Montreal Canadiens at NY Islanders | March 14th, 2015 | 1900 ET

lazy26

Oh no. Another powerplay for us. Can we work a deal where we are the ones playing shorthanded instead of the penalized team?

Thanks goodness we got a penalty.

There.. finally we get some offence going while shorthanded.

I just laugh at the pp. Actually remember when the coach use to comment on "working on the pp", "have to get the pp going", "we'll get it going" or "powerplay was better tonight"

Now its an after thought. We don't even hear anyone related to the club mention it. Like its accepted for what it is. Poor.

One theory is Carey Price is not part of it.

Everyone is an expert in a loss. Everyone is just a fan in a win.

Last great game the habs played was the win in St Louis. Dont need to be "an expert" to know that.

Or to notice, the winning line up that absolutely dominated the Blues in St Louis has not been iced since.

Good observations can me made after wins and losses.

Its why I read the posts on this board.

I just laugh at the pp. Actually remember when the coach use to comment on "working on the pp", "have to get the pp going", "we'll get it going" or "powerplay was better tonight"

Now its an after thought. We don't even hear anyone related to the club mention it. Like its accepted for what it is. Poor.

One theory is Carey Price is not part of it.

I think we should get Carey playing up at the opposing blue line during PP's , rushing in occasionally, as needed.

I don't get why we can't get a pp going. Didn't Crosby have a several month problem with the pp as well. His team ain't without some offensive pop. I was quite confident we'd get it going before long given our D men in particular. Oh well.

I think we should get Carey playing up at the opposing blue line during PP's , rushing in occasionally, as needed.

I don't get why we can't get a pp going. Didn't Crosby have a several month problem with the pp as well. His team ain't without some offensive pop. I was quite confident we'd get it going before long given our D men in particular. Oh well.

Unfortunately they won't let him past the red line, stupid rules, otherwise good idea. Can't do any worse then the mess pathetic we have now. :)

Yes our expectations were to high. His play is showing us that. That's all anybody is saying far as I can see. I've lowered my expectations of the young winger to hoping he can play center, because we need another one that is better than everyone we have.

So it is his fault that you placed extremely high expectations on him that he is a failure in your eyes? All he has done is outscore everyone else in his draft class and sits 4th in points per game on his first place team. The kid just turned 21, and perhaps if he played on a poor team he would be just given that top line center spot you so desperately want him to have. Unfortunately for you, management and himself included feel it is best that he is on the wing at this point. And, because of the TEAM'S success they are having with this setup, there isn't any reason for them to change. So on behalf of everyone associated with the Habs, I apologize to you for him not playing center and putting up huge points all while the wins keep piling up, like you assume they will.

So it is his fault that you placed extremely high expectations on him that he is a failure in your eyes? All he has done is outscore everyone else in his draft class and sits 4th in points per game on his first place team. The kid just turned 21, and perhaps if he played on a poor team he would be just given that top line center spot you so desperately want him to have. Unfortunately for you, management and himself included feel it is best that he is on the wing at this point. And, because of the TEAM'S success they are having with this setup, there isn't any reason for them to change. So on behalf of everyone associated with the Habs, I apologize to you for him not playing center and putting up huge points all while the wins keep piling up, like you assume they will.

I agree with your hockey comments - ie. Galchenyuk is doing fine for a 21 years old on a 1st place team.

The rest? not so much. that's his opinion and he may yet be right.

No it is not his fault. I have never said it was. Chucky is chucky.............and i did not get my high expectations from watching him play junior. Never saw him play. Got my expectations from media, Hab fans, boards like this, how high he went, read that if not for his kneee injury he made have been the first pick over all.

All that is being said now is that he is not the player we hoped. Nobodys fault will. Dont even know what you mean by "fault"

Chucky is not a bad talent. Some nifty flashy moves. Like a lot of players.

