over there (anahiem) Hard for some guys to get any traction. Get comfortable in one spot then get moved, kind of difficult"

Well that experience will come in handy under Therrien. No different in Montreal.

Except that he won't be playing center or left wing with the Habs like he did with the Ducks. Constant line changing yes, different positions, no.

Tell that to larry.

But yes the habs already have five centerman.

Exactly. DSP was acquired because he's a natural RW; I don't see him switching positions anymore than Gallagher or Weise.

Exactly. DSP was acquired because he's a natural RW; I don't see him switching positions anymore than Gallagher or Weise.

Thats right. But he will play with every center they have, most of the wingers, .........by the end of tonight. :rofl:

Boudreau once moved Silfverberg to four different lines in one period. I think it was him. I remember Ducks fans talking about it. When from LW top line to RW third line to LW fourth line to RW second line in all one period.

Boudreau tinkers to the point where people think he forgets which line is which.

Guest Stogey24

For anyone curious, he started on the top line and was moved to the fourth line by the end of the game, replaced by Rene Bourque.

Why? Because Bruce Boudreau loves to change his lines. All the time.

I watched the third, he actually look pretty good. I had to watch it on my small ass t.v and I could tell it was him everytime he had the puck. Bourque looked garbage( didn't even notice him, I just know he was garbage).

Dumb Therrien eh!

Just imagine if had a better coach, what a powerhouse they would be then.

Wings coach went to McGill is that 'French-enough'?

Talk to me when he actually wins a championship. Cause with a hart trophy goalie, a norris trophy dman, a star vet like markov, a stars like Pacs and Chucky, all the young guns brought in by a genious of a gm...........with ALL that if MT does not bring home a cup in the not to distant future..........he's gone.

Babcock learn broken french? :nuts:

Every coach mixes and matches lines and shuffles some players - especially players that are still finding their way - into different positions. Like I always say, of all the criticisms of Therrien, this one is the dumbest.

• Upvote 1

Every coach mixes and matches lines and shuffles some players - especially players that are still finding their way - into different positions. Like I always say, of all the criticisms of Therrien, this one is the dumbest.

I hear that. He and Boudreau are notorious for it though. Not as much a criticism as a puzzling observation? He switches lines up after a bad loss or a great win, a shoot win or a shoot out loss, play off win, play off loss, after getting shut out or after shutting the other team out..........my long time, hab fan neighbor calls him "the mad scientist" :ph34r:

Ideally, such a strategy gets teammates to develop chemistry with the entire team, which helps in scenarios when players are penalized, injured, ejected, or lines do need to be shifted on the fly for any other reason.

There are obvious negatives to it, but I'm not sure that having very fluid, easily morphable lines is a bad strategy.

Ideally, such a strategy gets teammates to develop chemistry with the entire team, which helps in scenarios when players are penalized, injured, ejected, or lines do need to be shifted on the fly for any other reason.

There are obvious negatives to it, but I'm not sure that having very fluid, easily morphable lines is a bad strategy.

It is pros and cons of both. If they were among top scorers in league would not even question it.

I'm never content till they have a Cup. So always looking for ways to improve where there is room for improvement.

One other advantage, by the way, is in befuddling your opponent. This is especially true on the road. If you're shifting line combinations on the fly, your opponent either has to go with a matchup strategy that no longer applies, or shift as well. If they're not prepared for this, and you are, you have the advantage.

I have zero problem with MT fiddling with lineups and breaking up winning combinations as long as our playoff spot is secure. do we really want to play a perfect lineup that other teams can have months to gameplan against?

MT should test EVERY possible line up and remember to never ice the bad ones again and save the ones that work for the postseason. why show the opponents all our cards before the real poker match begins?

• Upvote 1

I have zero problem with MT fiddling with lineups and breaking up winning combinations as long as our playoff spot is secure. do we really want to play a perfect lineup that other teams can have months to gameplan against?

MT should test EVERY possible line up and remember to never ice the bad ones again and save the ones that work for the postseason. why show the opponents all our cards before the real poker match begins?

I like your take on it.

haha that sounds like the rule we adopted in HWL concerning "ghost lines". :D

You know that is very astute.

I see this trade as a way to make a minor improvement now, without sacrificing much of the future. Yes, Sekac has a higher upside/potential than Smith-Pelly. But it's not SO much higher that we're going to be screaming at MB in 3 years. However, I do believe that Smith-Pelly fills a need that the team has at this moment (toughness), while Sekac was NOT filling the need he would address if playing up to that potential (offense.)

I see this trade as a way to make a minor improvement now, without sacrificing much of the future. Yes, Sekac has a higher upside/potential than Smith-Pelly. But it's not SO much higher that we're going to be screaming at MB in 3 years. However, I do believe that Smith-Pelly fills a need that the team has at this moment (toughness), while Sekac was NOT filling the need he would address if playing up to that potential (offense.)

I've moved on to "acceptance." SP fits an organizational need and he also fits a team positional need (RW). In a sense it's a classic "hockey trade," moving strength for strength. The deal only blows up in our faces if Sekac ends up slotting in with Getzlaf and Perry and pulls a John LeClair on us.

As a rookie with just 30 or so games under belt, who the heck knows what Sekac will be like down the road.

Hard to call him a bust or underachieving so darn early.

There was never any doubt what so ever thats why the trade was done. The habs were too soft. All ya have to do was watch SP skate last night to know they did not get him for his speed, talent, or scoring.

I've moved on to "acceptance." SP fits an organizational need and he also fits a team positional need (RW). In a sense it's a classic "hockey trade," moving strength for strength. The deal only blows up in our faces if Sekac ends up slotting in with Getzlaf and Perry and pulls a John LeClair on us.

John Leclair scored 19 goals with limited ice time as a third line centre in 1993 and repeated this in 1994. We knew what we were trading away. The fact that we included Eric Desjardins in that deal turned it into a horribly one-sided mistake.