But lets not kid ourselves...........everyone was hoping we had a future superstar center. Read back to camp in 013. When they decided that this kid was ready for nhl at 18. That he did not need a single game in the AHL for development. Subban was sent to the A for development. Pacs was in the A for quite a while for development. DD, Pleknanic, Gallagher, Price, NB, ...... all those players were sent to the AHL for development. The Habs told us all that Chucky is so good he does not need that. We see not reason why this young stud should play one game in A.

You know what that translated to Will............really "HIGH EXPECTATIONS" put their by the men in charge of his development.....and yes I for one bought in.

• Upvote 1

No it is not his fault. I have never said it was. Chucky is chucky.............and i did not get my high expectations from watching him play junior. Never saw him play. Got my expectations from media, Hab fans, boards like this, how high he went, read that if not for his kneee injury he made have been the first pick over all.

All that is being said now is that he is not the player we hoped. Nobodys fault will. Dont even know what you mean by "fault"

But lets not kid ourselves...........everyone was hoping we had a future superstar center. Read back to camp in 013. When they decided that this kid was ready for nhl at 18. That he did not need a single game in the AHL for development. Subban was sent to the A for development. Pacs was in the A for quite a while for development. DD, Pleknanic, Gallagher, Price, NB, ...... all those players were sent to the AHL for development. The Habs told us all that Chucky is so good he does not need that. We see not reason why this young stud should play one game in A.

You know what that translated to Will............really "HIGH EXPECTATIONS" put their by the men in charge of his development.....and yes I for one bought in.

We all did. He is not a run of the mill 21 year old. He will be a superstar, if Le Genius lets him. Not saying that MT is really doing anything wrong except he a gifted offensive talent (my opinion), and needs to put into positions where he can succeed. All in all not bad but could be better.

We all did. He is not a run of the mill 21 year old. He will be a superstar, if Le Genius lets him. Not saying that MT is really doing anything wrong except he a gifted offensive talent (my opinion), and needs to put into positions where he can succeed. All in all not bad but could be better.

Yea could be. See rookies doing better in their first season than chucky in his third.

He may become superstar. Yes. That was said in 013, 014, and is now being said in 015. Ergo the talk of expectations lowering.

Personally , my expectations are on hold until i see him play at center for a season.

His lack of scoring (of late) does not worry me one but though, nobody scores playing with Plekanic as their center.

I tend to agree with Habs30/31 on this. There's a difference between saying Galy is a "failure" - which he manifestly is NOT - and saying he is a "disappointment" relative to the general expectations and excitement surrounding him when he was drafted and then made the team right away after missing a year of junior (!). All of that said a "star" talent and possibly prodigious talent.

Thus far, he has performed well by any standard except that one. But I doubt opposing teams are going, "we really have to watch out for this Galchenyuk kid, he's a game-changer." And I'm not entirely certain they'll ever say that...at this juncture, which is still very early in his development, Galy a strong bet to evolve into a good 1st-line W (not necessarily one of the most feared in the game) and certainly, worst case scenario, a strong second-liner. But, a talent who could define the franchise for his era? No sign of that so far.

I agree with your hockey comments - ie. Galchenyuk is doing fine for a 21 years old on a 1st place team.

The rest? not so much. that's his opinion and he may yet be right.

You mean he may be right that AG will eventually become a point producing centerman? I don't need a crystal ball to see that. What I do see at this point in time is him contributing to a contender and accepting whatever role his superiors deem necessary for them to be said contender. Are we going for the cup or are we trying to stroke some egos?

You literally say that fans like us put these high expectations on him, but since he hasn't reached them, it is a disappointment. Is that an organizational problem or a fan problem? He has been developing just fine through my eyes, it's too bad he hasn't been the superstar that others have wished at this point, but he is still very young. I feel like I am defending Price all over again. I fought tooth and nail with people saying that Price will be alright and this is all a normal learning curve. It's not realistic to expect AG to be the number 1 center on a contending team after turning 21 just a month ago. It's as simple as that.

I tend to agree with Habs30/31 on this. There's a difference between saying Galy is a "failure" - which he manifestly is NOT - and saying he is a "disappointment" relative to the general expectations and excitement surrounding him when he was drafted and then made the team right away after missing a year of junior (!). All of that said a "star" talent and possibly prodigious talent.

Thus far, he has performed well by any standard except that one. But I doubt opposing teams are going, "we really have to watch out for this Galchenyuk kid, he's a game-changer." And I'm not entirely certain they'll ever say that...at this juncture, which is still very early in his development, Galy a strong bet to evolve into a good 1st-line W (not necessarily one of the most feared in the game) and certainly, worst case scenario, a strong second-liner. But, a talent who could define the franchise for his era? No sign of that so far.

Is Tyler Seguin a prodigious talent? Was he brought along slowly on a contending team? Was he anointed the prestigious and coveted center position based on expectations? Is he a disappointment now at age 23? He wasn't just thrust into top line duty on a strong team. Heck, during their cup run they didn't even have him in the lineup until the second or third round. Once he was he started to contribute from a depth role and we all know how the Bruin story from that year ended. So again, my point is, it is not fair at all to expect a freshly turned 21 year old kid to be the go to guy on a cup contending team. What do we want from him? Aside from Pac he is arguably our most offensive threat at forward. And I would better believe opposing teams have him on their radar, why wouldn't they?

I agree Illwill, with everything you said... no need for examples, you are bang on.

The snow storm has us both up all night I see... lol.

I agree Illwill, with everything you said... no need for examples, you are bang on.

The snow storm has us both up all night I see... lol.

Lol yes it has. Normally I would be asleep at this hour but I am banking on there being no work tomorrow haha. I just came back inside from a walk and there isn't a plow in sight, so it looks like I might be good to go. #Eastcoastproblems

Guest Stogey24

You mean he may be right that AG will eventually become a point producing centerman? I don't need a crystal ball to see that. What I do see at this point in time is him contributing to a contender and accepting whatever role his superiors deem necessary for them to be said contender. Are we going for the cup or are we trying to stroke some egos?

You literally say that fans like us put these high expectations on him, but since he hasn't reached them, it is a disappointment. Is that an organizational problem or a fan problem? He has been developing just fine through my eyes, it's too bad he hasn't been the superstar that others have wished at this point, but he is still very young. I feel like I am defending Price all over again. I fought tooth and nail with people saying that Price will be alright and this is all a normal learning curve. It's not realistic to expect AG to be the number 1 center on a contending team after turning 21 just a month ago. It's as simple as that.

Is Tyler Seguin a prodigious talent? Was he brought along slowly on a contending team? Was he anointed the prestigious and coveted center position based on expectations? Is he a disappointment now at age 23? He wasn't just thrust into top line duty on a strong team. Heck, during their cup run they didn't even have him in the lineup until the second or third round. Once he was he started to contribute from a depth role and we all know how the Bruin story from that year ended. So again, my point is, it is not fair at all to expect a freshly turned 21 year old kid to be the go to guy on a cup contending team. What do we want from him? Aside from Pac he is arguably our most offensive threat at forward. And I would better believe opposing teams have him on their radar, why wouldn't they?

Seguin put up 67points at 20 years old.

I am not saying since he did not reach the TEAMS and most fans expectations that Chucky is a disappointment. What i am saying is the expectations have lowered, mine that is. You don't have to "defend him" You are not selling chuckys play and future value to anybody. After watching him play for three seasons your expectations are the same as when he was drafted. Mine are not. He's a good young winger for the habs. I hoped he would be a start center for the habs. Now I'm not so sure. Hope I'm wrong because the habs have been without a star centerman fort far too long.

In Seguins second season he played second and third line wing. With very little powerplay time. He recorded 29 goals and 38 assists in that season. Stats that top even Max Paxeriottys best season to date. Hardly fair to compare Chucky to TS.

Galchenyuk's stats are almost exactly like Jonathan Huberdeau's right now.

Compare him with Johansen, Galchenyuk had better stats in the first 100 games. Johansen followed that up with his 63 points in 82 games. Galchenyuk is on pace for around 50 points in 80 games. 13 less, sure. But Johansen had 96 points in 189 games. Galchenyuk is better than that already at 180 games.

Once again, I think we all need to take a deep breath and chillax about Chucky. The Kid is 21 years old. He should finish the season with about 50 points, (which isn't too bad at all)

He's imrpoving his defensive game (+14) and is learning things that will help him throughout his career!

Boy, people sure get defensive about this! For my part, anyway, I was IN NO WAY attacking or criticizing Galchenyuk. Just saying I'm not sure he'll shape up to be a Seguin-esque player for us, which is what many people hoped he'd become.

The response to this line of thought has taken two, distinct trajectories. One is to suggest that Galy is, indeed, on track to become a player as impactful and productive as (say) Seguin. E.g., Machine's observation that his PPG totals aren't all that far off those for Seguin's first 155 games; the implication being that Galy could still attain those heights. The other line of defence is to say that he's shaping up to be a very fine player and that we should never have asked for more. And all I'd suggest is that this second argument represents a genuine deflation of the expectations many people had for Galy when he first appeared. Nothing wrong with pointing that out.

One difference between me and Habs30 is that I don't especially care whether Galy becomes a C. My main question is whether he can be a player (winger OR centreman) of similar offensive impact to Seguin. I'm not very sure that he will. That's all.

The reason I like a Galchenyuk to Johansen comparison more is because Seguin is looking to end up one of those offensive players who doesn't do much else. If he doesn't have the puck I don't really worry. Galchenyuk is developing better skills without the puck which will make him a better rounded player. I'll take 10 less points a year if it means we can trust him to do more than just replace Desharnais.

I don't think anyone is really insulting Chuck. Just recognizing their expectations were off. And maybe now realizing he isn't developing as slow as they once thought but still not as fast as some other players. It'd be nice if he developed faster or gave a glimpse of his peak now but he's already a Top 25 left winger for league scoring. It's okay to still have high expectations but if he's not meeting them, that's not on the coach or even the player. That's on you.

The reason I like a Galchenyuk to Johansen comparison more is because Seguin is looking to end up one of those offensive players who doesn't do much else. If he doesn't have the puck I don't really worry. Galchenyuk is developing better skills without the puck which will make him a better rounded player. I'll take 10 less points a year if it means we can trust him to do more than just replace Desharnais.

I don't think anyone is really insulting Chuck. Just recognizing their expectations were off. And maybe now realizing he isn't developing as slow as they once thought but still not as fast as some other players. It'd be nice if he developed faster or gave a glimpse of his peak now but he's already a Top 25 left winger for league scoring. It's okay to still have high expectations but if he's not meeting them, that's not on the coach or even the player. That's on you.

Of course my expectations are on me. They sent a ton of guys to the A in Montreal my entire life. Pnly the greats dont go. I can think of four that did not . Guy,Gainey,Corson,Chucky . (corson went back to junior) I thought wow this 18 year old made the team right outta junior? Who does that in Montreal??? Yes my expectations were too high. I thought by his third season his coach would atleast deem him good enough to play center. But no. Thought he may even be out pointing Gallagher or Markov. I was wrong. He aint nearly as good as i thought/hoped he would be. That's on me. No kidding.

Guest Stogey24

Seguin: 89 points in first 155 games

Galchenyuk: 99 points in first 180 games

Stats are fun eh?

I'm just saying Seguin put up a big season early on in his career and never really looked back. I just think Galchenyuk's ceiling is more towards high 60's. I LOVE him, I just don't see him as a powerhouse

Guys, he is 21, give him a break, Guy Lafleur took time to become the superstar he was. He just hasn't done it YET. Next year who knows, He has shown flashes of being that superstar we want, be it at center or wing. If he can score 30+ goals a year, that will be great.

Guest Stogey24

Guys, he is 21, give him a break, Guy Lafleur took time to become the superstar he was. He just hasn't done it YET. Next year who knows, He has shown flashes of being that superstar we want, be it at center or wing. If he can score 30+ goals a year, that will be great.

Agreed